Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Prowler - would it be
« on: July 31, 2009, 07:00:35 am »
Prowler from the USA, FOR EXAMPLE FROM

www.amtexequipment.com Does not give a price.

I know over here after the suppliers have wacked on there profit etc its around £6000 sterlin.

Now I have friends in Texas, Huston that I could get them to buy it (I will send them the money of course) and they ship it over.

Would I actually save money do you think? I might give amtex a call next week. find out weight etc and speak to a friend in the carrier company in Huston. Dont forget it cheaper for the states to send over here than it is for us to send to them.

Dave

jasonl

Re: Prowler - would it be
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2009, 07:10:05 am »
I have looked at this ,,  I found that for me it was not viable ,, my brother lives in North carolina it would have been really easy to get one here, the UK dealers would not be happy I  dont think to offer warranty support, and the forex rates are not favourable at the minute. Tempting I know ,,  but sadly not viable.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 07:14:33 am »
Well I have just looked at the cost,

6,000.00 USD = 3,627.46 GBP

I know I can get it shipped over for under £350 I have had other stuff shipped from the states that ways over 80kg and only cost me £150.

So I cant see why its not viable - and sorry - I do not care about suppliers being happy...! Not all but are charging top wack because they know they can!

As for warranty! Most are useless at warranty! Warranty runs out when you need it most!

Dave

jasonl

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 07:22:50 am »
Add in import duty and VAT , then allow for 2 warranty issues paid for your self , and you could buy one in the uk.
I clean carpets
I dry Buildings

derek west

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 07:23:22 am »
don't forget import duties,  and don't forget, its a long way to send it back if you get a duffer.

i bought off hydramaster in cornwall, pump seals went in the first 3 months, they posted out next day (free) and i fitted them while they talked me through on the phone, its not all about price.

if your lucky you'll save money. "do you feel lucky punk? well! do ya" ;D

think you should ask the question, "how many people bought new machines and didn't have to use there warranty in the first year"?

derek

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 07:25:41 am »
Add in import duty and VAT , then allow for 2 warranty issues paid for your self , and you could buy one in the uk.

I will still look into it, as for the VAT we are VAT registered! But thanks for the import duties, I find out next week!

Cheers

Dave

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 07:27:58 am »
Good piont Derek!
Dave have you used a Prowler, the thought of blowing all that steam on customers new block paved drives would put me off, but then I would say that as I sell the new Phoenex  ;D

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 07:31:02 am »
Also is import tax on stuff bought! If it was a Present! a Gift does that still apply?

I will check on that!

Dave

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 07:34:35 am »
Dave to bring something that size into the UK would be like pushing a tturd uphill. trust me as Derek says if its a duffer its a long way to sent it back

John Kelly

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 08:16:10 am »
So I cant see why its not viable - and sorry - I do not care about suppliers being happy...! Not all but are charging top wack because they know they can!

Dave get your facts right before making statements like that.
We are currently selling the Prowler at £5599.
We don't get any discount from the manufacturer as he could just as easy sell them over there without all the hassle of palletising them up to ship over.
Purchase £3626.03
Shipping (air freight varies) £650-800
Currency transaction charge for buying with credit card £350
Water Tank £140
12 Volt Pump £100
Fitting and training free (half day)
TOTAL:£5016.03
Thats not not including import duty which is 1.5% or the fact we have to pay the vat up front.
Then we had to have them CE marked which cost nearly £1000
not to mention marketing costs.
Cheers Dave you've made me realise just what a loss leader this is and anyone thinking of buying one I would do so now because the price is going back up very soon.

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 08:28:08 am »
Nice reply John, if only things were as simple as they appear on the US sites.

Stu.Clem

« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2009, 09:05:51 am »
Trying to save a few quid will often bite you in the bum -  just ask Ricky T about his budget truckmount!  Also think about all those price shoppers you get calling looking for the cheapest pricewhat sort of service will they end up with? I have imported quite a few things across the pond in my time and calling something a gift will save you money if you get away with it - if not your goods can be seized and face prosecution the authorities are not stupid you know.  As with most suppliers - support your local dealer and they will in return support you....

Best wishes

Stu

Darren O

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2009, 09:29:11 am »
I got a cracking deal from ebay the company was american so i had to get it sent over it was a 10inch stair wand and a hydroforce sprayer it came to about £190 for both incl del but had to pay £30 tax over here at customs i priced them in the uk and it would of cost me over £400 saying that i would never buy a machine or a truckmount from america because at some point something will go wrong.

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009, 09:55:49 am »

Dave get your facts right before making statements like that.
We are currently selling the Prowler at £5599.
We don't get any discount from the manufacturer as he could just as easy sell them over there without all the hassle of palletising them up to ship over.
Purchase £3626.03
Shipping (air freight varies) £650-800
Currency transaction charge for buying with credit card £350
Water Tank £140
12 Volt Pump £100
Fitting and training free (half day)
TOTAL:£5016.03
Thats not not including import duty which is 1.5% or the fact we have to pay the vat up front.
Then we had to have them CE marked which cost nearly £1000
not to mention marketing costs.
Cheers Dave you've made me realise just what a loss leader this is and anyone thinking of buying one I would do so now because the price is going back up very soon.

Hi John,

I assume you must be a supplier. Sorry, I dont know who you are. Or what company you represent.

Firstly, when someone is trying to purchase they want to save money.

When you are selling, you want to get as much as possible. Thats business.

As for paying the VAT up front, We are VAT Registered and also have to pay the VAT at time of purchase on all purchases unless that item is exempt from VAT.

