Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

bridger windows

Ionics, Brodex, Pure Freendom, Diy?
« on: October 07, 2009, 11:52:29 am »
Can i have some opinions on the best choice to make from people who have the kit or know people etc. I was very close to going with pure freedom, but am still waiting for a quote. I am also worried about water rejection as my area might be going onto meter at some point. Thanks for your help all!

Ps I will be using heated water versions

tomy jackson

Re: Ionics, Brodex, Pure Freendom, Diy?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 12:22:50 pm »
tark to pure freedom and and ask abute the 40,40 ro  ,i went diy not to bad if yous handy

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 12:39:59 pm »
If safety is your main concern then Ionics' are the only ones who have carried out a proper crash test program. In my opinion this means that Ionics' are currently the best systems.

If you are not concerned about this then I would recommend Pure Freedom for value for money.

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 12:47:31 pm »
If safety is your main concern then Ionics' are the only ones who have carried out a proper crash test program. In my opinion this means that Ionics' are currently the best systems.

If you are not concerned about this then I would recommend Pure Freedom for value for money.

Gardiners are bringing out their own system quite soon, and they are crash tested as well.

matt

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 02:11:23 pm »

Gardiners are bringing out their own system quite soon, and they are crash tested as well.

how will ironics cope with that  ? ? ? ? ? will we see the return of the comedy duo ? ? ?  ??
will the fun and games start up again  ? ? ? ?

we wait with baited breath  :P

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 04:02:06 pm »

how will ironics cope with that  ? ? ? ? ? will we see the return of the comedy duo ? ? ?  ??
will the fun and games start up again  ? ? ? ?

we wait with baited breath  :P

Ionics' I'm sure are far too grown up for such antics these days. I on the other hand.....well who knows :)

Archer

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 04:09:33 pm »

bridger windows,

just for the record: I am selling an 18month old Ionics PRO 5 400 Ltr system (baffled & caged), fitting kit, hose & reel, salt

Also had an extra port fitted by Ionics to run 2 poles.

Also Ionics fitted a cap ontop of the tank to pour pure water in from 25ltr tubs for the bigger jobs to increase water volume immesdiatly.

Only selling as i've bought a bigger system

£2,100.00 in very good condition.

07788 503775

dd

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 04:21:12 pm »
IMO if it is viable for you, go for a static pure water production system in e.g. your garage. The Ro-man 300gpd ro unit is well suited to this.

Then have your van kitted out by whoever. Water fed pole system in Grantham do a hot water system for a reasonable price. I think around 4k incl. tank, pump etc or around 6k if you have the RO etc in the van.

bridger windows

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 04:25:15 pm »
thanks for the offer but i need 700l, the most i can squeeze into a long wheel based vivaro-type van, plus i need a static system and delivery system on van as i cant fill straight to van. Again thanks!

bridger windows

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 04:29:46 pm »
Im concerned that the other companies are vague when it comes to water rejection, ionics pro 6 rejects only 20% whereas most others including pro 5 and below reject 40-60%. No good if we all go onto meters!

JRDEasiReach

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 04:34:11 pm »
IMO if it is viable for you, go for a static pure water production system in e.g. your garage. The Ro-man 300gpd ro unit is well suited to this.

Then have your van kitted out by whoever. Water fed pole system in Grantham do a hot water system for a reasonable price. I think around 4k incl. tank, pump etc or around 6k if you have the RO etc in the van.

WOW thats a rough price that 4k without RO and 6K with it, i got a whole complete system fitted in mine for around 2500 fitted and all and filled to capacity before i left the point of sale. 
JRD Easi Reach
'The Ladderless Window Cleaning System'

dd

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2009, 04:51:08 pm »

WOW thats a rough price that 4k without RO and 6K with it, i got a whole complete system fitted in mine for around 2500 fitted and all and filled to capacity before i left the point of sale. 
That is for a Hot water system. Also depends which option you go for as they offer entry level, intermediate and top spec. So yes it is a rough price incl VAT.

