Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

Stainless steel floors!

Posted by Yvonne (Yvonne), 11 December 2003
Please could someone help me!!! I've moved in to a house with a stainless steel kitchen floor, it looks like the steal on the back of a lorry tail lift, it looked wonderfull when i first moved in now i'm not sure how to clean it or with what prouduct!!  Huhplease help! Thanks Yvonne.
Posted by deep_clean (deep clean), 11 December 2003
Hello Yvonne,
The Stainless steel used in flooring (commercial and domestic) is usually 316-S92 or 304 Gauge plate. We clean an Architect office and the kitchen area has the same type of Stainless flooring. We usually mop it with a Vileda Super mop and a solution of MP10 (general purpose cleaner) 60ml per 5 litres of warm water and. When the floor is dry we spray a light coat of Henkel Greenline Stainless Steel Cleaner and buff it up with paper towels. It comes up a treat. If you are unable to get hold of the above commercial products, Use neutral washing up liquid instead of the MP10 and try Mr Muscle Glass cleaner, just be careful as Mr Muscle Glass cleaner attack’s wooden surfaces.

Hope This Helps

Russ

www.deep-clean.co.uk

Posted by Fox (Fox), 11 December 2003
Hi

Must say very brave to advise anyone to use a washing up liquid solution on ANY floor surface, as a build up of this type of product will eventually cause a film that is very hard to remove and can get v slippy.  

I must admit I have never come across a floor like this in a domestic situation.  Steel stairs are pretty common in commercial warehouse, usual method brush off and like already said mop with multipurpose cleaner.  Right info to buff it dry, but how feasable would this be? (eg how long would this take and could you stop the family walking on it?)  

Has your floor got the //// non slip nodules on?  Invest in a deck scrubber, prob blue would do. (need to get inbetween those little bu**ers).

Good luck

Posted by DP (DP), 12 December 2003
I think the pattern is called "checker plate".

Pretty much bomb proof, I would have thought.
Posted by Fox (Fox), 12 December 2003
Thanks DP usually pretty much 'bomb proof' myself obviously having a bad day!

Ok Yvonne - is your floor checker plate?

(still don't agree with washing up liquid)  Smiley

Posted by deep_clean (deep clean), 12 December 2003
on 12/11/03 at 22:56:48, Fox wrote:
Hi

Must say very brave to advise anyone to use a washing up liquid solution on ANY floor surface, as a build up of this type of product will eventually cause a film that is very hard to remove and can get v slippy.  

Hello Fox  Grin

Detergents are necessary for cutting grease, and they are not the same thing as Soap that is made from fats and lye. Detergents are synthetic materials discovered and synthesized early in this century. Unlike soap, detergents are designed specifically so that they don’t react with hard water minerals and cause soap scum.
The use of Washing up detergents on the floor is counteracted, by using the Stainless Steel cleaner (Low toxicity solvent)
Indecently, Neutral detergent is use on every surface in every hospital in the country and has been for the past 40 years, and is regarded by the NHS as the only cleaning product needed!!! (Cheapskates)

Russ

www.deep-clean.co.uk
Posted by Yvonne (Yvonne), 12 December 2003
Yes it is /// N its a right pain! used em green pads but thought it might scratch the steel? not use to dealing with steel on floors n didnt like the idea of having to replace it if i move out cos it looks like it cost a fortune!! Tongue
Hi Russ

I am fully aware that detergents are necessary for cutting grease, I am also fully aware that washing up liquid can be used for the cleaning of floor areas.  Alot of people use it because it is cheap.

However I certainly would NOT advise anyone to use it!  I have seen so many problems (mainly in restaraunts funnily enough).  Problem is when it doesn't get diluted to the proper ratio and when it is used long term.  

Also using it creates twice the work as you should mop afterwards with clean hot water to remove the soap deposit (which people don't do!).  The mop doesn't get cleaned thoroughly leaving the soap residue in it and when used again and again it leaves a film, leaving the floor very dull and slippery.

Yvonne
I suggest you use a product C12 called Selosol.  You can get this from any supplier that carries the seldon range.

Posted by deep_clean (deep clean), 12 December 2003
on 12/12/03 at 11:13:45, Fox wrote:
Also using it creates twice the work as you should mop afterwards with clean hot water to remove the soap deposit (which people don't do!).  The mop doesn't get cleaned thoroughly leaving the soap residue in it and when used again and again it leaves a film, leaving the floor very dull and slippery.

Neutral washing up liquid does not contain "SOAP"

Neutral Liquid Detergent.

COMPOSTION AND INGREDIENTS

An aqueous blend of SOAPS, detergents and viscosity modifiers containing preservative dye and perfume.
Posted by woodman (woodman), 12 December 2003
Hi Yvonne

I have cleaned many of these floors and the best way I have found is to apply a high alkaline cleaner by spray,roto brush in ( a brush is used because of the grooves and edges)  and extract off using clean mild water only
Any thing left behind can be lifted off using a steam gun, simple and quick.

If you don't have this type of equipment then I'm afraid it means mopping until until all the residue is removed Sad
Posted by deep_clean (deep clean), 13 December 2003
on 12/12/03 at 13:27:17, Fox wrote:
Neutral Liquid Detergent.

