This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dd

Re: Building your own system
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2009, 06:29:26 pm »
Don't go for a merlin, water tds a little higher than other ROs and waste ratio is very high - which is a factor if you are or will be on a water meter.

Ro-man 300gpd unit is cheap and works well. If you are only running one van and use a 1000 litre static system (e.g. in garage) you should have no problem.

IMO Dispatch style van with 900kg payload is good because you can fit it with a 600 litre tank and can fit your poles inside.

Go for coloured water tanks as opposed to clear ones to prevent algae build up (though less of a factor if you work with van doors closed and static tank is not exposed to daylight).

traps7

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2009, 06:44:01 pm »
Ok I'm thinking of having 300 litres in the van maximum with 1000 litres static at home. After searching and speaking to people I think this will be adequate. I like that Gaps site. Think I might give them a ring. I just hate speaking to people on the phone. It just looks a lot simpler to have one big ro membrane than say 3 little ones. Less connections, changes etc. But maybe I'm wrong. I think though I need to know how much in litres or uk gallons I need it to comfortably produce a day to keep my static tank filled if say I was using 300 litres a day.

Window Washers

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2009, 06:50:32 pm »
Ok I'm thinking of having 300 litres in the van maximum with 1000 litres static at home. After searching and speaking to people I think this will be adequate. I like that Gaps site. Think I might give them a ring. I just hate speaking to people on the phone. It just looks a lot simpler to have one big ro membrane than say 3 little ones. Less connections, changes etc. But maybe I'm wrong. I think though I need to know how much in litres or uk gallons I need it to comfortably produce a day to keep my static tank filled if say I was using 300 litres a day.
I personally do not think 300l is big enough tank I would say 500 min 650 if you get a tranist or simalar, We use about 350/400 a day per van on a normal days work new cleans we can drain the 650l and also commercial work is also nearing 600l of water, it is better to have to much that to little as to little will cost you money, that goes back to what I said buy wrong buy twice
If your not willing to learn, No one can help you, If you are determined to learn, No one can stop you ;)

kenaltobelli

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2009, 07:17:00 pm »
traps 7 after yesterday there is no way i would give you good advice
hope to see you in champs we are bringing our own ref this time ;)

traps7

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2009, 07:19:34 pm »
I'm only on my own though and I'm thinking even if I did expand from a 300 litre and need a 500 litre tank, I think I could just come under the weight limit of say Vauxhall Combo (800kg max), operator, tools etc included and it would just be a case of fitting a new tank. I can't realistically see me expanding in regards to employees in the near future. And to be honest I don't know if I even want to. Also considering what was said earlier about parking etc in cul-de-sacs I think a Transit size van would be too much for me and for a newish one a lot dearer. VW Transporter would be nice but I can't afford a new enough one. I was thinking something like a three grand 05 plate Combo as a guestimate. At the moment I probably do something between 10-15 average size houses a day. Anyone else with similar work load think 300 litres would be enough? My work is close so at worst I could pop home for a refill if I occasionally went over, although I wouldn't want to make a habit of it. Someone else said about running the van tank through another di vessel so worst case you could fill up on site or have I misunderstood that bit?

traps7

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2009, 07:21:29 pm »
traps 7 after yesterday there is no way i would give you good advice
hope to see you in champs we are bringing our own ref this time ;)

Yeh you took a beating LOL but I think you may have the last laugh come May. 18 All.

kenaltobelli

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2009, 07:25:29 pm »
not if we lose form like when overmares scored or when forest beat us or when ian rush even started scoring im going to shut up now time to pray

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2009, 07:40:00 pm »
Tank size: Plan for your busiest day. You can always just half fill the tank on the other days, but if you go too small to start with and run out during a big job, you'll have to travel all the way home for a refill. Personally I'd recommend a 650 litre tank for a 1 man operation.

Reverse osmosis: Merlins are good IF you have decent water pressure, and IF you aren't on a water meter. Below 50psi they don't work as well, and the output TDS will rise rapidly, and the waste water ratio is VERY high on a Merlin,.. often 4 parts waste to 1 part pure. If you have low water pressure, a 20" RO with a low pressure membrane might be a better option. Arthur at surecleansystems.com is the man to talk to as he sells both, as well as many other RO's.

matt

« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2009, 08:02:48 pm »
pop over to the DIY WFP site / forum

e.mail for a link

diywfplink@yahoo.co.uk

my opinion ( and its been said many time by others in the past ) its easy to over buy ( be oversold ) and RO unit, you can allways upgrade a RO unit by adding another membrane, i use a 100 GPD RO unit and its fine, it runs 24 hours a day, you say you will have a 1000 L tank at home, thats 3 days water stored in the tank right from the word go, add to that water stored in your van tank, you will need your RO running 24 / 7 into that 1000 L tank, but thats not a issue, as i said, if you find your running short on water, add another membrane ( thus 200 L per day ), you could start off with a 200 or 300 GPD unit though and just let it run, so you will start the week with the van tank and home tank full

i have a 400 L tank in my van, and thats overkill ( its never got more than 300 L in it )

if i use 250 L a day i know ive earnt more than i aim to, normally 150 - 200 L a day is amount that leave my brush

its easy to get into the splash your water around and have the pump hammering away on full, why, really no need to have that much water used, so why use it ? ? ?

ftp

« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2009, 08:03:17 pm »
Traps your practically there, 500l would be a good compromise in the van. I have 650 and haven't drained it yet (come close though). Despatch has 900kg load if it's an HDI, less if it's the normal turbo. Latest models carry even more.
DIY is laughably easy if you have a pinch of common sense. The only tricky bit is securing the tank to the chassis. Personally i'd go for a lay flat tank for diy or an upright if it was a pro installation, try and find a van with a steel bulkhead too. As for poles - buy the best you can possibly afford because that's your main tool.
300gpd is plenty for a sole trader and if your tap pressure is good you can run it through the night with no booster pump - you'll never need to produce water faster on your own so a 4040 is overkill but fine if you want it.
I wouldn't bother with a split relay if your round is compact - just charge the battery overnight.