I paid 2k 31/2 years ago for system without ro as I use a static system. Trying to illustrate they are cheaper than Ionics and Brodex.

stephen s

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2009, 05:59:17 pm »
Its really all down to choice and budget at the end of the day,  if your on a tight budget the d i y route is an option,  or pure freedom  but if you can afford it then I would highly recommend an Ionics system.

I bought a pro 5  650 LTR thermapure in August 06 and I love it as it performs brilliantly time after time,  and yes Ionics is more expensive but as in life what you get is what you pay for.

Ionics systems are fitted professionally and as pointed out they are crash tested so safety is taken very seriously,   filling becomes a formality after just a couple of fills and when I come a cross a really dirty job I just switch the hot on and it breezes through it.

Since August 06 I have changed the following

Carbon Filter ONCE
Water Softner ONCE
Resin Once and that was back in January this year and my water still goes out at 000
oh and a couple of months ago I changed the battery

but as I say its all down to personal choice and budget but I know when I buy a 2nd system it will be Ionics again although as smart as the new tanks look with the black casing I would prefer to see the tank to see exactly how much water is in it.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2009, 06:05:58 pm »
Im concerned that the other companies are vague when it comes to water rejection, ionics pro 6 rejects only 20% whereas most others including pro 5 and below reject 40-60%. No good if we all go onto meters!

Its an expense that we will just have to accept. after all we are in business.

Matt
Reaching parts traditional window cleaners can not reach.

Mr T

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2009, 06:14:45 pm »
sureclean systems, omagh - speak to Arthur 02882240730

GWCS

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 06:34:57 pm »
Isn't Brodex crash tested now??

Anyway

yes add Gardiners to the list new system due out mid November - but dates may change.

There is also Varitech in Devon who do van mounts.

windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 08:00:38 pm »
Ionics' I'm sure are far too grown up for such antics these days. I on the other hand.....well who knows :)

CAN WE HAVE A DATE FOR WHEN YOU SYSTEM IS DUE OUT
---THE BEST YOU CAN GET---
www.windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 08:01:27 pm »

ALEX, CAN WE HAVE A DATE FOR WHEN YOU SYSTEM IS DUE OUT
---THE BEST YOU CAN GET---
www.windowcleaninginessex.co.uk

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 08:13:12 pm »
Isn't Brodex crash tested now??

Anyway

yes add Gardiners to the list new system due out mid November - but dates may change.

There is also Varitech in Devon who do van mounts.

My original words were "Ionics' are the only ones who have carried out a proper crash test program" - this is quite different to having one 'sideways mounted' mid-range tank of indeterminate water level being shown in a crash video.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 08:14:44 pm »

CAN WE HAVE A DATE FOR WHEN YOU SYSTEM IS DUE OUT

Most people on the Forum know what I'm like when it comes to accurately predicting a launch date for a new product  :)

It will not be before mid-November.

Steve_c

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 08:36:44 pm »
I run an Ionics Pro 6.I'm absolutely delighted with it. Water meters i wouldn't worry about it. To fill a 600 lt System pro6 is roughly about 2/3 baths full, if you want to look at it like that. If you want i can discuss the system with you in greater detail. Let me Know Steve.

Steve_c

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 08:41:56 pm »
Its really all down to choice and budget at the end of the day,  if your on a tight budget the d i y route is an option,  or pure freedom  but if you can afford it then I would highly recommend an Ionics system.

I bought a pro 5  650 LTR thermapure in August 06 and I love it as it performs brilliantly time after time,  and yes Ionics is more expensive but as in life what you get is what you pay for.

Ionics systems are fitted professionally and as pointed out they are crash tested so safety is taken very seriously,   filling becomes a formality after just a couple of fills and when I come a cross a really dirty job I just switch the hot on and it breezes through it.

Since August 06 I have changed the following

Carbon Filter ONCE
Water Softner ONCE
Resin Once and that was back in January this year and my water still goes out at 000
oh and a couple of months ago I changed the battery

but as I say its all down to personal choice and budget but I know when I buy a 2nd system it will be Ionics again although as smart as the new tanks look with the black casing I would prefer to see the tank to see exactly how much water is in it.
I have the black casing on top is a water gage no problem

lee k

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 09:00:13 pm »
Omnipole do a good hot water system  great service

bridger windows

« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 10:59:31 pm »
Thanks for all you responses, I think I have decided to go with Ionics, it all tax deductible at the end of the day and you do get what you pay for, Pure freedom still havent sent me a quote a week on! I was nearly convinced.

