This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

claire

cleaning windows help
« on: August 19, 2003, 04:39:07 pm »
:-/
I had a plaster do some work on the outside of my house last week, and he has got plaster all over my new french windows.  He is coming back next to finish but in the mean time I would like to clean the windows.

I have tried a few thing but the plaster is not coming off. Does anyone have any ideas as to how tro get this off without marking the glass.

bjc27

Re: cleaning windows help
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2003, 11:40:57 pm »
have you tried just using the edge of a razor blade - it normally does not leave any marks if done carefully.

gibbouk

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 01:38:49 am »
plenty of water and a good razor scraper not a stanley blade one it will scratch. wte the window do a bit of scraping wash again repeat till the plaster has gone squegee of and detail the edges

clevs

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2006, 09:04:54 am »
go to b and q, buy yourself a stanley scraper there the best, wet the blade up, and watch it fall off your windows, ive been cleaning windows for ten years or so, and never scratched a window with these blades. Good luck

shammy davis jnr

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2006, 04:31:22 pm »
if you use hot water it softens the plaster  even if it has been on a while then scrape off with  scraper

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2006, 06:17:25 pm »
Claire,

Get yourself a window cleaner and stop being a tight-wad!

Ian_Giles

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2006, 06:45:24 pm »
I presume you are talking about the rendering on the outside, if the plasterer who did this has got your windows covered, don't clean them yourself, wait till he turns up and tell him to ensure they are cleaned correctly.

I'm sorry, but if was good, he would not have got your windows splattered in the first place.

Also; sand and cement rendering can cause serious scratching to glass and frames, if you clean them yourself and find the glass badly scratched then you will have a hard job proving it was the plasterer who screwed up in the first place as he will claim that the damage was caused by you scaping the windows.

Ensure the plasterer gets them cleaned, if they are scratched you can then claim on his insurance.
I do hope you haven't paid him yet ???

Best of luck..and tread carefully!

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

JohnL

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2006, 10:01:50 pm »
Tosh and Ian between them have got it just about right but others who say soak or wet the windows are correct up to a point BUT do not wipe the water over the glass because you are dragging any loosened sand and cement over it and you will scratch it.

You should insist the plasterer comes back immediately and corrects his faults, does not scratch the glass and ensures you are entirely satisfied when finished.

and Tosh is right, you will not do a good a job as a professional - employ a window cleaner once they are clear of muck.

JohnL 
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.