Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

[GQC] Tim

Rock salt or table salt?
« on: December 23, 2009, 11:52:46 am »
What's cheaper and what's better for the work that we do?

Might sound like a silly question, but would like to know.

jeff1

Re: Rock salt or table salt?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2009, 11:55:20 am »
I use the bags of table salt from Tesco's, I don't want to leave lumps of the stuff laying around I want cover straight away. 

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 11:57:24 am »
I use the bags of table salt from Tesco's, I don't want to leave lumps of the stuff laying around I want cover straight away. 

That's a good point, that was on my mind as well. Might pop over to Sainsbury's later on.

How long does a packet last roughly? Do you use much, or just as much as is needed?

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:59:57 am »
I'm using about 2kg per 3 bed semi,.. its cheap as chips so better safe than sorry.

jeff1

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 12:02:13 pm »
A big bag lasts us a fair time because we only use it on the area of walkways that we get wet, say like a front door area, make a point of telling your custies that you salt any area's you get wet and you'll find most of them  are very pleased that you take their safety seriously.

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2009, 12:25:51 pm »
Umm, no....  ???

Ewan, do you mean to try to be controversial?

Murdie window cleaning

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2009, 12:27:54 pm »
You’re asking for trouble if somebody slips after you put that stuff down, even if you put it on your own garden path, your liable. You will be better off just letting any water freeze.

Not sure I follow, if you leave water from your system on a path and it freezes then  the customer is quite rightly going to be annoyed. But if you take mesures to prevent this then you have reduced the chances of any accidents.

rg1

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2009, 12:31:14 pm »
And more importantly, if you leave it wet by the door and custy slips over they could claim.
The pen is mightier than the sword (and a lot easier to write with!)

lee_dewing

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2009, 01:47:23 pm »
does anyone moan when you salt their path i.e they could tread in and bugger carpet?

Do you salt befor or after doing the windows?

thanks lee.
Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work.     - Aristotle

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2009, 02:03:19 pm »
Umm, no....  ???

Ewan, do you mean to try to be controversial?

Hmm yes,   ;D

You try to make something safe, and someone has an accident your fault. You’re admitting liability by putting the salt down.

Go and clean customers windows leave the water to evaporate or freeze, whatever, the customer slips, there fault not yours.

Daft I know.

If you fail to salt you could be sued for negligence. Its a no-win situation, if someone has an accident if you work in these conditions whatever you do ro do not do you could be for the high jump.

Personally Id prefer to salt if I was to work in this weather (I dont and wont though). Its the responsible thing to do.

Squirting water round in this weather is plain irresponsible really, salting is just done to ease consciences.

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2009, 02:47:33 pm »
does anyone moan when you salt their path

Ask the slugs see what they say  ;)

tomo

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2009, 04:16:03 pm »
i always where possible give a verbal warning but this is the main reason i carry public liabilty so if they sue,  you are covered. i have checked this with my insurance and you are covered when someone slips and its your fault.

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2009, 05:00:39 pm »
If you don't salt and someone slips they can sue.

If you do salt and someone still slips they can still sue, but you have a defence that you tried to make it safe.

The chances of someone slipping are a lot less if you did put salt down though,.. so its a no-brainer for me. I've used a huge amount of salt this week, but at least I could still work & I got all my jobs completed before the hols!

Pj

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 05:19:22 pm »
If you clear a pathway and salt you are admitting risk is there so you are accepting liability.
However, don't use table salt, it freezes back over in no time.  Use the proper stuff.

SherwoodCleaningSe

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2009, 07:03:18 pm »
I use rock salt and all the customers are well impressed. As for being sued well they would have to prove that it was my water and not the snow or rain that made them slip afterall they won't slip on salt. I think it's the right thing to do.

Simon. 

Window Washers

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 07:08:28 pm »
If you clear a pathway and salt you are admitting risk is there so you are accepting liability.
However, don't use table salt, it freezes back over in no time.  Use the proper stuff.
My table salt pathways is cleaer unlike others on the street, it depends on how much salt you use ;)
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 07:14:46 pm »
surely u can all scrim doors/trad downstairs windows if water is freezing on the ground rather than chucking salt down everywhere? ::)
price higher/work harder!

Window Washers

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 07:18:10 pm »
surely u can all scrim doors/trad downstairs windows if water is freezing on the ground rather than chucking salt down everywhere? ::)
I have been trad'ing doors and leaving windows above walkways, every one understand the safe aspect  ;D they even thank me which is a plus point to doing less work.

*Edited for Mr Dazmond*, I mean windows above walk ways, first floor windows not ground floor hope you understand what I mean now. :-*
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 07:51:20 pm »
so are u saying u would miss say a downstairs living room window if there was a walkway underneath?i would sack u on the spot matey!because u cant be arsed to get ur squeegy out and clean it!then try and charge me a tenner for the windows?ur a cowboy pal! ;) ;D ;D
price higher/work harder!

Window Washers

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 08:01:52 pm »
so are u saying u would miss say a downstairs living room window if there was a walkway underneath?i would sack u on the spot matey!because u cant be arsed to get ur squeegy out and clean it!then try and charge me a tenner for the windows?ur a cowboy pal! ;) ;D ;D
No not at all, I would trad that window  ::), and reframe from calling me a cowboy mr, I am not the one using an old trad tool for a job in 2009 when there is a better method available, this would make you the cowboy would it not   :P