This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

davids3511

To dump or not to dump?
« on: January 13, 2009, 08:06:36 pm »
Ok, I have this elderly customer I pickedup up about 6 months ago from a leaflet drop. She asked me to do them as she just didn't 'trust' her old guy. He tried to put the price up from £8.00 to £10.00 and she took that oppertunity to dump him and go with me for £12.00.

Now, everything was fine for about 5 cleans and then the messing began. First time she came out and said she had people coming to visit that afternoon and she didn't want them done. I went away (in a mood).

Second time I rang night before, she couldn't have them done next day, I needed to come 4 days later on the Thursday, so I did (cue another mood).

Last time I turned up as ringing night before wasn't very productive and again out she came and said you can't do them today I am going out, can you come back on friday. No I said (finally had enough), I cannot come back on Thursday as I won't be in this area. I will not be coming back at all as this arrangment is not working out. This time SHE was in the mood and really couldn't understand why I was sick of wasting time turning up only to be sent away. Anyway, it turned out that she didn't want me to do them because she didn't have the cash on her and didn't use cheques. I said no problem, I will collect from you next time so I did them and expected things to be ok from now on.

Tonight

'hello mrs x, I will be coming tomorrow to clean your windows.',

'Oh, erm, can you do them in this weather, it hasn't been vey good',

'Yes, I haven't lost any time this week so far and it looks like no rain tomorrow according to weatherforecast'

'oh, ok then I suppose it is ok.'

I know she agreed tonight but I am just sick of this with her. The only thing stopping me is the current economic climate. My wife says 'dump or it will end in tears'. Would you dump or keep?

wightsurf

Re: To dump or not to dump?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 08:17:15 pm »
Give her the option of accepting your terms, and explain the cost involved in turning up to be turned away. I tell mine they will still be charged if they cancel when i turn up (thats is pain in the butt ones)

ftp

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 08:18:05 pm »
Dump.

windowswashed

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 08:18:32 pm »
If you resent doing a job because of awkward customer...dump it. No point depressing yourself over an awkward customer, replace her with a better one.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2009, 08:19:29 pm »
I would have dumped before it got this far.
Such customers are very high maintenance and take up too much headspace for my taste.  If they are larger jobs I may let a little more go but even then, customers who mess about can be a drain on the business.  If you have gaps in your workload, ity may be possible to put up with it until those gaps are filled but otherwise it can just be a pain IMO.

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 08:21:10 pm »
I agonise over this too.

It's a business. The business books say that while the customer is always right, the worst of your customers cost you money.

ftp

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 08:22:46 pm »
I get these too. What happens is you'll get so wound up in the end that you'll start turning up later and later because they spoil your day. I've got one exactly the same - so she won't be seeing me again.
She started off as a sweet old biddy then it started - "oh would you mind painting that black waste pipe for me?" (i did - for nothing). Then it was " when did you come last?" six weeks ago.
"then make it eight weeks" then it went to ten weeks. Backed my van up last time "not today i've got friends coming round - come back next year" She was due just after Christmas.
These people are always the ones who had a cleaner but "didn't like him" or "he stopped coming".

chrisyg

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 08:23:31 pm »
If you resent doing a job because of awkward customer...dump it. No point depressing yourself over an awkward customer, replace her with a better one.

Take her off the regular clean schedule, advise she is now a "as and when" customer and tell her why , let her know she has to phone you and you price it as a one off

That way, no messing about, you only turn up when she wants them done, and she pays the one off fee.

Might be an idea to get the money owed before you tell her..LOL

Alternatively, dump. Dont get dragged into being messed about.

davids3511

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 08:29:17 pm »
Typing it all out made up my mind. I will do them tomorrow, collect what is owed and that's it. She will never see me again. She just winds me up too much and I hate going now.

peter holley

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2009, 08:33:48 pm »

Take her off the regular clean schedule, advise she is now a "as and when" customer and tell her why , let her know she has to phone you and you price it as a one off

That way, no messing about, you only turn up when she wants them done, and she pays the one off fee.

