Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Duke

Re: What is your town/city famous for?
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2005, 06:04:14 pm »
sounds about right.....

brett walker

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2005, 05:21:56 pm »
 im in nottingham its famous for :-

robin hood   ;)

nottingham lace  ;D

nottingham panthers  ;)

nottingham forest f. c  { many years ago }  ::)

gun crime  :o  :-[

AuRavelling79

Re: What is your town/city famous for? New
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2005, 06:04:39 pm »
As I started this thread and no-one has mentioned Bristol's famous folk or land-marks, here goes.

John Cabot:-     Sailed to North America (Newfoundland) 1497 - a replica of his ship The Matthew is in Bristol Docks

Isambard Kingdom Brunel:-      Designed/Built the Great Western Railway, Clifton Suspension Bridge, Great Britain (first ocean going screw-propeller steam ship, in Bristol Docks today) plus loadsa non-Bristol related stuff

Avon Gorge, 250ft high cliffs alongside the A4 Portway and River Avon between Bristol and Avonmouth

St Mary Redcliffe church (not a cathedral, but with a spire of 292ft) described by Queen Elizabeth the 1st as "the fairest, goodliest most famous parish church ...."

It's a game of three halves!

jakeandmia

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2005, 08:01:58 pm »
NUNEATON famous for novelist george eliot and larry grayson

rosskesava

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2005, 10:00:25 pm »
I posted the below in the wrong place. I posted it in the 'where in the uk are we from' topic. Der...............

Just heard on the local news tonight that where I live, in Brighton, was the first recorded place for a person to be done for streaking in 1844.

Also, it was the first place for a man to be done for non violent sexual assault in public. He pretended to be blind and then asked young ladies for help crossing the road and then groped them. This happened in 1878.

And ...........  it has the only grade one listed pier (the West Pier) that is a tangled wreck having been destroyed by the 1978 gales (I think), been set fire to 3 times and further detroyed  by a force 10 last year despite there having been the money to rebuild it from day one.