Will be ordering pro 6 thermo pure, 1000l static single RO, booster pump. Comes with free 45ft carbon fiber and 24ft glider pole.

Now need to sort out long wheel base van!

bridger windows

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2009, 07:37:25 pm »
Ps pure freedom still havent sent me a quote, you would think the current climate they would be bending over backwards to get my money! USELESS.

GWCS

« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2009, 07:44:13 pm »
Ps pure freedom still havent sent me a quote, you would think the current climate they would be bending over backwards to get my money! USELESS.

I sent a email to Brodex, Varitech, Concept and Pure Freedom regarding a quote for a van system over a week ago.

Only received ONE reply which was from Pure Freedom within 2 days.

matt

« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2009, 07:48:35 pm »

a little harsh

e.mails sometimes do not arrive

a phone call or send the e.mail again might have been a better option than coming on here and slagging them off

GWCS

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2009, 08:15:11 pm »

a little harsh

e.mails sometimes do not arrive

a phone call or send the e.mail again might have been a better option than coming on here and slagging them off

I agree!

If your serious regarding a quote, you phone them.

Personally my quote isn't urgent and i wanted to know the type of price for my spec required.

When i am serious about having a quote i will phone them all..

bridger windows

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2009, 04:54:25 pm »
I did call them a week later and he said it was on his to do list, still no quote another week later, USELESS. If they are that unhelpful before i part with my cash then what are they going to be like after. Im going with Ionics, they couldnt be more helpful

matt

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2009, 07:48:29 pm »
I did call them a week later and he said it was on his to do list, still no quote another week later, USELESS. If they are that unhelpful before i part with my cash then what are they going to be like after. Im going with Ionics, they couldnt be more helpful

but you are also paying double ( if not more ) that the purefreedom unit

why ? ? ?  ? ? because they gave you a quote quicker or were more helpfull, they have a salesteam ready to take your money, thats why

GWCS

« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2009, 07:51:01 pm »

but you are also paying double ( if not more ) that the purefreedom unit

why ? ? ?  ? ? because they gave you a quote quicker or were more helpfull, they have a salesteam ready to take your money, thats why

yup, thats why your paying more for the sales team to deal with your "issue". and the vast amount of advertising they do  ;)

matt

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2009, 08:18:11 pm »
of course the sales team as ironics is on the ball, thats what they do, they sell

purefreedom havent got that sales team in place

i cannot believe i am arguing the case for purefreedom , though to be fair, they have delivered and been good with the items i have purchased off them

Mr T

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2009, 08:24:05 pm »
Ionics dint get back to Archer after 6 calls

hennessy window cl

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2009, 09:33:02 pm »
purefreedom got back to me with a quote within 24 hours with exactly what I asked for unlike other companies that do not seem to read your emails properly,
                                            cheers,
                                                      Liam.
liam hennessy

ladders no more

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 12:22:30 am »
of course the sales team as ironics is on the ball, thats what they do, they sell

purefreedom havent got that sales team in place

i cannot believe i am arguing the case for purefreedom , though to be fair, they have delivered and been good with the items i have purchased off them

Reading your post mat you the Ambasader to DIY and if your happy with the parts you needed your views Gospel on here.
I am no DIY toatly usless so thats why I have always used them since getting a trolly from them.

They have always returned calls and always got resing and filters when needed.

But as in this trade you will aways get the un happy custy if you could please every body then you would get all the work

drwindows

« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2009, 09:37:00 am »
No offense matt but you are coming across as DESPERATE to try and turn him to anyone but ionics.  I have an ionics machine and I'm over the moon with it.

Have you bought an ionics system?  Have you ever been shown around their factory (as I have)?  If not, no offense but I don't think you're really the best person to give advice because unless you actually have done then you dont know what you're talking about.

