This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

cleewindows

Re: new cleaners
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2010, 07:34:06 pm »
ian take no notice of these people they make out they are experts because they have cleaned windows for 10 and 15 years.
i have seen some of the so called experienced window cleaners around my way,ive seen the results of there cleans and some are terrible to be honest,im getting lots of new customers who wasnt happy with there old windys!

geefree

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2010, 07:39:10 pm »
Its not about being an expert, its about pricing ok, ....maybe when all the new starters have undercut and priced all the houses at £3....

we should then go in the same area and price them all at £1.50... how does that sound.?

Now can you see the implications?  ::)

colley614

« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2010, 08:04:30 pm »
I just thought it was me that had noticed the change. When I started in 2006 I picked about £200 a month in work up in my first few weeks, then over my first year I picked up about £1000 a month in work. Then I lost a lot of my work because I was subbing work from a local firm. I started building a round up again last year and the difference is massive. I can't believe how many cars are flying round with ladders on with scrims tied round them and how many lads there are out with hoody's on and holsters. Canvassing wise I spent hours the other week knocking and 1 job. Today I went out for about 4 hours and must of seen about 6 window cleaners and I only went up the road to do a few houses then came home. I can't believe how many window cleaners have popped up in my area.

Ian Mason

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2010, 08:27:34 pm »
Its not about being an expert, its about pricing ok, ....maybe when all the new starters have undercut and priced all the houses at £3....

we should then go in the same area and price them all at £1.50... how does that sound.?

Oh okay, I get your point, & I will try & have a word with the rest of them when I see them.  ::)

In the meantime, how do you suggest we get ALL established window cleaners that charge high prices for minutes of work, to keep their prices secret from their customers, & who may have a relation/friend out of work, thay has earned a fraction of this for a 40hr week? ???

dazmond

« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2010, 10:37:04 pm »
i have noticed a few new windys starting up near me lately.even had a custy phone me up the other day saying a guy has been leafleting my round and do you want his number so you can have a word with him!i declined!

i just concentrate on my own business,do a good job and charge a fair price.ive been window cleaning 16 years and have a very established round.if a guy wants to charge £3 to clean a whole house thats up to him!you can charge what you want!he.ll soon lose interest at them prices and find it hard to get a compact round together and make half decent money.

why would a custy take a stranger on they dont know for a few quid cheaper?most custys know most window cleaners are a bit flakey and not reliable and decent custys dont want to lose a good reliable and trustworthy one like me!! ;D ;D

only time to worry is if you do a crap job and overcharge and youve only been goin 6 months or so!
price higher/work harder!

Ste M

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2010, 12:17:55 pm »
ive got nothing to worry about if this fella is anything to go by, two minutes earlier he was cleaning the window to his right with a MOP haha, i could believe it so spun round and got this shot of him, there is nothing securing the ladders and the floor was also wet from rain

[/img]

rg1

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2010, 12:34:19 pm »
I would consider myself a 'Newbie' as I have only been wfp since October. To date, I have 65 customers and have also done several gutter cleans. I got all the info I needed from the more experienced guys on here and continue to read posts that might teach me something.

My pricing for wc is:

Standard windows           £1.00
Bay Windows                   £2.00
Patio & French Doors       £1.50
Front & Rear Doors              .50

Gutter cleaning priced £3.50 - £4.00 per metre. depending on how good or bad they are and also access is taken into consideration.

These are prices that I got from info on CIU so if they are a little low or you wish to make any comment about them, then please feel free to do so.

I have used my own money to invest in equipment and I am in this business now for the long haul and hopefully I can one day make a decent income from it.

Rob
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

supernova77

« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2010, 12:38:26 pm »
Oh okay, I get your point, & I will try & have a word with the rest of them when I see them.  Roll Eyes

In the meantime, how do you suggest we get ALL established window cleaners that charge high prices for minutes of work, to keep their prices secret from their customers, & who may have a relation/friend out of work, thay has earned a fraction of this for a 40hr week? Huh

Hi Ian,

How far along in the setup process are you? Are you going WFP or trad? How much are you looking to earn per week? Whereabouts in the country are you?

It's not easy setting up a viable window cleaning business, it does take time, and not many earn the kind of money that is boasted about on this forum! - I hope it works out for you!

Andy

ivesonswc

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2010, 01:13:46 pm »
i agree with the "lower the prices".... its already started... lady said leaflet through door half my price. :o

Listen all you newbies on here...... go out and get your work, but do your research and keep your prices up..... not only will you be a busy fool with a crap round,

You will destroy the industry and we will all be on £3 per house.... JUST LIKE YOU !!

£3.00 per house when i get stared in march i was only going to charge 50p a house that way i will be very busy ;D

rg1

« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2010, 02:34:28 pm »
i agree with the "lower the prices".... its already started... lady said leaflet through door half my price. :o

Listen all you newbies on here...... go out and get your work, but do your research and keep your prices up..... not only will you be a busy fool with a crap round,

You will destroy the industry and we will all be on £3 per house.... JUST LIKE YOU !!

£3.00 per house when i get stared in march i was only going to charge 50p a house that way i will be very busy ;D
[/color]

You could have been less greedy and considered £3.00 a street :)
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

supernova77

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 03:36:27 pm »
Hi Andy,

I am hoping to start within the next 2 weeks, & will be going trad to begin with.