COMPOSTION AND INGREDIENTS

An aqueous blend of SOAPS, detergents and viscosity modifiers containing preservative dye and perfume.

Fox I’m disappointed that "you" added the word “SOAP” in the above sentence
I’m even more disappointed that your use of the above sentence was actually taken from the Selden website and it actually referred to PINE TOILET FRESHENER on SELDEN RESEARCH LIMITED page

www.selden.co.uk/documents/H09.pdf

Posted by Fox (Fox), 14 December 2003
Russ

Try C09 Seldet I think you will find I am right!  It is primarily sold as a washing up liquid!

Yes I do use seldon as I am a seller of their products (very good they are too!)

Sorry you felt disappointed, but do your research a bit better next time mate.

Fox Kiss
Posted by deep_clean (deep clean), 14 December 2003
on 12/14/03 at 00:18:55, Fox wrote:
Russ

Try C09 Seldet I think you will find I am right!  It is primarily sold as a washing up liquid!

Yes I do use seldon as I am a seller of their products (very good they are too!)

Sorry you felt disappointed, but do your research a bit better next time mate.

Fox Kiss

C09 Seldet  Technical Specification Composition: An aqueous blend of anionic, nonionic and amphoteric surfactants with viscosity modifiers, preservative, dye and perfume.

Appearance: Clear liquid
Colour: Yellow
Viscosity: 350 centistokes approx.
pH: 7.0
Odour: Lemon
Activity: 20% minimum
Shelf life: Two years minimum in unopened containers at ambient temperature.
Cloud point: Below 20C  

WHAT NO SOAP!!!!!!  Grin

Russ

http://www.selden.co.uk/products/product_detail.asp?ProductID=32
Posted by Fox (Fox), 14 December 2003
http://www.selden.co.uk/documents/C09.pdf

try this one
Posted by Musicman (Musicman), 14 December 2003
GUYS, GUYS, GUYS, lets step back from the brink here.

For a start chequer plate is aluminium not stainless steel, so that may impact upon the advice you give.

The link Fox gives clearly states that this neutral detergent DOES contain soap - no argument, it's there in black and white.

Russ to state that someone has doctored such things is very dangerous and not especially clever. There may even be legal implications if it was to be followed up.

Perhaps we can move onto another topic now? Hopefully Yvonne has received all the advice she needs.

Musicman
Posted by Yvonne (Yvonne), 14 December 2003
Yes i have thankyou to u all  Smiley sorry to have caused all these rows! n for not replying sooner i have very littel time to get on the computer n also for calling it steel n not aluminium X thanks again Yvonne XX
Posted by deep_clean (deep clean), 14 December 2003
on 12/14/03 at 09:49:44, Musicman wrote:
Russ to state that someone has doctored such things is very dangerous and not especially clever. There may even be legal implications if it was to be followed up.

Musicman

It’s only a bit of fun.  Grin  And as for "legal implications" please re-read the above post and take them as they were written, tongue in cheek. We are talking about SOAP here!!! What actually constitutes soap? Does any one on here know? Musicman I think you’re hanging on to tight, take deep breaths it will all be OK when you calm down.

Russ    Cheesy  

Posted by petra (petra), 14 December 2003
Yep I know what Soap Constitutes...Eastenders, Corrie, Hollyoaks
Grin Grin Grin
Petra
Ps Just could not resist that one
Posted by DP (DP), 16 December 2003
Musicman

Umm checkerplate is a generic name for the type and doesn’t necessary refer to any material in particular, in fact the aluminium version was an addition long after the original mild STEEL type which is where its name originated.

Products include mild steel, aluminium, stainless steel and yes plastic and even a chemical resin board type.

and I didn’t add a single word, aren’t I good   Wink

Soap, the only type I seem to be learning about is SOFT SOAP and its many many uses so it seems.

I agree (now Ive added my post  Smiley ) we should move on, unless somebody else disagree,s.

Thinking about it, this could be the longest thread ever!!! (assuming we all agree that is)  Grin  

Ok now all thats clear  Huh  isnt it really nice when you can help with things  Cool  

Petra:
Your not really a soapy are you ? You seemed so "normal"  Wink   oopps  Lips Sealed

Posted by petra (petra), 16 December 2003
With the type of trade we are all in who get's time for soap's (the boss)
Grin Grin
And who in the cleaning industry is normal and what is normal
Petra
Posted by nick.solution (nick.solution), 19 December 2003
Yvonne

check the website  www solution-uk.com  then stainless steel then click on the product you will find full info on a specific product for cleaning and protecting stainless steel if its what your looking for you can conatct Solution Uk on 0870 112 3691

Regards Nick Wink
Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 15 January 2004
I can confirm the stainless steel cleaner is excellent after using various products I found the Solution stainless steel cleaner by far the best check it out. www solution-uk.com  
Posted by Darren_Sharpe (Darren_Sharpe), 6 February 2004
Hello Yvonne

I have read you post regarding your metal floor and although all the replys offer advice none of them has used our FleetKleen product.  Its organic non toxic and I would put it up against any chemical as it is far superior.  If you would like to know more please contact me.

Darren Sharpe

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.