Personally I would recommend ionics to anybody.  Qualitly gear from a quality outfit IMO.

JW1

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2009, 11:32:46 am »
Don't mean to highjack the thread, but while we are on the subject I have found Purefreedon very easy to deal with so far.

They have recommended this;

1 x High volume 40 inch Reverse Osmosis System with automatic fill & shutoff.

2 x 20 inch Reverse Osmosis Prefilters

1 x 500 litre Baffled Tank

Full stainless steel securing cage.

2 x 100 psi Pumps & Strainers

2 x Flowmaster Digital Electronic Pump controller, one controller to incorporate a level fill relay and the other to have a built in split load relay wired to the vehicle to provide on board charging.

1 x 100 Ah Deep Cycle Leisure Battery

1 x 18x6" DI vessel complete with Deionisation resin

1 x Professional Metal Hose Reel with 100mtrs of 8mm Microbore Hose.

1 x Handheld Digital TDS Meter

1 x GXTEL 4S Fibre Glass pole c/w brush

1 x GXTEL 20S Fibre Glass pole c/w brush

1 x Protectacote kit to protect the back of the van from water spillage

External Ports for filling and working from the vehicle with it locked

All fixtures and fittings and a professional trouble free installation at our factory in one day, and if required training in the use of water fed poles can be arranged

The cost for the above will be £2422.73 including VAT

Does it sound like a good starter system?  They suggest 2 pumps (one for a back-up) even though I am a one man band, is that necessary?

Cost ok?  Poles ok?

Any advice gratefully received, cheers

matt

« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2009, 06:20:32 pm »
No offense matt but you are coming across as DESPERATE to try and turn him to anyone but ionics.  I have an ionics machine and I'm over the moon with it.

Have you bought an ionics system?  Have you ever been shown around their factory (as I have)?  If not, no offense but I don't think you're really the best person to give advice because unless you actually have done then you dont know what you're talking about.

no, i do not own a system from them, BUT i have seen the demo van ( with full sales pitch, you know the, the ionics logo means you will be offered the best commercial work and council contracts  ::)) , i have seen the system being used and i have been to the factory and been given a bit of a tour on how things are put together  ;) now i guess that has surprised you

Personally I would recommend ionics to anybody.  Qualitly gear from a quality outfit IMO.

yes they are quality, though nothing better than other makers ( inc purefreedom, who will use the same component  and as they are a engineering firm its a safe bet that purefreedom know how to make and fix a frame in a van ), we have been down this discussion many times, they use industry standard components which are available elsewhere without the hefty markup

from my point of view he is buying a system because the sales team got back to him and did a good job on the sales pitch, now thats all fine and dandy BUT here ( CIU ) we have loads ( and i mean loads ) of purefreedom happy customers, purefreedom charge a down-to-earth price and do a good job, nothing wrong in that, so just because they didnt reply to a email asking for a price they are not being used

matt

« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2009, 06:26:04 pm »
Don't mean to highjack the thread, but while we are on the subject I have found Purefreedon very easy to deal with so far.

They have recommended this;

1 x High volume 40 inch Reverse Osmosis System with automatic fill & shutoff.

2 x 20 inch Reverse Osmosis Prefilters

1 x 500 litre Baffled Tank

Full stainless steel securing cage.

2 x 100 psi Pumps & Strainers

2 x Flowmaster Digital Electronic Pump controller, one controller to incorporate a level fill relay and the other to have a built in split load relay wired to the vehicle to provide on board charging.

1 x 100 Ah Deep Cycle Leisure Battery

1 x 18x6" DI vessel complete with Deionisation resin

1 x Professional Metal Hose Reel with 100mtrs of 8mm Microbore Hose.

1 x Handheld Digital TDS Meter

1 x GXTEL 4S Fibre Glass pole c/w brush

1 x GXTEL 20S Fibre Glass pole c/w brush

1 x Protectacote kit to protect the back of the van from water spillage

External Ports for filling and working from the vehicle with it locked

All fixtures and fittings and a professional trouble free installation at our factory in one day, and if required training in the use of water fed poles can be arranged

The cost for the above will be £2422.73 including VAT

Does it sound like a good starter system?  They suggest 2 pumps (one for a back-up) even though I am a one man band, is that necessary?

