This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

neil100

Re: any one prolonged life on SLX ? and ????
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 10:35:55 pm »
Had my slx for 7 months.I look after it wipeing down the pole sections every 3 days.My 18' slx gets used approx 20 hrs a week. I apply ceramic oil every week to each section. So the pole looks brand new every time I oil it and it reduces wear and carbon dust.

Neil

windowswashed

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2010, 10:38:09 pm »
I'm surprised the SL-X hasn't been revamped with a glass fibre coating just like the Facelift carbon pole.

I cut a carbon facelift pole down to a more convenient working height when fully closed and the amount of glass wall thickness on it is over 50% in proportion to the carbon.

Amazingly the carbon Facelift pole is still a relatively light pole whilst remaining very rigid to use but has the advantage over a gardiners SL-X pole with wear issues simply because of the glass coating.

trevor perry

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 03:06:43 pm »
my slx mark 1 version is brilliant and hardly any wear my other 2 slx s with the new clamps are wearing like mad, i think alex must of used a different carbon fibre in the later models and it isnt as hard wearing.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

Window Washers

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 08:44:16 am »
my slx mark 1 version is brilliant and hardly any wear my other 2 slx s with the new clamps are wearing like mad, i think alex must of used a different carbon fibre in the later models and it isnt as hard wearing.

Wake up LOL, Pole Mark 1 by was a better quality pole, Alex kept the price the same but had the next poles made cheaper  ::), by that time sl-x has a good reputation. Hooked lined & sunk  ;D
I never had a mk1 so cant comparethemarket.com so not simples  :(
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2010, 09:01:56 am »

Same here my Mk 1 is wearing fine, I broke a section and replaced it with a Mk2 section. I m ust say that the new section is now worn far more than the existing sections.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2010, 03:58:16 pm »
I have a mark 2 SLX with the latest clamps sent to replace the bicycle type ones -it is a year old and still ok. I use it for everything. (Well - the top 4 sections)

The number 2 section is wearing the most but is still serviceable.

THIS IS MY CARE REGIME:-

I have made a hose tidy to keep the pole hose off the floor and so it hangs on a hook on my belt - this actually speeds me up as I am not having twisted or looped hose to trip over.

Between jobs or when the pole hose gets muddy or gritty I reel in the pole hose through a towel to remove the muck. This takes no extra time and I reel it on to my reel before putting the pole away.

WEEKLY:-

Once a week I take the pole apart and spray water down the insides from a jet nozzle on my garden hose. I wipe the outsides down at the same time.

I then spray it with wd40 or similar and reassemble. I clean out the end cap of any carbon dust or grass and grit.

MONTHLY

I do the above but repaint the extension markers with an enamel paint before spraying with wd40

When my new SLX22 arrives I will reassemble and keep my SLX35 for higher jobs only.
It's a game of three halves!

Dave Willis

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 09:44:31 am »
I've had all the versions so far. They seem to wear much the same. Some of the things I do:

Don't worry about the tape coming off - the sections slide better without it anyway.
I drill a hole in the wall where the tape used to be. When I extend the pole I look for the small hole then push the section back into the clamp by a centimetre.

If the pole keeps spinning and you are adjusting the same clamp throughout the day then it won't be wear that's causing it, it will be the bolt loosening off in the barrel every time you flick the lever open. Either fit a new barrel or a tiny spot of loktite.

If the clamp is too loose at max extension but too tight at lesser extensions then yes the pole is wearing where it is always clamped at the same point - vary your clamping positions. If the pole is that worn you can always saw off a couple off inches from the bottom.

Those of you who are tightening the screws with plyers  ??? then you've probably cross threaded the barrel nut - buy some spares.

If the clamp lever feels really tight and the pole still spins then check the clamp body has not come unstuck from the shaft  - superglue will fix it (don't allow any to drip inside the tube!)

I normally sell my poles on after a year and they still have loads left in them. The surface will  wear, you will need gloves, you'll need to change the end cap a couple of times a year and you will  need to pull the sections right out now and again to flush through - dead easy!
Use the push fit taps and rectus 21 fittings so you can whip sections off or add further sections.

I can't believe how some of you can't cope with very very basic diy  ::)

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 10:43:06 am »
I've had all the versions so far. They seem to wear much the same. Some of the things I do:

Don't worry about the tape coming off - the sections slide better without it anyway.
I drill a hole in the wall where the tape used to be. When I extend the pole I look for the small hole then push the section back into the clamp by a centimetre.

If the pole keeps spinning and you are adjusting the same clamp throughout the day then it won't be wear that's causing it, it will be the bolt loosening off in the barrel every time you flick the lever open. Either fit a new barrel or a tiny spot of loktite.

If the clamp is too loose at max extension but too tight at lesser extensions then yes the pole is wearing where it is always clamped at the same point - vary your clamping positions. If the pole is that worn you can always saw off a couple off inches from the bottom.

Those of you who are tightening the screws with plyers  ??? then you've probably cross threaded the barrel nut - buy some spares.

If the clamp lever feels really tight and the pole still spins then check the clamp body has not come unstuck from the shaft  - superglue will fix it (don't allow any to drip inside the tube!)

