Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tosh

I've been cleaning her windows for seven years too! >:(

So this guy is doing a £6 for any house, monthly or one-off, and the house I lost was a big 3 bed semi with sash windows and a small conservatory (or is a large glass porch?); awkward access too.  I'm not bothered about the loss, the house was underpriced.

But the new window cleaner is obviously a bright lad whose details I have erased to protect his identity; but it's something when you find a window cleaner whose so thick that even his fellow window cleaners realise!

I've tried to talk Wor Lass into letting us have him as our window cleaner; hell I would pay someone £6 to clean my windows for a laugh; but she's refusing!

Art

Re: Can you believe I lost an underpriced £10 customer to this leaflet...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 02:07:14 pm »
I'd be happy with that Tosh. When he disappears or does a crap job and she phones you to come back you'll have the satisfaction of saying no or putting the price up  ;)

Arthur

Dale Smith

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 02:07:23 pm »
No point competing with a guy like that, let him get on with it....... he wont last long when he realises how much work he has to do to make it pay.... they never do...
Swindon, Wiltshire.

Tosh

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 02:14:35 pm »
I understand the issues, I've even read other people's posts on this forum when it's happened to them; and it does make me smile from a perverse point of view.

I've just sent the lad a text saying he ought to post these leaflets round an area that's in desperate need of a good window cleaner.

It's one of Squeaky's main areas; though I doubt he could beat Squeaks on price.

;D

jeff1

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2009, 02:14:40 pm »
Maybe its to top his dole money up? £6 buys a packet of smokes or a few pints.

He won't be around long Tosh.

Tosh

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2009, 02:17:11 pm »
tosh, is this in chepstow?

i havnt some accross this guy yet.
Is he a new guy on the scene?

Richy, yes, it was in Bulwark Avenue; I don't know who it is either.  Looking at the leaflet (that a customer gave to me) it's been printed from a computer and the colour ink was running low.  That indicates to me that he hasn't ran a large number of these off; you can't print off 5000 of them from a home printer; not feaseably, and all my other customers in this area have been fine.

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2009, 02:54:25 pm »

I've just sent the lad a text saying he ought to post these leaflets round an area that's in desperate need of a good window cleaner.

It's one of Squeaky's main areas; though I doubt he could beat Squeaks on price.

;D

I reckon Squeaky'll leave you something in his will the way you two go on  ;D

Anyway, so your saying you reckon that the guy ought to pop round where Squeaky works

So you reckon Rogers custys havent got a good window-cleaner?  ;D  :o

trevor perry

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2009, 03:39:22 pm »
i think we will get more and more of these they are ones who have probably been made redundant and used to working for about £7 an hour if he gets through two an hour probably thinks hes on a good thing.
better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove any doubt

matt

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 04:15:31 pm »
i think we will get more and more of these they are ones who have probably been made redundant and used to working for about £7 an hour if he gets through two an hour probably thinks hes on a good thing.

exactly

from 7 quid a hour to 15 quid a hour ( even with over heads ) they will still think they are onto a good thing

martinsadie

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2009, 04:21:30 pm »
and there will be even more when he tells his mates  ;D ;D

Tosh

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2009, 04:38:32 pm »
Do you know what bugs me the most about this advertising sheet; on my original flyer when I first started up seven-years-ago (I know, I know; I'm still wet behind the ears), I used EXACTLY the same picture of the cartoon window cleaner on my leaflets.

But at least my leaflets were grammatically correct and I was bright enough not to stick a price on them!

Do you think I should phone the guy and offer him some help?  Or should I just let him struggle on?

luther1

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2009, 05:00:12 pm »
Let the loser struggle.The most amateur leaflet i've ever seen.I'm sure the customer will love his service(mates rates) . Pikeys.

SteveAllan

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2009, 05:09:34 pm »
Do you guys think the simplier style leaflet (but better than above) is the way to go for the UK, its just that i have seen some of the snazzy ones that Kev Dubrosky uses and i am not convinced they will work in the uk. Whats your thoughts guys?