Cost ok?  Poles ok?

Any advice gratefully received, cheers

not a bad setup

the spare pump board and controller is a fair call, as if 1 breaks you might be down from work for 2 or 3 days while a replacement is posted etc etc, take into account the lost income and it makes sense , i have a spare pump on my van, just ready to swap over if mine breaks, down time will be less that 10 mins

i wouldnt go with the poles as they will be heavy, but i use converted fishing poles for lightness, plenty use FG poles though and they are happy

i do wonder if the RO is overkill aswell, but then i allways think this, as i use 250 L a day

break down the costs for buying the parts in and building it yourself

elite mike

« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2009, 06:38:52 pm »
matt, a mates just bought the above system off pf

he is delighted with it, and they have made a damn good job of fitting it

given me some good ideas for my own setup   ;)

easycleaner

« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2009, 09:20:26 pm »
Bridges have you checked you SPAM?????
Mart.

bridger windows

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2009, 01:54:47 pm »
i finally received a quote which was the same as the first quote, I wanted it broken down but they just sent combined price. I know I have spent a lot more money than i could have but I want the security that the after sales support will be top notch. Tha guy on the phone made me fel like i was pestering him and he sounded like he was not interested. I know Ionics have good sales team, but they still have been the most helpful polite and interested company. This is a big step for me so I want good service and quality equipment behind me.

dd

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2009, 03:12:22 pm »
Have you got your system yet then?

bridger windows

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2009, 06:01:24 pm »
No I'm waiting for it to be built, should be ready by end of the month. I'm pooting it a bit, this is a big change and don't want to lose any customers!

dd

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2009, 06:34:28 pm »
You are going for a static system as I understand (in garage). Does it include an automatic water softener?

bridger windows

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2009, 06:51:20 pm »
Im getting a static 1000l in shed, there is a water softener as one of the 5 stages of filtration. 700l thermo delivery as i cant leave the van 10 hours to be filled. They are supplying me with a 50m inch hose to transfer to van. what system do you have

dd

« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2009, 07:15:07 pm »
If possible go for an automatic water softener (the kind you would have in your house) as opposed to one where you have to do a salt backwash on each refill as it makes life easier and less hassle.

After purchasing an expensive RO system from Aquafactors which kept breaking down (problems with pump and solenoid valve on RO unit) I replaced the RO unit with a 300 gpd ro-man RO, which cost £250.

Water goes through softener then RO and into static  tank. I dont bother to use resin as water produced is around 004. Mains pressure is 50psi or just over so I don't need a booster pump.

I am sure the Ionics system will work well for you, but the important bit is how pure the water comes out the RO membrane, because their coloured resin tubes are expensive and you don't want to have to replace them too often.

josh

« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2009, 10:02:44 pm »
alex....brodex have crash tested there machine, i saw a video on there website, i had a demo from an ionics man,he didn't even seem interested in anything i asked, got a quote from brodex and pure freedom pure freedom are cheap and there systems look it.

i am in the predicament of what to buy at the moment and i think it will be brodex, lad has been very helpful with me from there.

drwindows

« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2009, 11:49:20 pm »
brodex so-called crash testing has a LOT of question marks over it as far as I'm concerned.  What was the speed?  I havent seen any evidence at all.  To me looks like its about 10mph.

The brodex bloke came on here before saying he was going to put the full mira report on the website blah blah blah...that was months ago and still nothing.  If i was brodex and had a successful 30mph crash test i'd be screaming it in great detail from the rooftops. 

Compare that to ionics website where they have a vast amount of detailed information and ALL of the test videos with speed data.

The fact that there is a distinct LACK of detail from brodex makes me think something is definately questionable.

Very suspicious if you ask me.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2009, 07:36:52 am »
alex....brodex have crash tested there machine, i saw a video on there website, i had a demo from an ionics man,he didn't even seem interested in anything i asked, got a quote from brodex and pure freedom pure freedom are cheap and there systems look it.

i am in the predicament of what to buy at the moment and i think it will be brodex, lad has been very helpful with me from there.

