Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JandS

Re: Can it be done???
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2009, 05:57:53 pm »
What's all this about people not wanting carpets and upholstery cleaning in the evening.
Last year, up to Xmas I was dioing at least one evening a week and up to Nov 2 evenings a week.
Used to try and finish though for 2.30 ish in the afternoon or have the morning off and then work right through till 8 ish.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

Jim Gibbard

« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2009, 10:04:14 pm »
Colin,
I have always found your posts to come across as intelligent and polite.  You seem to like the cc industry - or why would you be on here ? 
You have a dilemma, good regular ( while it lasts ) well paid employment, turning up when they require you to and taking orders from a boss/supervisor person.  Going to the same premises 5 days a week ( or whatever ), possibly for the rest of your life. 

On the other hand, you have the chance to build a business for yourself and your family, doing something you obviously enjoy.  Work the hours to suit your lifestyle and family commitments, working in the knowledge that you are your own master and making your own decisions ( right or wrong ) . Standing on your own two feet and taking personal responsibility for your future.

Some people are cut out for self employment whereas some are not.  It is not easy, as I am sure most on this forum will agree.  There are good times and bad times in business, as in life in general.  I think if you really want to do something, you have to have, commitment, belief in yourself and a sense of satisfaction in what you are doing every day.

Colin, I believe if you were to poll the members of this forum on why they are cc's, many would say one of the biggest benefits of being in cc is the satisfaction they get from their chosen profession.  In my working life, I have been a mechanic, newsagent and carpet cleaner.  I have enjoyed them all.  But when I stopped enjoying them, I changed course.  I have never continued in a job I did not enjoy.  For the last 21 years I have been in carpet cleaning and to be honest, it has been my favourite job - the one with the most satisfaction.   My only regret, is that I did not start until I was 40.

It does take years to become established, if it was too easy, everyone would be doing it.  It does not sound as though you are desperate for the money?  If that is the case and you wish to make a go of it in cc, burn your bridges, commit totally and become proactive in your marketing.  Also, to pick up on an earlier point someone made, diversify !!
Don't spread yourself too thin on the ground, offer more cleaning services such as powerwashing.  Equipment costs are reasonable and returns are good.  Or perhaps work in conjunction with other cc's in your area to aim at commercial jobs occasionally.

You have had lots of good advice on this forum, it is up to you to decide what is best for and suited to you.

IF IT'S GOT TO BE, IT'S UP TO ME!!!

Best of luck Colin in whatever is your destiny.

Regards,
Jim
www.spic-n-span.co.uk
Cleaning is our Game - Excellence is our Aim !!!

Pureandclean

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2009, 01:08:02 pm »
Slightly different way of looking at this is :-

Employ a technician to do the carpet cleaning during the day, and you go out and do the surveys and pricing up at night time.

This would enable you to take on the Aircraft fitting job and keep developing the business.