This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Michael D

PRICE CUTTING
« on: August 05, 2005, 07:47:33 pm »
Hi All
        What would be a good way to deal with sommeone price cutting. So far i`ve lost 3 jobs, could be more on Monday when i do my monthly clean in an area thats due.
         This chap has upset a couple of other guys, that i know. He has the works signed van and wfp system. For me price cutting is not the way to go. but i don`t like to lose jobs. Any advice on how to tackle this problem, would be helpfull.  Thanks

The Bear

Re: PRICE CUTTING
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 08:14:09 pm »
Speak to Gaza, he's going to write a book on the subject.

My advice is to stick to your prices.

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 08:33:55 pm »
Does he know he's undercutting ??
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 08:34:31 pm »
Hi Michael

Is he working for a company or himself and what area is he in?

If he is undercutting you too much, he wont be able to stay in business for long.

Let us know

Rob_Mac

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 09:30:09 pm »
I had this with a guy that had bought some work from another window cleaner near my area.

He undercut me by 1.50 on two cleans so I picked up £60.00 of his work that he had just bought.

What goes around comes around

Grin and bear it and don't have em back when he aint around no more

Rob

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 09:32:50 pm »
it only happend to me once on a 10 pound house they under cut me buy 5 pound so i went back and done it free of charge and i told hime i would do it every time i found hed done it not happened since

gaza

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2005, 02:26:47 am »
brill idea : now why didnt  I think of that one?
except lost 800 squids worth of work to a chepo skate w/c
lost two commercial to him does a shop window inside and out for a bacon butty?

HE WILL NOT BE GETTING IT FOR LONG. 3/50p for 8 windows + 2 doors working in a gang of two him employing young lad,

WORK THIS OUT :  public liability + employees liability + 2x nat insurance +2x tax +running car petrol etc +rainy days+holiday +sick pay,
working with ladders only ,no safety devices fitted ,shouldnt post this but hope the youngone gets killed  cus Ive then got my round back cus smart as is doing time for corp manslaughter. or if hs dont get him before social does . WHO WOULD YOU PHONE FIRST?

GAZA

IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

steve k

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2005, 08:08:12 am »
someones son that mate

marc al

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2005, 11:54:31 am »
 I would definitely have a word and explain that if he is undercutting intentionally you won't be quite so diplomatic with your words and actions in the future. Probably it would be best to have a word while he is up a ladder and you have hold of the botom!!

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2005, 01:44:57 pm »
Free market economy - but if you know your customers and they like the service most of them will stay with you -
when that has happened to me my annoyance is with the householder who should reciprocate the loyalty

gaza

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2005, 02:29:55 pm »
Steve I KNOW HES SOMEONES SON:I would like to have a word with him but dont know who he is.
I would explain the errors of his ways{safety } I do feel sorry for him he knows no better but ignorance is not a defence.

Ispoke to a ex customer who told me hes using a ladder only,and his so called boss has phoned hse and the way hes working is complying?

The customer then decribed his ladder  with swivel bits on the end of each leg of his ladder, and he told her its been cleared by the hs because that stops the ladder from sliding? How can the swivel feet stop a ladder from sliding I will never  know ???

He clearly hasnt a clue so I say to the chepo w/c have a fall [couldnt have happened to a nicer bloke} ;D

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

brett walker

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2005, 04:28:20 pm »
Hi

Depending on what area you live in prices are roughly the same there might be a difference of 50p or 1.00 per house

If a window cleaner is under cutting by more than 1.50 he must be cutting corners in some way , i would stick to your prices you'll find customers will stay with you just as long as you give a good service .
You'll find its the tight ones that go for the cheap w/c they not worth bothering with just replace them.

Regards

Brett

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2005, 08:55:38 pm »
I’ve always found that the cheap window cleaners that appear in the spring and summer when the weather tends to be settled and they can do a full days work most days, find it difficult to make ends meet in the short cold wet days of the autumn and winter. They then lose the motivation to do these cheaper houses and drop them or pack the whole thing in, Then when your customers want to come back to you they are a little shocked when they find that you now charge an extra .50p or £1 because they have lost the loyalty discount that they had with you before they tried to save penny’s,

Alan
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

jsm

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2005, 10:30:02 pm »
price cuting - I'm getting ' HOW MUCH  :o' my old window cleaner charged X amount , during  my travels door knocking in my new town .

I explain what I do and that I run a legit window cleaning firm - most agree that you have to pay a fair price for a decent window cleaner  these days .
works coming in ok ,I leave the low payers for the dole cheats  ;)
John Malone
JSM. Window & General Cleaning
(  North Wales  )
Giving homes a shine sicne 1989

one of the early gang of wfp er's ---- remember , when you cant see out - give JSM a shout