Brodex have crash tested one machine but this is not their largest model and each of their models are quite different in their design and structure.  Also, the model crash tested is fitted for the crash test the opposite way round to the way they are normally mounted.  In my mind this is not a proper crash test programme.  Ionics on the other hand have done a series of crash tests showing the difference between different design features and they have always crash tested their largest system which uses a very similar frame structure to all their other systems.  The only one I would feel confident sitting in front of is the Ionics.

Robin Ray

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2009, 04:50:37 pm »
Crash testing is nessesary as a ton hitting you in the back or the head will require more than a bag of frozen peas and a call to NHS direct.

A crash test programe is a good marketing tool but it is a very expensive marketing tool. The marketing message is clear "In the event of a crash (a dead stop at 30mph) your waterfedpole system won't kill you" Its a bit like buying a modern crash tested car, the car manufacturer is naturaly proud that their product is safe. The difference in the motor industry is safety is viewed as a standard, not a luxury.

bridger windows

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2009, 06:06:37 pm »
I think I am going for the best system (Ionics pro 6) it crash tested if only 30 mph, and it only rejects 20% of the water it filters compared to most others which are around 60% These systems already use loads of water so im happy to be buying the least wasteful (all bar the pro 7 which wastes 0 %). Cant wait to get it up and running!

dd

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2009, 06:29:57 pm »
The less water it rejects the more filters it will go through. The waste water carries away the impurities. People typically run 4040 ro's at around a 50% waste ratio, but if you talk to someone like June at Gaps Water she will suggest running a much higher waste ratio.

In order to get 0% waste they simply run the remaining waste water through DI resin, which is what you are trying to save on by using an RO in the first place.

I am sure the ionics system will work well for you, just don't necessarily believe all their sales pitch..

drwindows

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2009, 06:48:21 pm »
In order to get 0% waste they simply run the remaining waste water through DI resin, which is what you are trying to save on by using an RO in the first place.

Totally wrong.

I have a pro-6 unit, but I looked at the pro-7, and that is not how it works at all.

IMO the pro-7 is way too expensive, so forget about it.

dd

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2009, 06:57:50 pm »
How does it work then?

2 people who should know told me that is how it works.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2009, 07:21:48 pm »

at Purefreedom they are extremely busy, due to the fact MOST people want their system!
Ionics on the other hand are that OVER priced that they have alot of time on their hands, therefore can deal with your request almost instantly!!!
If you want to pay the most for a system, that in a lot of peoples eyes is no different to a system Purefreedom can offer.
then go for it.
But don't slag companies off before you get a full explanation for why they have taken so long!!

Matt

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2009, 07:29:58 pm »
its all very well going on about a crash test at 30mph!! have they tested a crash at 70mph? NO they havent.
why waste the money crash testing it at 30, why not have the test at 70mph, then if it passes that, it would be safe in a 30mph crash.
also do lorries have cages built on their trailers and bolt each and every pallet everytime they go on the road?
what about the couriers that carry over a tonne in weight on 2 pallets in the back. are they bolted down?

Matt

Steve CM

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2009, 07:35:43 pm »
I got a quote through yesterday from pure freedom. i think i asked for it on tuesday, mine included the hot and a van also. he can't be that busy ;)

Robin Ray

« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2009, 08:17:23 pm »
Systems are tested at 30mph due to the fact that a dead stop any faster would kill the driver on impact without any load. Any test over this speed would be a waste of money as the driver would already be dead.

The couriers who carry over a tonne are in danger in the event of a crash, which is a good point. Maybe there is a gap in the market for some form of better restraint system for this application. ;D

The real point is at the end of the day everyone can make their choice of system, it all depends on their budget, priorities, and needs.

Sapphire Window Cleaning

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2009, 08:28:09 pm »
Systems are tested at 30mph due to the fact that a dead stop any faster would kill the driver on impact without any load. Any test over this speed would be a waste of money as the driver would already be dead.

