Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Felt backed carpets

Posted by Drytech (Steve_B), 11 March 2004
Hi guys can you HWE a felt backed carpet?

I know there are cheap and will probably disappear up the vac but was just curious as i haven't been asked to clean one yet!

If so what chemical/method is best?

cheers
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 11 March 2004
In my experience cleaning with HWE, the carpet has rippled and then returned to its original state after a couple of days.
Posted by Scots_cleaner (Scots_cleaner), 11 March 2004
Just make sure you give it a good pre-vac

Its half the battle

Just dont soak the carpet too much

Barry
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 11 March 2004
Steve,

I have cleaned may of these and agree with the other posters.

The rippling John mentioned is due to swelling of the backing felt. This is avoided by tight moisture control - the light mist spray employed when useing micro-splitters makes them ideal for this purpose.

The main draw-back to this type of carpet is that it tends to stretch in use, so point out any pre-existing ripples before you start.

John.

Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 11 March 2004
They are also prone to shrinkage even when not overwetted.
Dave
Posted by Shaun_Ashmore (Shaun_Ashmore), 11 March 2004
Had your op yet Dave?

shaun
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 11 March 2004
on 03/11/04 at 22:21:04, Dave_Lee wrote:
They are also prone to shrinkage even when not overwetted.
Dave

Dave,

I do not doubt your comment but have not seen any evidence of shrinkage. Since these carpets cannot be very well secured any tendancy to shrink would be bad news  Sad

John.
Posted by woodman (woodman), 12 March 2004
Hi Steve

No problem at all with HWE on felt backed carry on as normal.

I also have never seen any shrinkage and I have cleaned bundles of it. Wink
Posted by MICHAEL_GAYTON (MICHAEL_GAYTON), 12 March 2004
be vary care full with any solent when treating oil etc
can leave you with a bubble the backing parting company. also cleaned lots no prob's
mick
Posted by nick.solution (nick.solution), 12 March 2004
MIck

You can use eco spotter for removing oil it contains no solvent

Best regards Nick
Posted by Drytech (Steve_B), 12 March 2004
Thanks guys. once again forum to the rescue.
Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 12 March 2004
John and Shaun,
Concerning shrinkage - Ive seen it on at least three occasions - obviously they wont shrink if well secured - the ones Ive seen showed signs that shrinkage had already taken place before cleaning so obviously werent secure.
Shaun,
Yes, had my op on wednesday, trying to rest up but finding it difficult - hobbled round to shop today on crutches - still Im getting up to date with that horrible paper work and preparing things to start back with a Blast, in a couple of weeks.
Dave.
Posted by MICHAEL_GAYTON (MICHAEL_GAYTON), 12 March 2004
Dear Nick
yes i do use your eco spotter you sent me a box and i ran out of no2 spotter  when you going to put it in a  5 ltr  bottle.my wheely bins full of empty little spray bottles i could reuse or sell on
mick  Undecided

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.