Might be an idea to get the money owed before you tell her..LOL

Alternatively, dump. Dont get dragged into being messed about.

good advice ;)

elite mike

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2009, 08:39:40 pm »
Typing it all out made up my mind. I will do them tomorrow, collect what is owed and that's it. She will never see me again. She just winds me up too much and I hate going now.

good luck

hope you get your money,custys like that are a complete  waste of time ::)

mike

Klean07

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 08:20:15 am »
She would be dumped in my opinion. Life is too short to worry about people like her. Besides business is business.
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2009, 08:30:16 am »
i would give 2 options

1, you will clean regular no call (unless access issue)
2, clean only when she phones at a one-off clean price as said before.

option one I would say you have already said not today can you do them another day three times, we cannnot keep you on are books like this as we have wages and running costs for our business and need regular paying customers to be able to do this, I have no problems cleaning your windows regular but you have to follow are terms of service.

Now she will either fall in line or spit her chips out, her choice.
My heart would tell me to dump her, but mind would say to give her a final chance.

Ian

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2009, 08:55:00 am »
Dump.

I dumped a £30.00 office yesterday as the 2nd out of the last 4 visits one of the office girls came out to tell me not to bother; she didnt think they needed doing (again!)

williamx

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2009, 11:17:35 am »
Dump.

I dumped a £30.00 office yesterday as the 2nd out of the last 4 visits one of the office girls came out to tell me not to bother; she didnt think they needed doing (again!)

I think you are wrong on this, because they might be feeling the credit crunch, instead, I would have offered her a bi-monthly clean at £45.

That way they get clean windows and save money, I would also attached a cancellation charge of 50% if they cancel again, put it on paper and get the manager to sign it.

As for the "old Lady" well I work my round to fit around my customers lifestyles, so when I telephone the night before and they say not tommorow, I ask why?, you will find that they might be going to the doctors/hospital or where-ever but it might not be until 11.00hrs, so I say I will put her 1st on the list and be there for 10.00hrs, or I ask when they will be back and fit them in then.

I have found it works a treat, yes you do get some missed work, but its very rare, that it happens all the time from the same customer.

Also remember a lot of the elderly do not like anything done, unless they have the money to hand, thats why a lot will sit in a cold house in winter, rather than turn that perfectly working fire on.

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2009, 12:08:44 pm »
Dump.

I think you are wrong on this, because they might be feeling the credit crunch, instead, I would have offered her a bi-monthly clean at £45.

That way they get clean windows and save money, I would also attached a cancellation charge of 50% if they cancel again, put it on paper and get the manager to sign it.

As for the "old Lady" well I work my round to fit around my customers lifestyles, so when I telephone the night before and they say not tommorow, I ask why?, you will find that they might be going to the doctors/hospital or where-ever but it might not be until 11.00hrs, so I say I will put her 1st on the list and be there for 10.00hrs, or I ask when they will be back and fit them in then.

I have found it works a treat, yes you do get some missed work, but its very rare, that it happens all the time from the same customer.

Also remember a lot of the elderly do not like anything done, unless they have the money to hand, thats why a lot will sit in a cold house in winter, rather than turn that perfectly working fire on.

She said they didnt need doing, I hadnt been for 8 weeks; theyre on a main road, they were minging.

ALSO like I said its not the first time in the last few months.

She's new there, ever since she started Ive had the impression with her that shes trying to stamp her authority, make a statement.

It wasnt about the windows, its her and her position/power in the company, Im not her play thing.

williamx

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2009, 12:10:17 pm »
And the first impression is to try and reduce costs.

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2009, 12:14:47 pm »
She wants to play games, theyre going to need a different mug for that game Im afraid. William, you cant comment, you havent met her.

williamx

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2009, 12:16:55 pm »
Just trying to find the middle way.

Tosh

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2009, 02:57:01 pm »
She wants to play games, theyre going to need a different mug for that game Im afraid.

Pass her onto Squeaks.  He's quite happy to take that sort of abuse from his customers.