Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

nevil

Re: Carpet shrinkage
« Reply #120 on: February 05, 2010, 09:14:44 pm »
Ask yourself this.

When this landlady eventually gets her replacement carpets of exactly the same type, they're going to get dirty - FACT.  What's she going to do then?

a) live with dirty carpets
b) rip them up and replace them
c) RIP OFF another unsuspecting carpet cleaner

These carpets are sh*t, end of story.  Carpets need to be cleanable, these are not, i.e. not fit for purpose.  The responsibility in my opinion lies with the manufacturer.

I would argue that fact in the courts till I was blue in the face and not pay a penny unless I had guns pointed at me to do so.

I'm professional, I'm generous to customers and I do loads of favours.  But I don't have MUG stamped on my forehead thank very much!

Jim

I feel exactly the same. But our feelings on the matter do not come into it.

The fact is that this type of carpet can be cleaned. But only using LM or VLM. If it went to court, despite our protests I reckon they would find in favour of the custy.

The fact that the CC had not recognized the risk and cleaned accordingly would without a doubt be classed as negligence.   It sucks and many CCs are going to come a cropper. I did and I started out with training and have a naturally cautious approach to any carpets that are out of the ordinary. But that is the nature of our chosen profession.

When I see this carpet in houses now( I even saw some in a rural shop ) it looks obvious now that it shouldn't be wet cleaned. That of course is with the benefit of hindsight. When foresight would have been much more useful.

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2010, 06:35:09 am »
Jim, members, ya know what,this `thread`takes me back to 1978
When discutions were `mulled`over just like this one is ! The only
Difference is,this is written and not spoken face to face like it was
In those days.
Just goes to prove,nothing has moved forward at all…………At all !!
The late Alan Vaughan spoke about acts of parliament and laws being
Changed.It would all be left to the NCCA.Not a hope in hell !

Jim,I can see your point,but also other members too.
At the end of the day the custy wins.Always have and always will.
The job comes with the territory.
Shrinkage,or anything that goes wrong,it`s our occupational hazzard.
Nobody is forcing us to stay in the job,we carry on cleaning at our own
Choice.Don`t forget,we are all consumers.

Lewis  Doubtfire
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

L.Doubtfire - The Blade Runner

« Reply #122 on: February 11, 2010, 06:04:40 am »
Glyn,how are you getting on with this job and customer ?
This carpet might be starting to `relax`out by now.

Lewis  Doubtfire
L. Doubtfire
Window Cleaner

GlynE

« Reply #123 on: February 11, 2010, 01:40:14 pm »
Hello again - Sorry for not being on line for a few days - My PC got hit by 47 viruses!!!! Unfortunately no change in carpets. We are with an insurer required by NCCA, but policy makes no mention of "treatment risk". Claim forms were sent off last week & we awaiting response from insurance company. I will update as soon as we have more information. Once again, thank you everyone for your input & advice....you are amazing xx

Joe H

« Reply #124 on: February 11, 2010, 02:39:50 pm »
My PC got hit by 47 viruses!!!! Unfortunately no change in carpets. We are with an insurer required by NCCA, but policy makes no mention of "treatment risk".

First one - have you downloaded and installed AVG Free Edition?  If not - do it

Second - NCCA require you to show you have treatment risk before you can become a member and renew. If you are a member of the NCCA you will have had to submit the document showing this. If you changed policy mid year and it does not include treatment risk, well.............

Adam P

« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2010, 01:35:40 am »
just read the whole thread and it's taken me ages but a very educating experience. I wonder as the lady said it had been HWE (hot water extracted??) before, say if i was to do a job like this and didn't beleive that would be the case but she insisted it was, could i get her to sign something to say that she said that and that she then is liable if HWE causes any problems?

also does treatment risk cover for negligence in the end? if it doens't what do it cover for which public liability doesn't, and can you get any isurance that covers for negligence?

Jim, members, ya know what,this `thread`takes me back to 1978
When discutions were `mulled`over just like this one is ! The only
Difference is,this is written and not spoken face to face like it was
In those days.
Just goes to prove,nothing has moved forward at all…………At all !!
The late Alan Vaughan spoke about acts of parliament and laws being
Changed.It would all be left to the NCCA.Not a hope in hell !

Jim,I can see your point,but also other members too.
At the end of the day the custy wins.Always have and always will.
The job comes with the territory.
Shrinkage,or anything that goes wrong,it`s our occupational hazzard.
Nobody is forcing us to stay in the job,we carry on cleaning at our own
Choice.Don`t forget,we are all consumers.

