Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

baldeagle

Re: Putting Prices Up; Up North
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2005, 09:36:13 am »
Yes, I've come across the "Beer Money" types in just the few months that I've been at Window Cleaning.
In fact, I think part of the round that I've built up was serviced by one of these bandits. Two of my customers have referred to him as "A right winker", [I think!].

Prices reflect many factors; not just things like size of house and access, but area, [or it's affluence], and of course the personal circumstance of the 'cleaner.

I am only a P/T W/C, about 6 days a month. being on a couple of occupational pensions.
My mortgage is paid off, my family, [3 girls], all grown up and flown the nest. And I am [happily!!!] divorced.

I don't need the money to live on; in my case, I enjoy the work, it keeps me fit, and finally it brings money in.

I've avoided the "He's only doing for the beer money" approach in my case by registering with the Inland Revenue and the National Insurance people, although I have now been issued with a National Insurance exemption certificate.

I've set myself up correctly, as far as I know, with insurance, and all the rest of the necessities.

I've tried to pitch my prices comparable with the other local 'cleaners, so as not to destroy the local window cleaning economy.
I think I do a better job than them, [of course! don't we all?].
I'm not as fast, but I don't care, and I've made some lovely friends through it.

Having been registered on this forum for a few weeks now, I realised that pricing is probably the most personal and contentious subject.

Baldeagle in Staffordshire
"John the Window Cleaner."
A business founded during the Elizabethan age.

Londoner

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2005, 10:58:38 am »
You are certainly right when you suggest that pricing is the most contentious subject on this forum.

It might seem that we go round and round in circles with this one and never get anywhere.
 That is not entirely true however because a lot of guys have responded to our discussions by raising their prices and finding that the customers have accepted it

I think that pricing will always be contentious and as we are all in it for the money, the subject closest to our hearts.

Its easy to get customers by quoting cheap prices anyone can do it. Even me!

The Bear

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2005, 04:35:21 pm »
THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WILL PAY FOR GOOD QUALITY AND RELIABLITY.  If you are no better than the bloke who is after a bit of beer money then why should they pay more? 

This is the truth!

The only obstacle to higher prices is the window cleaner himself.

"We couldn't charge that here" is rubbish

We keep picking up work from a window cleaner who has just got a "proper job" !!!!!

I sold him the work 7 years ago, he never raised the price, he got discouraged, he quit.

I put in a price at least double and the customers are delighted. Why?

Because they know me, they trust me, they know my work is 1st class.

Please, please, don't work for nothing.

You need to earn £20 per hour plus.

BUT YOU MUST DO AN EXCELLENT JOB!

Sorry to shout.

Londoner

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2005, 09:12:55 am »
I know and I agree wholeheartedly but I have gone on record several time on this forum to admit I am too soft.
I decide to toughen up and go for the killer prices in future but something always goes wrong.

Its my mouth I think, it says fifteen quid so that it sounds like ten to the customer.