Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

What rubbers do you use?

Posted by Londoner (Londoner), 15 February 2004
Alright, I know I am opening the door to all sorts of jokes and double meanings but this is a serious question.
My local supplier only ever stocked one make, Ettore, but through this forum I have found a number of suppliers who have a much bigger range.
I was wondering what you guys thought was the best or are they all much the same just different names.

Posted by Old_Master (Old_Master), 15 February 2004
There is a difference and you need to try different ones to find out what suit you.
There are hard, soft, silican, pure rubber.
Personally we use sorbo which are pure silican costs more but last longer. At the end of the day its down to individual choice - much like whats your favorite brand of Beer.
Posted by Simon_King (Simon_King), 15 February 2004
I like to use Pulex Soft. They suit me fine and are pretty cheap. I've had no problems with them. I used Unger soft for a bit as well. With Ettore and Unger you will always pay a bit more for the name. Didn't Know that about Sorbo rubbers - might give them a try.
Posted by paul (paul), 15 February 2004
we were using a local brand but have now gone back to unger soft till the summer Grin
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 15 February 2004
WinkPulex takes some beating! Cheesy Roll Eyes
Posted by Bones (Mikey aka Bones), 15 February 2004
I've been using unger hard/soft since i started. I tried Pulex after reading so many used it on here and it ended up a nightmare of a day for me Cry So I'm back to my Ungers Grin

Mikey
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 15 February 2004
pulex soft after trying others i find these so much better. new one daily.
Posted by crystal (crystal), 15 February 2004
Do any of you cut your used rubbers down to fit your smaller squeegies or would i be accused of being a tightwad, just it does seem a waste Embarassed Embarassed
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 16 February 2004
the cheapest way to buy them is in 36" lengths and cut them down to fit squeegees you will find that most have us have cut down a channel to fit something or other, make sur you  use a sharp blade to cut them with and get the cut nice and square
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 16 February 2004
Do any of you cut your used rubbers down to fit your smaller squeegies

Too Right! We buy them in 36" or 42" and cut them down. When they wear at the edges, they get kept to be cut down to the next size. When they wear in the middle, they get chucked out.

or would i be accused of being a tightwad,

Not at all, Laddie. Matt was made an Honorary Scotsman at the start of the month, and you can now be considered the same.

Just keep practising . . . "Och aye, the noo" . . . "Jings, crivvens an' help mah Boab" . . .  "If ah gie her ony mair Captain, she'll blow!"   Wink
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 16 February 2004
Old Master,

I like the look of the Sorbo squeegee, the 3x 4. But with the  4 groove channel do you have to use Sorbo rubber?

Thanks,

Gerry.
Posted by Old_Master (Old_Master), 16 February 2004
Yes you need to use the sorbo rubbers the profile is designed specially for their channels.
Ill bring some to the Fed show and you can have a go.
Glyn
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 16 February 2004
Thanks Glyn, but I won`t be at the fed show (although I`m tempted now- going to Cheltenham racing next month, so you know how it is).

When I get the Sorbo blade I know to get the rubber as well now. I usually get Pulex, which is much cheaper but I don`t mind paying extra if the Sorbos as good as it looks and lasts longer.

Thanks again,

Gerry.

Posted by Old_Master (Old_Master), 17 February 2004
I have honestly had conversation with someone who told me he hadnt changed the rubber blade on his sorbo for over six months!!
Posted by fez (fez), 17 February 2004
on 02/15/04 at 21:53:26, Mikey aka Bones wrote:
I've been using unger hard/soft since i started. I tried Pulex after reading so many used it on here and it ended up a nightmare of a day for me Cry So I'm back to my Ungers Grin

Mikey

I had the same problems with Pulex, it turns out that they don't fit Unger S channel so well. I went back to Unger rubbers myself. Undecided

Posted by pw (paul w), 17 February 2004
i use pulex soft and hard+ettore try taking out one channel clip if you get probs that works for me Roll Eyes Grin
Posted by Silly_Philly (Silly Philly), 19 February 2004
Quote:
I had the same problems with Pulex, it turns out that they don't fit Unger S channel so well. I went back to Unger rubbers myself

I had this problem too, the rubber is narrower than an Unger, so pops out of the channel at the ends- most annoying!

I have always used unger, just because its what I know.

Silly
Posted by fez (fez), 19 February 2004
on 02/19/04 at 17:19:37, Silly Philly wrote:
I had this problem too, the rubber is narrower than an Unger, so pops out of the channel at the ends- most annoying!

I have always used unger, just because its what I know.

Silly

Where do you buy yours (Unger Rubbers, that is), Silly? Seen any good deals?

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.