Lewis  Doubtfire

just out of curiosity, why do you post like this? the lines are the exact same size unless end of a sentence and have capital letters at the beginning of every new line even though it's not a new sentence. not a dig at you at all, i'm just curios if you're using some funny bit of technology or something? :)

i really feel for you GlynE. i can't imagine how much this must hurt to possibly lose thousands, or even think you may lose thousands. just hope you can find some big cleans over the next few weeks to cover the lose.

what are people's thoughts on the over all cost of this mistake? if insurnace does pick it up and pay, what would be the premium next year? i assume not too much as it'd be cheaper to not claim but i'd like to know so that i can rest/worry knowing if i ever cause a problem what the outcome is likely to be.

robert meldrum

« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2010, 08:23:57 am »
If a floor covering product is sold to the general public but has different characteristics from other similar products which might cause problems when treated as sililar products I'd have thought it would ( under the trade descriptions act ) require a Disclaimer or Warning Notice at least.

GlynE

« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2010, 12:08:59 pm »
Thank you Joe for info re AVG - We had Bullguard in place, but it expired on the day we got hit by all the viruses ...
Insurance have asked for quotes for replacement carpets (Approx £2K), so just awaiting outcome...
Thank you again for all your advice & support everyone - it is good to know that it is out there. We are very, very careful now what we clean. It really does knock your confidence. Everything is tested & double tested....
 Will let you know as soon as we receive decision from insurers...

Michael Smallwood

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2010, 01:16:07 pm »
The old adage "What doe not kill you makes you stronger" should apply here. Do not let your confidence suffer. I hope the insurance outome is the right one for you.

Mike S
Mike Smallwood

www.mascleaning.com

Joe H

« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2010, 02:18:12 pm »
GlynE
Another tip to look after your computer
Download this free program    http://www.iobit.com/systemcare.html 
Been using it a few months now and my computer has speeded up.
I would also recommend going over from Internet Explorer and using Google Chrome.
I use these on my computer and feel I have benifitted.

GlynE

« Reply #130 on: February 25, 2010, 10:49:45 pm »
Thank you Mike - your words are very true & much appreciated.

Thank you also Joe. I will most certainly have a look at that link. I had thought of Google, but I have designed our websites myself thru office live (So that I can update & maintain them myself) so I need to be able to still access those, especially my website for healing as I have to add testimonials).... but thank you again, you are so very kind

It has been such a pleasure speaking with you all & receiving your help & support. I will let you know outcome as soon as we hear their decision.

GlynE

« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2010, 10:41:50 am »
Final update - Insurance have accepted claim & Guest house are now in process of having carpets replaced (With Seagrass again). Thank you again for all your very kind help, thoughts & advice. It is so good to know that there are so many nice, friendly & helpful people out there. Thank you all

derek west

« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2010, 10:48:32 am »
with seagrass again, i wonder why? ;D

guess they'll be getting a new one in a few years time and we'll be giving advice to unsuspecting cc in the future. ;D

Adam P

« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2010, 10:48:50 am »
lucky escape! how much was it going to cost if they hadn't covered it?

richy27

« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2010, 11:03:15 am »
with seagrass again, i wonder why? ;D

guess they'll be getting a new one in a few years time and we'll be giving advice to unsuspecting cc in the future. ;D

the likely hood is the didnt have a choice in replacement.  your prob right derek 3 years time someone elses insurance will pay for their new flooring.

good news though gla you got i sorted out

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2010, 12:16:00 pm »
Final update - Insurance have accepted claim & Guest house are now in process of having carpets replaced (With Seagrass again). Thank you again for all your very kind help, thoughts & advice. It is so good to know that there are so many nice, friendly & helpful people out there. Thank you all

I am glad insurance as acepted claim but I am puzzled as I thought you said you did not have treatment risk

If you have ot an insurance company paid up makes me wonder why the rest of us pay extra for this cover.

If you could clarify it would be very hepful

expro

« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2010, 02:41:52 pm »
It is always a shame when this sort of thing happens but this could have been
avoided if a proper survey had been done  prior to carrying out the clean.
It is no good blaming the carpet fitter because even when fully stuck to the
underlay as in a commercial installation this carpet would still shrink if it was
extraction cleaned.
Expro

derek west

« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2010, 02:55:29 pm »
we all make mistakes expro, even me :o ;D

human nature i'm affraid, the idea is to learn from them. and if there a happy ending like this one then all the better.

Tony Gill Carpet Smart

« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2010, 03:32:07 pm »
Derek Nooooooooooooo lol ;D

Tony

ps missed you at carpex Thursday m8
STAY YOUNG HAVE FUN BE HAPPY xx
www.carpetcleanersbridlington.co.uk

derek west

« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2010, 03:52:15 pm »
well i'm sure we'll meet again some sunny day tony.  ;D

and i got a round in (coffee's that is) ya missed that one.