Also maybe people are not aware YOU would get the VAT BACK!!!! if you are VAT registered so thats is not a cost!

There are a number of cheaper ways to bring into the country - air frieght is the most expensive I think but the most quickest! Also depends on how quick you have it delivered. - I bring many thing into this country from the states. Motor parts, Shot Guns, Tropical plants to name but a few.. and I have brought heavey large items into this country, even car from the US. And a Prowler does not compre a pontiac firebird, Cadilac I go on as I have imported these over.

I understand you have overheads, what company does not!

As for warranty, half days training , fitting, come on, its all in the price and accounted for. It might not be added all to one machine but I am sure the cost is spread accross a set number. Just like any other company selling Nothing is Free. Its a business not a charity.

I support many companies, as do many people on here and those that do not even come to this forum.

I am also all for supporting our suppliers but as I ran a business I am looking to save money. If I managed to save £600 just because I got it imported. Not direct from a supplier such as yourselvs I would think that was a job well done. The £600 could go towards other costs of running a business. Maybe marketing!

For example, I have recently purchased a Rhino 500psi portable. Its not a market leader by no means. it only set me back £950 +vat Now I could have purchased a more expensive machine at £2500 and it would not have had the same PSI possibly. Just a brand name or possibly purchased from a more well known dealer.

But either way I have saved £1500 this allows me to put this funding against something else. Also my ROI is now less! Meaning I only have to do possible 5 jobs to get my money back instead of 10 jobs.

The post has hit a nerve! For that I appologise. it was not meant to upset people. I was looking into saving money.

Lets face it we all work to get by or improve quality of life or to buy a new jaguar, or other type of item. If i did not research the possiblility of saving money then I would be classed a "Stupid" and not very business minded to waste money is it? My business would not be where it is today. I am lucky I do not need to work 5 days a week, at most I only work 2 - 3 days a week and my wife works only 2 days. So we are pretty confortable. Thats because I have learnt to shop around. Not to waste money.

I have not said that you are not entitled to a profit. But lets face it, you dont palatise the product they do.

IMPORT TAX

1.5% ON 3600 is only £54.00 - not a great deal is it. But I know you have to make it look better on paper.

Credit card

Pay direct by CHAPS - WIRE TRANSFER AS ITS USA AND IS ONLY £25.00 - IT CAN BE DONE - NO SURCHARRGE THEN OF £350, but I am sure you are aware!!! ONly £25.00 regardless of amount being transfered

We know about money transfer costs! Some on this forum may not.

CE

CE Marking is the symbol The letters "CE" are the abbreviation of French phrase "Conformité Européene" which literally means "European Conformity". The term initially used was "EC Mark" and it was officially replaced by "CE Marking" in the Directive 93/68/EEC in 1993. "CE Marking" is now used in all EU official documents

Ok so it costs you £1000, I am not sure if it does, Is that a CE mark per machine?

I will also look into wether it is a requirement if it was shipped over by a Non distributor. I.E. Me. I could be wrong but I dont think its required. Yes its required by you as we are purchasing from you! And you must adhere to ALL THE RULES.

Anyway like I said, I am just looking inot it for now. Only to see if it is possible to save money. As for repairs I am quite machanically minded!

Also parts are avalable here, and buying them and replacing them is fairly easy! Time consuming but most of you suppliers are miles from me anyway!

Dave

iTS ALL ABOUT SAVING MONEY - Its not personal. Or directed at yourselves.

robert meldrum

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 11:03:31 am »
AHHH

Methiks we have a man of mystery here, a weaver of webs, there are a few other labels that might fit.

John Kelly

« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2009, 01:26:32 pm »
Dave, most of what you say is true. Airfreighting doesn't work out much more than shipping and you don't have to wait weeks. CE marking was for the model and not each machine. It was just your tone that implied we were making a killing which was annoying thats all.

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009, 01:32:55 pm »
John,

I know many suppliers are not making a killing now, we are finding it tough as well although we are doing well its still tough!

My only aim was to find the best deal possible. Not to anoy anyone for that I appologise.

Dave

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009, 01:33:50 pm »
Dave,
I think you might find that a supplier in the USA will not sell you a Prowler when there is a British distributor in place.
Also, you may save a few quid importing it yourself, but the one thing you will be missing out on is the excellent technical backup that you would have got if you'd purchased it through Restormate. John Kelly's in depth knowledge and long history of providing top notch customer service is something you cannot put a price on, especially when your machine breaks down and you need running again NOW. You only need your machine to be out of service for a day or two and you've lost everything you've saved.
Snubbing John at the purchasing stage and then relying on him to help you out when things go wrong might seem a little hard faced.

Simon

derek west

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009, 01:59:24 pm »
dave

if you do import a prowler, from the tone of this thread i'm guessing you'll have to import the parts if and when you need them. ;D
derek

gwrightson

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2009, 03:10:33 pm »
What I cant understand is Dave,s statment saying" I dont know who you are, or what company you represent"   
For somebody who has been a member of this forum for a reasonable length of time , providing almost 2 posts per day and somebody who quite obviously has a good look at at the options when purchasing equipment or chemicals  for your business , Why have you never heard of John or restormate ? I find that strange  :-\ especialy as any number of posts/replys have mentioned not only John/ Restormate and the prowler amongst numerous other items from John.
Imho , seems a load of hassle to even think about importing a prowler yourself for all the reasons already mentioned. I,m Sure John would be more than happy to supply giving you at least peace of mind if some thing goes wrong, surley , thats got to be worth a few extra quid!!

Geoff
who ever said dont knock before u try ,i never tried dog crap but i know i wouldnt like  haha