The couriers who carry over a tonne are in danger in the event of a crash, which is a good point. Maybe there is a gap in the market for some form of better restraint system for this application. ;D

The real point is at the end of the day everyone can make their choice of system, it all depends on their budget, priorities, and needs.

so your saying that a head on collision of 2 vehicles travelling at 15mph would kill both drivers?
A 30mph sudden stop collision is exactly the same as a head on collision with 2 vehicles travelling at 15mph each.

Matt

Robin Ray

« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2009, 09:06:58 pm »
No Im saying that if you drove your car in to a motorway bridge at speeds of over 30mph you are unlikley to survive.

Driving your car in to another car at 15mph at the same time as it drives in to you at 15 mph is probably not healthy. But this will not be as severe as there are two crumple zones which absorb the impact. The weight of the vehicles also play a large part. For example two smart cars coliding at 30mph will not be as damaged after impact as much as two tankers.

I think the point is safety regarding crash testing; the real point though is how the current systems are marketed for your cash and not the real safety aspect these system offer. Budget, Priorities & needs all come into it with any system regardless of safety. But to sell wfp systems under an illusion of safety, especially when that individual may be making there decision to buy a particular wfp system on safety alone, is hypocritical and misleading.

Or do you think that is acceptable?

I think striving to provide the safest product available and telling people about it is acceptable and not misleading and definately not hypocritical.

Robin Ray

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2009, 09:30:15 pm »
The big problem is money. To crash a system in every van on the market would cost alot of money. Which is why it will never happen.

The next best thing though is a system which has been designed to withstand a crash in any vehicle and does not rely on the structural integrity of the vehicle too much.

The next best thing after that is a system which has been through a crash test.

The marketing side of things is only hypocritical if it pretends to be something its not which is probably a job for trading standards.

George P

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2009, 11:29:53 pm »
just to add my thoughts any crash testing is good, but we have crashed / wrote off two vans one  with 750ltr tank and one 1000ltr tank both near full, on both occasions th esystems only moved within the framework of tanks and was still left safely in place in the back of the vans, i  cannot comment on other systems but these two were very good in these cases, both were fitted at facelift

AuRavelling79

« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2009, 12:10:03 am »
just to add my thoughts any crash testing is good, but we have crashed / wrote off two vans one  with 750ltr tank and one 1000ltr tank both near full, on both occasions th esystems only moved within the framework of tanks and was still left safely in place in the back of the vans, i  cannot comment on other systems but these two were very good in these cases, both were fitted at facelift

What sort of crash? Other vehicle involved?
It's a game of three halves!

George P

« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2009, 10:38:19 am »
gold - 1st crash approx 70mph into back off another van, wrote off 2 vans, 2nd was around 45mph into back of another van, our van wrote off but other van only slightly damaged, luckily no one injured in any of the 2 accidents

Robin Ray

« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2009, 01:58:24 pm »
gold - 1st crash approx 70mph into back off another van, wrote off 2 vans, 2nd was around 45mph into back of another van, our van wrote off but other van only slightly damaged, luckily no one injured in any of the 2 accidents

Sounds bad! I hope no one was hurt!

Just out of interest were the vehicles they hit stationary or moving?

Robin Ray

« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2009, 02:05:12 pm »
Sorry, you mentioned no one was hurt. :P

George P

« Reply #67 on: October 24, 2009, 03:10:04 pm »
the 70mph accident other vehicle was moving but the 45mph a/dent other vehicle stationary

matt

« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2009, 03:14:52 pm »
its all very well going on about a crash test at 30mph!! have they tested a crash at 70mph? NO they havent.
why waste the money crash testing it at 30, why not have the test at 70mph, then if it passes that, it would be safe in a 30mph crash.
also do lorries have cages built on their trailers and bolt each and every pallet everytime they go on the road?
what about the couriers that carry over a tonne in weight on 2 pallets in the back. are they bolted down?

Matt

both points i have raised in the past

if your going above 30 mph ( or the other vehicle is ) then you just have to hope for the best

builders carry around cement mixers in the bag of the van, various tools ( some sharp ) a pallet of bricks etc etc, they are never even tied down, let along a cage installed around them and fitted to the chassis