Tosh

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2009, 05:18:17 pm »
Steve,

You're right; I don't think the 'snazzy' leaflets work with window cleaning either.  Last year I leafleted a posh area with a downmarket leaflet and had a good response from them; then later after I had some plush-shiny leaflets made I leafleted the same area again; and many other places and the response was lot poorer.

luther1

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2009, 05:25:02 pm »
I agree.A customer gave me a flyer  recently that was put through her door,the chav also did 'exterior property rejuvenation'  as well as 'careful interior window cleaning'bless him, and it was too complicated.I think keeping it simple yet professional is the key.

matt

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2009, 05:41:32 pm »
once again

window cleaning was traditionally a fairly low paid / skilled job, the stan ogdan type of person would do it

this flyer is just that, do people want the uniformed guy sat in his 16 K shiney van with a fancy pants hot water system ? ? ?  or do they want a honest average joe type of bloke who will do a nice enough job for far less money, he might drive a old banger , he might wear jeans

has the bubble burst ? ?  ?

will we have to adapt and change with the times ( which will mean none of these silly prices that we have heard about ? ? ?

matt

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2009, 06:56:13 pm »
Your going to have to work a lot harder to get your 500 day matt with 6 quid a house!

;D ;D havent you heard, the new amount to aim for is 750 a day

500 quid was soooooooooooo last year  ;)

Jason Atwell

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2009, 07:04:30 pm »
once again

window cleaning was traditionally a fairly low paid / skilled job, the stan ogdan type of person would do it

this flyer is just that, do people want the uniformed guy sat in his 16 K shiney van with a fancy pants hot water system ? ? ?  or do they want a honest average joe type of bloke who will do a nice enough job for far less money, he might drive a old banger , he might wear jeans

will we have to adapt and change with the times ( which will mean none of these silly prices that we have heard about ? ? ?

I think like with most things, there is a middle ground, some where in between the 'stan ogden' type and the super dupa charge a fortune w/c, and i think thats where most of us are!
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

Lee Pryor

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2009, 07:16:43 pm »
follow him home and slash his tyres during the night, on those wages you bet he cant afford new ones lol!!!!!!!!!!

only kidding.......or am I?
The best way to predict the future is to create it.

Chameleon

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2009, 08:06:36 pm »
 ;D Nothing wrong with jeans, I've had mine for about 6 years now!
Where I've worn holes in them I just spray my legs blue, seems to work for me! ;D ::)

Tosh

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2009, 08:30:49 pm »
Do you think I should phone the guy and offer him some help?  Or should I just let him struggle on?

wouldnt think he could pay you much at £6 a house  ;D ;D ;D

That's quite funny for you, Stan!

;D

mikethechamois

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2009, 08:32:57 pm »

wouldnt think he could pay you much at £6 a house  ;D ;D ;D

;D ;D ;D

luther1

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2009, 08:33:30 pm »
Ring the tool up and tell him that your house is the size of Buckingham Palace and see if he wants to clean the gutters and free window clean for £30,the chancer.

johnny_h

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2009, 10:07:03 am »
could many of us survive long term doing houses at £6 a time ? i couldnt and if hes starting up from scratch he will soon realsise this and either disapear or put the prices up if she does call back bang the price up i wouldnt take her back out of principle
AUDI VIDE TACE

matt

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2009, 10:21:20 am »
once again

I think like with most things, there is a middle ground, some where in between the 'stan ogden' type and the super dupa charge a fortune w/c, and i think thats where most of us are!

oh i agree 100 %

and i just hope they will survive, as im sat firming in that camp

seandyer2003

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2009, 10:30:13 am »
Ring the tool up and tell him that your house is the size of Buckingham Palace and see if he wants to clean the gutters and free window clean for £30,the chancer.

I reckon he would remember leafleting buckingham palace :)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2009, 12:05:40 pm »
Why not offer him a job Tosh? Pay him £6 a house ... sorted!
It's a game of three halves!