This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Pristine_Cleaning

Number of Cleaners Needed?
« on: March 16, 2005, 05:48:21 pm »
Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there is any general calculation that can be used to calculate the number of cleaners needed per number of staff in an office.

For example if you are cleaning an office that has 100 staff, you will need 2 Cleaners for 1 Hour.  that kind of thing.

Someone did tell me that there is a number of cleaning staff needed per square metre of office space.

Anyone heard of this ?

Thanks

John
John Byrne
Pristine Cleaning

Mike_Boxall

Re: Number of Cleaners Needed?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 06:06:40 pm »
Hi John

There are productivity rates produced by BICS that gives average cleaning times in square metres per hour in office enviroments. I'll dig them out for you.

As far as how it relates to the number of staff then I guess you would need to know the average space per workstation. All the figures will be approximate and could be affected by a number of other factors.

Leave it with me

Mike

Tim Downer

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 09:06:10 pm »
John

Depends if you want 1 cleaner to work 10 hours or 5 cleaners to work 2 hours each.....!!

But it is a very interesting question and am looking forward to hearing what the result is from Mike and others

Regards

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

"The difference between Ordinary and Extraordinary.....is that little Extra"

CMS

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 07:04:38 am »
Would that be 100 employees in a small building or 5 employees in a massive building?

Trust me - it doesn't work. The only true way is to 'eyeball it' and say "It would take me X amount of hours to clean this".

Tim Downer

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 07:15:14 am »
I am interested in what the formula is....but i must admit that i tend to agree with CMS in that you cannot beat the experience in the office cleaning industry in applying that knowledge to working out how long and how many cleaners by looking around the building first.
You may have 100,000 sq.m of office space. 1 Office has 100 desks and 10 sets of toilets and the other identical office has on 40 desks, 4 sets of toilets and a warehouse space to be cleaned!!!

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

Mike_Boxall

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 09:34:19 am »
I don't disagree with any of the comments given however BICS have produced figures which can be used as a 'starting point'. They accept themselves that is is subject to the density of the rooms, traffic flow within areas, client expectations, included tasks, etc but it's as close a figure as you're likely to get.

For office areas the productivity rate they quote is 4000 sq ft an hour whereas for washrooms this comes down to 1000 sq ft an hour. Other areas in office buildings such as corridors, reception areas have their own rates but overall the average comes out at 3333 sq ft an hour.

When I've quoted figures like this before I've had replies saying 'yes but I have an office........'. YOU HAVE TO USE COMMON SENSE but these figures are a good starting point.

As Tim said, the actually number of cleaners is entirely down to you. Most contractors would argue that it is better to have more cleaners on fewer hours so it's easier to cover absence and for every 10 cleaners there is likley to be one supervisor.

Overall, experience is obviously the best method, but these figures have been put together by people who know their stuff.

You can buy 'A guide to standards, specifications, and productivity rates' from BICS.

Hope this helps

Regards

Mike

DP

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 05:01:30 pm »
By example:
We do a morning clean in a 3 floor building of 100 staff that has 9 sets of toilets housing 49 cubicles, 22 urinals and 39 hand basins

Talk about spoilt for choice. Don’t think any formula would work for this one, however might be interesting to see if the sq ft one does.

The girl is assigned 3 hours for all the toilet area's (inc floors), but often achieves it in 2.5hrs. I will measure up on my next visit.
Everyone seems normal untill you get to know them!

Pristine_Cleaning

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 01:28:49 pm »
Hello,

Thanks to everyone for their input,  I do understand that there is no real formula that you can work to that will give you the right staff and the exact amount of time that it will take.

Its just a starting point that I need at the moment and I thought if there was a formula out there I could start with that.

I have done a quote recently and after looking at the building I have estiimated the following, let me know what you think

Office Building, 2 Floors, 90 Staff, All Carpeted, 2 Offices, 1 Meeting Room, Toilets on each floor, 1 Reception area. 1 Kitchen
I have estimated 2 Cleaners 4 hours to clean it all, vacuum, dust, Clean Toilets, empty bins, collect and clean cups etc..

What do you think of that?

Thanks

John
John Byrne
Pristine Cleaning

Tim Downer

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 03:21:35 pm »
John
I work in an office where there are around 75 staff (the sister company to the cleaning company i work for) and there are toilets on both floors with a reception area...no canteen but 3 small kitchen areas, all carpetted throughout. The in-house cleaner is away and it takes me 2 hours to do the cleaning. I don't have to wash up as we have dishwashers in each kitchen.
Mind you, being the cleaning Manager i do go through like lightening!! (obviously i do not miss anything out  ::) )
You may find your 2 cleaners in there for 4 hours a bit overestimated. They may be finished within 2 1/2 - 3 hours.

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

Pristine_Cleaning

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 07:57:40 pm »
Tim,

Thanks for this its good to hear this kind of information.  I suppose its something that I can amend for the client as time goes by.  This will be my first contract if Im successful winning it.

thanks to all again.

John
John Byrne
Pristine Cleaning

Tim Downer

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 09:57:38 pm »
Thanx John

If the customer is a bit hesitant on the pricing, you could say that you will try it for say 8 weeks or so, and if the cleaning gets done quicker than anticipated, you can ammend the bill slightly.

Tim
Tim Downer
Manager

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 11:24:24 pm »
What about if you had a town centre Office Building aprox 2000 square feet with Eight staff.

Would this take ten minutes or 45 minitues.

garyj

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 06:02:34 pm »
You'd have to have a minimum of anhour, otherwise it's not worth doing. Also a minimum monthly charge, you still have to produce all the neccessary documentation and goaround to check it.

Pristine_Cleaning

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2005, 07:37:23 pm »
Tim,

Good Idea, They did mention that they may trial the new company if they change so if it is me I can say that the pricing and timings can be changed to suit if need be.

I will keep this thread informed as I get closer to closing the deal.

Cheers

John
John Byrne
Pristine Cleaning