Which town are you from?

traps7

« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2009, 08:30:03 pm »
ftp I'm in Weston super Mare. So how do I find out my mains pressure? I was hoping that I could avoid a booster pump by just leaving it connected pretty much permanently with some sort of auto shut off or solenoid. Would that make sense?
And is a split relay for charging via the alternator? Why bother bringing a battery in every night when it could charge while the vehicle one is, or am I missing something?
Questions, questions.... I feel like Johnny 5 out of that film Short Circuit. Anyone see that? ...Input, Input.
I think my heads gonna explode soon!
Looking on the bright side, at least I can still clean trad until its all 100% installed and working. I don't suppose you need to switch overnight.

ftp

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2009, 08:44:19 pm »
I charge my battery in the van via a charger and extension lead. If your round is really compact you might not do the mileage to keep both batteries fully chaged (van and pump). Auto shut off can be fitted to your static dead easy. You need a guage to test your pressure. Gardiners lent me one when i started up (didn't buy a system from them but do purchase their poles) they are always very helpful. Your booster pump could always be purchased at a later date if you wanted. Most ro units come with a built in guage. Higher the pressure the more efficient your ro will be with lower tds generally speaking. Lower tds of course means your polishing resin will last longer too.

martindrz400

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2009, 10:27:36 pm »
matt have to agree with you i have 500ltr tank in van and rarely use it all, if your prices are right and dont have your pump to high then you will earn good money, its all experiance 9yrs wfp

blinky

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2009, 11:57:56 pm »
trapps
Talk to aurther in sure clean
good bloke and will not see you wrong.
only bought my full system off him about 1.5 months ago :) :) :)

mark dew

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2009, 08:59:12 am »
ftp I'm in Weston super Mare. So how do I find out my mains pressure? I was hoping that I could avoid a booster pump by just leaving it connected pretty much permanently with some sort of auto shut off or solenoid. Would that make sense?

Yes you can avoid a booster pump. But having one will be of great benefit.
It will almost double production time and the booster on my 300gpd gets me a tds of 7 before DI vessel. Without the booster my ro produces water at 28.
A booster pump is beneficial, but not essential.

steve m

« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2009, 02:02:54 pm »
I built my own system into a vauxhall combo. Firstly the van. If you get the 1.7ltr diesel your payload is 600kg. If you get the 1300 diesel the payload is 1743kg.(thats the only difference, it wont affect the road tax ). In that van I put a 400ltr lay flat tank, which I bought from a place in hoddesdon. I bought the pump from ebay along with the microbore. I used hozelok hose trolleys and a 24' pole from gardiner poles. On the pole I had a trigger from kirby's(great triggers but the return springs keep breaking, and at 14.00 a set its a bit expensive). I bought my ro system from ro-man (4 stage + di ) and that pumps into a 1000ltr static tank that I bought from a place in bicester and they will deliver all round the country. This system used to do 10 -12 large 4 bed houses with conservatories and still have a hundred litres left.
   I made a fair few mistakes- buying 1/2 inch hose that weighs a ton when its got water in ( most of the time ).I wouldnt have hozelok trollies, I would have gone for the metal ones, easier to rewind and the things stay in one piece). Hope this helps some. Any questions you can ring me on 07786  523226

traps7

« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2009, 07:01:36 pm »

Yes you can avoid a booster pump. But having one will be of great benefit.
It will almost double production time and the booster on my 300gpd gets me a tds of 7 before DI vessel. Without the booster my ro produces water at 28.
A booster pump is beneficial, but not essential.
Oh right, thanks.  I didn't know it made a difference to tds reading. I just wanted to save on buying a pump and the running costs.

traps7

« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2009, 07:05:43 pm »
I just want to get the expensive bits right for me personally. i.e. van, ro unit, and tank sizes. Thanks for all your help guys.

dd

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2009, 07:15:59 pm »
pop over to the DIY WFP site / forum

e.mail for a link

diywfplink@yahoo.co.uk

my opinion ( and its been said many time by others in the past ) its easy to over buy ( be oversold ) and RO unit, you can allways upgrade a RO unit by adding another membrane, i use a 100 GPD RO unit and its fine, it runs 24 hours a day, you say you will have a 1000 L tank at home, thats 3 days water stored in the tank right from the word go, add to that water stored in your van tank, you will need your RO running 24 / 7 into that 1000 L tank, but thats not a issue, as i said, if you find your running short on water, add another membrane ( thus 200 L per day ), you could start off with a 200 or 300 GPD unit though and just let it run, so you will start the week with the van tank and home tank full

i have a 400 L tank in my van, and thats overkill ( its never got more than 300 L in it )

if i use 250 L a day i know ive earnt more than i aim to, normally 150 - 200 L a day is amount that leave my brush

its easy to get into the splash your water around and have the pump hammering away on full, why, really no need to have that much water used, so why use it ? ? ?

Matt, do you wfp downstairs windows or do them trad?