Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

richy27

hope i am not the only one
« on: January 07, 2009, 01:51:18 pm »
Not much work on at moment being newbie so its on with marketting. Any one elses front room converted into storage pen for the gear mrs is goin nuts.

JandS

Re: hope i am not the only one
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 02:05:14 pm »
All in garage but nothimg on till Friday.
I still have £650 of window cleaning work which I usually use to fill the gaps but the weather is sh*te here, cold and drizzle with a cold wind so that's out as well.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 02:21:35 pm »
A few oven cleans, a nursery and some outstanding insurance work to be completed...

The oven cleaning is taking over to be honest, I haven't even started to market it yet because the van is getting me plenty of work!

Horrible job though, but it pays the bills.... ;)

Colin...

clinton

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 02:59:48 pm »
As newbies your doing the  right thing doing more than just c cleaning :)

I used to have a small vending round so i used to collect and empty once a week as i had been only doing c cleaning for 5 years :)

Got some stuff in the garage and in shed and some new chemicals in the the kitchen spare room :)

Got my bike wrapped up too ;)

Anyone getting nagged ???

M.Acorn

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 03:20:28 pm »
All my gear sits in the corner of the kitchen ,bit too late now though,did have work booked for this week,but have re scheduled it for next werek now due to not being able to get the parts to fix the machine  :(..Used to do oven cleaning when the wife ran a domestic cleaning business,but used to hate doing them,my bro in law once got oven cleaner all over some solid wood work tops and completly ruined them,that`s why they got me to do them,being an ex chef i was used to it.Used stuff made by a company called clover leaf,Vanquish i think,kills when you get it on skin !

Good news today though van flew through it`s mot,so one less thing to worry about now !
Wish i had a garage
What goes around comes around

JandS

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 03:50:22 pm »
Saw an oven cleaner just before Xmas next door to where I was working.
He had a bath type thing heating water and I presume chemicals and was hand scrubbing the bits and pieces that come with an oven at the back of his van. Looked a dirty job .
What do they normally charge for a bog standard 4 hob + oven?

John

derek west

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 03:56:18 pm »
i went in to clean carpets just after an oven clean, he was there for 3 hours and charged £50, not sure if this is the norm?.
customer was happy too.

M.Acorn

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 04:01:05 pm »
That will be an acid bath ! had one in the pub i worked at,very good bit of kit .I used to charge £50 but that`s going back a few years now.
Best tool i found for getting glass doors clean and most of the bottom and sides,was a window cleaners blade type thing in a holder,much better that getting nasty chemicals everywhere !
Used to do a reg 1 in cambridge,but the blokes very young son always took to much interest in what i was doing,had to tell custy several times to keep him out the way due to the chems i was using,he always came back a few mins later though,had to stop doing that one as it`s too risky having kids around those chems
What goes around comes around

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 04:13:28 pm »
Only 3 jobs for next week :-[

Phones off the hook though,.....with advertising sales calls and the sub continent silence calls.

Nothing from my mailings as yet.

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 04:27:43 pm »
Looks like a week of lie-ins next week with only 3 jobs booked in so far. Yippee! And plenty of time to catch up on other things nothing to do with carpet cleaning.

Keep my gear in my cellars-plenty of room down there to do rug cleaning as well.
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

derek west

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 04:29:08 pm »
same here mike, phones ringing none stop with people trying to sell me advertising, got thompson coming round tomorrow at 2pm. (hey i'm bored, the wifes been ill for 3 weeks now, its someone to talk at) any one know anything about direct email, i know you can buy email business addresses off the likes of thompson and this also stops you going into there spam box, (i think) but does anyone use this form of adverting and have i got my facts, neh! inclings right?
derek

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 04:54:23 pm »
i went in to clean carpets just after an oven clean, he was there for 3 hours and charged £50, not sure if this is the norm?.
customer was happy too.

3 Hours is probably for a right minger of an oven and £50 sounds about right... you don't have such high over heads as with carpet cleaning because the equipment is basic, to some extent. Normally an oven takes me 1-2 hours and maybe I'll pick up £45-£60, but I'm happy with that as it fills in the spaces and my wallet.... As I have previously said I only advertise on the side of the van, so the marketting costs are minimal too.   
Happy Days  ;D

clinton

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 04:54:35 pm »
Got two jobs in the morn and thats it for this week,3 in for next week at the mo :)

Dont forget the weather puts people off doing thinks in the house ???

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 05:03:05 pm »
Derek

Build your own list when you get your website sorted. I have heard bad stories about mailing list companies and can cost 50p upwards per name. OK if it's current and well targetted but can't help feeling you get a lot of dross in there.

You will need an autoresponder to manage your list easily and cope with spam filters. Not cheap, but worth it in my opinion, but early days so I'll let you know.  ;)

JandS

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 06:26:08 pm »
What's the best chemical to use to do it?
Going to have a go on my own oven.
Take it you clean the inside of the oven itself for that price.
Could be a good little sideline.

John

derek west

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 06:30:25 pm »
i think you take the oven apart and place it into polythee bags, bit like roger koh and his fat liquering.
think so anyhoo.
derek

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 09:35:32 pm »
Elbow grease ;)

sherco

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 10:02:14 pm »
Got one cc clean job booked in this week and two limestone floors to clean, next week 30sqm limestone floor to lay, then following week grout re colouring job plus a few tile repair jobs...Got to tile a chess board for a guy on his patio with 600 x 600 porcelain tiles and he has oak chess pieces 2ft tall, but a bit bloody cold to work outside  ;D
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

clinton

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 10:07:21 pm »
Just took  a job for friday morn :)

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 10:10:54 pm »
The phone is very quiet, I've had an Xmas week this week booking in all of the customers taht couldn't get in before but next week does look bad I think I've got about 1 and half days worth all added up, this is the winter of our discontent!!

Database will be landing on Monday so fingers crossed, a month to go and Tenerife for me ;D

Shaun