I have set my prices similar to rg1`s, & will be going all out to reach the minimum wage rate of £5.80 x 40 hrs =£232.00 per week as soon as I can really. I thought that would be an ideal target to aim for.

I am in Sussex, & I have just purchased a car for both business & personal use. I just don`t want to risk being stuck in any one area, a bit like putting all your eggs in basket.

Many thanks.

Ian.

Ian,

No disrespect but you won't last long if you're aiming at only earning £5.80 per hour... What about insurance and fuel costs? You need to think of it as a business, not just a job.

Aim For The Stars And Maybe You'll Reach The Sky... Aim for the gutter and you'll hit it!

Andy

chopsie

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2010, 04:03:56 pm »
I started in November,at first i was trying to charge £1 per window £1.50 bay windows £2 french doors etc,as suggested by many on here.Customers nearly fell through the floor when i gave them the quote(managed to get a couple of good ones though).I now charge around 75p per window,£1-£1.50 on bays and french doors,and 50p per normal door.I add it all up,and then come to a price in my head i am happy with,and what i think customer will be ok with.I got 102 customers so far.
chopsie

supernova77

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2010, 04:18:15 pm »
I started in November,at first i was trying to charge £1 per window £1.50 bay windows £2 french doors etc,as suggested by many on here.Customers nearly fell through the floor when i gave them the quote(managed to get a couple of good ones though).I now charge around 75p per window,£1-£1.50 on bays and french doors,and 50p per normal door.I add it all up,and then come to a price in my head i am happy with,and what i think customer will be ok with.I got 102 customers so far.

I don't charge per window etc... I look at the house, think about how long it might take me to clean and quote based on that.

I appreciate it's difficult to quote like that if you're just starting out, but try moving onto that system as soon as you can.

Andy

gr cleaning solutions

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2010, 05:16:38 pm »
when i quote i also look at how long it will take to clean at the moment im getting around £14 to 15 an hour doing it traditional , i see a lot off gangs of four and five people window cleaning when im out i don't know how they make there money i just work on my own then at least it all my wages once Ive payed my costs etc

paul rulton

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2010, 05:22:49 pm »
u must b doin something rite gr workin fron a land rover freelander ::) v nice m8 ;D

Ian101

« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 05:25:36 pm »
e bay is full of them
here is full of them
the roads are full of them

why dont they all go and do something else its just being flooded with wana be cleaners who will low the prices and when there proper jobs get going again will all go back and leave this industry in a mess

Been thinking about whether I should post this as not wishing to offend any "Non Newbies" ...As a very much a newbie I find your post to be offensive or at the very least a knee jerk reaction not very well thought out

Its like me coming on here and saying all old hands are lazy and ignorant to moving with the times and prone to using terms along the lines of "this my patch so feck off or I will do your legs"

Not all new window cleaners will be lowering prices and I am leaving a "proper job" to become a window cleaner (part of a bigger plan).... not all newbies are looking to window cleaning as a temp measure and if the old hands cant compete then perhaps thet should go and do something different !!

Get a grip ... business is full of competition and window cleaning is no different.

I will charge what I see fit and if it undercuts others then its just tango sierra.

Like I say not wishing to offend all the experianced guys but not all newbies are idiots who dont know how to run a business.

geefree

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 06:09:04 pm »
Thata what this topic is about..... so the newbies read it i presume. ;)

Otherwise failing that, it would be a mammoth task hunting them down on the streets. ::)

Oh okay, I get your point, & I will try & have a word with the rest of them when I see them.  ::)

In the meantime, how do you suggest we get ALL established window cleaners that charge high prices for minutes of work, to keep their prices secret from their customers, & who may have a relation/friend out of work, thay has earned a fraction of this for a 40hr week? ???

Thata what this topic is about..... so the newbies read it i presume. ;)

Otherwise failing that, it would be a mammoth task hunting them down on the streets. ::)

islwyn

« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2010, 09:05:00 pm »
This thread is a wind up ye?

Anybody can join this forum, from guys on the dole to tax inspectors.

If members keep falling for the old "how much do you make per day?" posts and add to them posts you are effectively taking food out of your own childrens mouths, as word spreads, and as you are finding out, business will be lost to the newbies.

What other trade can you enter with no experience, small start up costs, and half a brain?

Exactly!

Go check out other trade forums, sparkies, plumbers, chippies etc.  You never read posts of them bragging how much they earn do you? Well done guys, give yourself a pat on the back.

gewindows

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2010, 09:14:24 pm »
Steady on mate, anyone with half a brain on here is over-qualified  :P

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 09:22:26 pm »
What other trade can you enter with no experience, small start up costs, and half a brain?

You don't have much of an opinion of window cleaners do you. If you ask them what they make in profit you might find it does sound as attractive as they may let on.

Newbies who lowball to get work dont last, I have seen too many come and go. Thats what we are trying to get at, the prices we charge is what we have to charge to make profit, and people who charge £3 a house are kidding themselfs on, and inevitably being taken for a ride by there customers. Because in the end they realise they are working for less that what they would get in an employed job after deductions come off.

Then there is the other bread of have low prices because there dont have the proper insuance, licences, national insurance contributions, or tax, plus dole money from the honest tax payer while they take our customers at half the price, and make it look like we charge too much.