Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Updating our Profile
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 3 February 2004
Their is an interesting discussion going on in the carpet cleaning section about updating our profiles to include our location and correct name or company name

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=carpetequipment;action=display;num=1075575059

What do you guys think Huh I personally feel that if we have nothing to hide why not use your correct name and location Huh It looks more professional Wink

Steve
Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 3 February 2004
It may look more professional, but despite "Silly" not of course being my actual name, I have still had harrassment [in the form of unsolicited mail] from companies on here trying to sell me things.

What will be next? threats from other window cleaners in my area?

It seems that when people use the internet they are more likely to harrass others in a way that they never otherwise do.  I have had personal messages etc from people who I dont really want to know where I live, my phone number etc.

Silly
Hi Silly
        I take your point on address and telephone numbers but with a proper name and basic location and with your e mail address still hidden what would be the difference Huh At least other members would know who they are speaking too.

Steve
Posted by mickeyfat (VGC), 3 February 2004
i havnt a problem with it..i must admit im a newbie so the e mails havnt started coming yet, but i did have a cataloge in the post yesterday i didnt ask for...i still flick through to compare prices....i mean i put leaflets throgh doors!
also  the people without the details are normally the "louder" members ...what the worst that can happen with the datails being shown...
on 02/03/04 at 11:09:01, VGC wrote:
also  the people without the details are normally the "louder" members ...what the worst that can happen with the datails being shown...

Hi VGC
         I have had my details on here from day one including my web address which has my full details and i have not had any problems at all.

Steve
My thoughts exactly.No probs here, nothing big anyway  just some adveritising...If somone dont behave or messes about then they might get some hassle..
It didnt take me much to find this site.....so lets hope people in Plymouth do the same...you never know i might get some work out of it Smiley

i agree with what silly said but cant see why this would happen! Huh
on 02/03/04 at 10:50:46, Silly Philly wrote:
What will be next? threats from other window cleaners in my area?

Silly

Maybe he was reffering to:

http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Equipment;action=display;num=1075474327

I would also find it interesting if this was a little more explained!!
Maybe he means lonley housewifes Grin

on 02/03/04 at 10:50:46, Silly Philly wrote:
have had personal messages etc from people who I dont really want to know where I live, my phone number etc.

Silly

Wink

Posted by fez (fez), 3 February 2004
I don't see any problems with it. I've always shown my email address and where I live/work. I haven't received any abusive mail or anything.

I think that it's good to see where people are from; after all, we're here to help each other - right?  Huh.
The positive side to having your details is that i personally have done some sub contract jobs for a few members of this site so i am very happy to have my details on here Grin

Steve
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 3 February 2004
Steve ,
You have left one of your profile boxes empty Wink Cool
All sorted now John Grin  21 again Roll Eyes
Quote:
have had personal messages etc from people who I dont really want to know where I live, my phone number etc.

Not lonely housewives, but other people who live in this city asking :

"where do you do your's to,and where about's in bristol do you live,oh yes what sort of insurance cover do i need is it just liability insurance we need"... and on it went for 22 lines

Now in this particular case I didnt mind so much as it was a young lad who was starting up and needed advice.  But would someone come up to me in the street and ask me this? I don't think so.  

Quote:
a proper name and basic location and with your e mail address still hidden

This is not a telephone book listing:  here we express our views, discuss our prices, our business tactics.  From a proper name and location, it would be easy to find out other details using YELL or Thompson Local.  I'm sorry but this is not a private site, and I dont like the idea of people who might not agree with views I express being able to get at that information.

Now if I had all my details on there, would I be so free to object to a particular members comment?  Sometimes the topics get quite emotive.  Its not hard to imagine other, not so helpful window cleaners viewing this site and trying to intimidate.  (See "just been threatended with violence")

If this becomes a requirement, sorry but I will leave the forum.

Silly
i think in your case the area would be fine then if your getting that kind of hassle
i would have no chioce just to have PLYMOUTH and email on my profile if it got to bad...lets hope the censors keeps these sort of people out...if not this site might become a very distant and quite palce with people being afraid to answer

i for one dont think websites etc are a requirment...but as i have heard somone say before on here, i dont want to give to much away to somone that cleans in plymouth
I didn't mind this lad asking questions, I don't want him to be kept out.  But I also don't want to discuss where I live, what areas I work etc.  I just used this as an example.

I think if I had more details on, its only a matter of time before someone messages me saying they want me to stay off their patch, they read what I said about x topic and now I have to pay, I'd better watch my back, they know where I live, what my phone number is etc ...threat threat threat.

Will the forum protect me from such people?  If so how?  Is making comments on a forum worth the possibility of this hassle?  No.

Anonymnity, and generality is a protection we need.  I don't have anything to hide, but similarly I don't want window cleaners turning up at my house or phoning me after reading what I've written.

Silly
fine Wink cant argue with that Grin
on 02/03/04 at 15:05:09, Silly Philly wrote:
This is not a telephone book listing:  here we express our views, discuss our prices, our business tactics.  From a proper name and location, it would be easy to find out other details using YELL or Thompson Local.  I'm sorry but this is not a private site, and I dont like the idea of people who might not agree with views I express being able to get at that information.

Silly

You've got me worried now Silly! Sad

Maybe I shouldn't be so free with information. Undecided

Posted by paul (paul), 3 February 2004
i have no problem with it as long as i dont get spam Embarassed Huh Grin
When you think about it, putting on your email address isn't really necessary anyway as people can PM you if they want to contact you. It's usually the easiest way anyhow. Smiley
on 02/03/04 at 18:36:14, fez wrote:
You've got me worried now Silly! Sad

Maybe I shouldn't be so free with information. Undecided

Hi Fez
        I speak to quite a few guys off of this site who have their websites advertised on this site (With all their details)including myself and no one has mentioned any of these things and i have not noticed anyone using their own name complaining of these things  Roll Eyes After all we are professional cleaners not the sas Grin

Steve  

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 3 February 2004
I dont have a problem with it , I have a advert in the YP I have done flyers all have my details on ,I think that just a location and  christian name  should be enough if you want to contact anyone send them a pm
Why bring the Salvation Army Soldiers in to this
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 3 February 2004
Anyone can find out all your details anyway, just enter your name in here:-

http://www.humnri.com/enter/passport/

how did they get my photo

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.