I normally sell my poles on after a year and they still have loads left in them. The surface will  wear, you will need gloves, you'll need to change the end cap a couple of times a year and you will  need to pull the sections right out now and again to flush through - dead easy!
Use the push fit taps and rectus 21 fittings so you can whip sections off or add further sections.

I can't believe how some of you can't cope with very very basic diy  ::)

Well said & welcome back ;)

Wizard

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 03:21:33 pm »
I don’t claim to be an expert on Carbon fibre but I have down some glassing a boat I build a few years back. The thing that worries me is the black hand all of you are getting. This is of some concern to me as this should only happen if the glass outer surface or gel coat is striped to expose the carbon fibre I thing the outer walls are sanded and then a out layer or surface is added which will ware out quickly if its to thin. This make sense if one is trying to reduce weight on the pole. I do feel this is matter for the manufactories to correct as I think this pole was sold before road testing was properly  down. Just my thoughts on the matter.This is not good for this pole`s future.

Dave Willis

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2010, 07:56:31 pm »
A bit strong  :o
What quality are we talking about? From what I've seen there has been nothing to compare Gardiners products against until maybe this week.
Who knows how the new models are going to last? No-one yet.

♠Winp®oClean♠

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2010, 08:02:36 pm »
I don’t claim to be an expert on Carbon fibre but I have down some glassing a boat I build a few years back. The thing that worries me is the black hand all of you are getting. This is of some concern to me as this should only happen if the glass outer surface or gel coat is striped to expose the carbon fibre I thing the outer walls are sanded and then a out layer or surface is added which will ware out quickly if its to thin. This make sense if one is trying to reduce weight on the pole. I do feel this is matter for the manufactories to correct as I think this pole was sold before road testing was properly  down. Just my thoughts on the matter.This is not good for this pole`s future.

I agree, that’s why the other pole manufacturers haven’t lowered there prices to Gardiner’s level.

They followed his lead on closed pole length as well as clamps now with Ionic’s new clamp, but not price because they know the quality isn’t there with the Gardiner poles. So they keep the advantage with quality and unfortunately keep the prices high.

Contrary to what many say on here, quality is non existence with the Gardiner pole.

Sorry but I can't take you seriousley, I've had many, many different poles from just about all the manufacturers & can say that quality does very much exist with gardiner poles!

If you have a gripe with gardiners that's your business but I'm pretty confident you only have minor knowlage & experience of the wfp market. ;)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2010, 08:13:17 pm »
Ewan

That is just a matter of opinion.

The Mk1 pole with new clamps is one of the best ever poles made, mine is still going strong and I was one of the very first to purchase that pole.

I cant say that for any of the other 30 odd poles i have bought over the years

Dave Willis

« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2010, 08:24:02 pm »
Ewan what then is a quality pole?

I've had all the slx's and now the Smax - they all wear much the same. In my opinion the Mk1 was only better because the tolerances were wider. The clamp would open wider when released. I wore the carbon out under the clamps. Please point me to a better pole 'cos I couldn't find one every time I went shopping.

Window Washers

« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2010, 08:43:36 pm »
Ewan what then is a quality pole?

I've had all the slx's and now the Smax - they all wear much the same. In my opinion the Mk1 was only better because the tolerances were wider. The clamp would open wider when released. I wore the carbon out under the clamps. Please point me to a better pole 'cos I couldn't find one every time I went shopping.
I think this is the problem with the newer slz, the pole section catch to easy and you have to forever do up the clapmps, maybe this will be looked at again, alex seems to make things better all the time, his new wfp system seems to be a very good price and is trash tested. Is a shame hes not on the foum to answer the questions or give advice
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

Ambient Services

« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2010, 09:00:58 pm »
Ewan

That is just a matter of opinion.

The Mk1 pole with new clamps is one of the best ever poles made, mine is still going strong and I was one of the very first to purchase that pole.

I cant say that for any of the other 30 odd poles i have bought over the years

I agree with you Dave from reading post about the mark 1 pole, but that is a different pole.

Any poles after this seem to have issues.

Different pole from the Mark 1, thats why,  new SLX made by a different company.

Another WFP company has been offered the original Mark 1 version, should be interesting.

Dave Willis

« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2010, 09:04:01 pm »
I haven't noticed much difference in wear characteristics. It may have had a different weave to the fibre. It was based on the bicycle seat clamp and so had a slot cut into the section which would crack when the clamp was closed. You could see the pole distort around the slot. The second version I had wore the quickest because it was carbon rubbing against carbon again. The latest version still wears but the clamp bodies are far better.
I considered Carbon Facelifts but two posters on here owned both and still thought that the SLX was better and cheaper.
I don't think a glassfibre coating would make any difference - I went through a glass extender in five weeks!

John Walker

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2010, 06:45:52 pm »
Had my slx for 7 months.I look after it wipeing down the pole sections every 3 days.My 18' slx gets used approx 20 hrs a week. I apply ceramic oil every week to each section. So the pole looks brand new every time I oil it and it reduces wear and carbon dust.

Neil

Just going back to your thread Neil.  Have you thought of oiling the inside of the tubes also?  Could be put on a cloth tied to string and pulled through perhaps?

John
BaxWalker Window Cleaning