Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Ladders

Posted by Pete_Riley (Pete_Riley), 1 March 2004
Hi all again,how do you all secure your ladders onto the roof rack (bars).Thanks

Posted by denzle (Denzle), 1 March 2004
Use a Racktite Ladder clamp, totally safe and you can padlock them as well to stop them going walkies.
Cost about £26 the pair and well worth it.
You can get them from most WC supplies or your local Wickes store.
Denzle
Posted by Rick (Rick), 1 March 2004
swivel bars (or whatever anyone else may call them).
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 1 March 2004
ladder clamps are the only option. bungys are only a quid but when you have the first one break on you either whipping round and smacking you in the face or losing your ladder as you are driving down the road, you will be glad you spent the money. i think its illeagal to use bungys, not sure
Posted by Silly_Philly (Philip Hanson), 1 March 2004
on 03/01/04 at 18:00:45, gibbouk wrote:
or losing your ladder as you are driving down the road

Ah, happy memories.  How my ribbs ache when I remember the time that happened to me at 60mph on a very busy single carraigeway.  Especially when I looked at the foot long scratches on the car.

Philip

PS Avoid the same "laughter", get some clamps.
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 1 March 2004
We have cleats on the roof rack uprights and use climbing rope on the cross bars to make a figure-of-eight on the cleat. That way, the rope's going against itself three ways and shouldn't come loose.

Climbing rope's also designed to still be tie- and untie-able in the rain.
Posted by Pete_Riley (Pete_Riley), 1 March 2004
Thanks all
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 1 March 2004
Quote:
Ah, happy memories.  How my ribbs ache when I remember the time that happened to me at 60mph on a very busy single carraigeway.  Especially when I looked ad the foot long scratches on the car.

yeah know the feeling of laughing as my ladder shot sideways going over a flyover, stopped only by the railings from dropping 30 foot into a busy shopping street below. i remeber thinking "me officer i am not a window cleaner i dont even own a ladder"

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.