This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

How has this forum changed the way you work?
« on: March 09, 2005, 06:45:34 am »
After 15 or so years I thought I knew it all about window cleaning.

Iv'e changed detergent and attitude since reading these pages.

How about you?

Walter Pole

Re: How has this forum changed the way you work?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 07:47:16 am »
I started window cleaning about this time last year and would say that I owe much of the success of my business to this and other forums.  There is so much knowledge willingly shared that would take many months to 'learn' by experience.

Pricing/uniforms/safety/technique/equipment are just a few of the areas that have been of great benefit to me.

Maybe I should take this opportunity to say thank you to everyone that supports and contributes to this forum   :)

Cheers
Mark
taking panes to exceed expectations

Duke

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 03:59:13 pm »
I've certainly learned alot....but more than anything, it's the confidence boost I get from realising there's loads more people just like me out there......it can be a lonely old game when you work on your own...

rosskesava

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2005, 06:09:52 pm »
I am constantly suprised with the idea's and the different ways of doing the job. I've learnt  a heck of lot and how I work is now completely different.

This may sound silly but I don't don't feel as if it's just the three of us and our window cleaning business.  I feel part of a proffesion.

I think this is a great forum.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2005, 07:28:20 pm »
I'm not sure how this forum has changed the way that I work, more the way that I think. 

At first, my aim was to be able to be self-employed and earn enough to have a fairly comfortable life.  After 17 years in the army (leaving as a Staff Sergeant, in a Warrant Officer's post - so on a decent salary), I was seeking some stability, without all the short notice deployments I'd been 'spammed for' for during the last five years of service.  All I wanted was to leave the army and be able to pay the bills and have a peacefull life, for my family and myself.

Thanks to this forum, I now realise, not only can we pay the bills, but earn some very decent money too.  I know there's genuine people out there who are extremely successful in what they do; Roy Harding and Ian_Giles spring to mind, amongst many others, and now I aspire to be like them.  They have an 18 year head start on me; but I hope to catch them up in the next few years!

After two years I've built up a decent amount of work, and earn a modest income with a huge potential for expansion.  In that time, despite making many mistakes; some of them major ones; I've been assisted by many helpful people on this site.

I think that when you're new to this job and morale is low, and you're struggling to find work; then struggling to complete it; fighting with the weather; and you really don't know what the score is (for example cleaning in the rain) - then you log on here and find others are having the same problems, you don't feel so alone!

I think I may have 'jacked it in', like so many other 'fly by nights', if it wasn't for this forum and its members!

So I don't think it's changed the way I work; more like changed my attitude towards work.

Pureandclean

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2005, 07:29:25 pm »
Altered my view on prices, specially gutters and consv roof's.
Noticed a big difference in turnover last 6 months.

::) Blessings  ::)

Graeme

Roy Harding

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2005, 07:45:44 pm »
After cleaning many years you think you know it all, and tend to stick at what you have always done. But you never know it all, and you still can take on fresh ideas to improve. As Ian said you can loose your enthusiasm,  and to be able to help and learn from others helps keep you focused.   :)

Thanks to every one, united we stand divided we fall.  ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2005, 07:58:46 pm »
Yes it's members have helped boost my morale, and given excellent advice as to how to improve my business - and is helping my switch to WFP.

Thanks to Philip and the rest of you.
It's a game of three halves!

thewindowcleaner1

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2005, 10:04:03 pm »
A windowcleaner's life can be a loney one (work wise) with only the family and friends to lean on (and for the most they don't really know what it's like out there). Forums like this give me a sense of Professionalism and Comradeship discusing things that only other's in a Similar position can relate to,I find by reading the posting's and becoming involved in the subject matter is like having my own private think tank which not only gives me new views on situations but helps me develope my own skills and stay that little step ahead of others in my area...

Many years ago one of my step daughters was told by a teacher that if she did not buck her idea's up she would land up with a petty job like her stepdad (me)
To this I sent said teacher a letter detailing the skills needed to do this petty job..
Customer relations
Self-motivation
Numeric skills
Marketing
Professionalism
Maintaining Working standards
Product knowledge
Health and safety in the work place
And shear bloody mindedness
 and closed the letter with the bitter comment "those that can't do the job Teach" and called myself
“A Glass cleansing technician”

Its forums like this that give you that sense of Professionalism and self worth.
The secret is not doing as you like but liking what you do
www.thewindowcleaner.biz

bobjarrett

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 09:39:23 am »
with out a doubt it has changed my attidude , gonna get a smart uniform etc image , put up my most of my prices recently, picked up obout 300 quid of customers , makes u think about how u run your business , also got quicker at cleaning windows , skys the limit when i make the change over to wfp lot of 3 storey going up with georgian on , keep up the good work cheers bob.
bob jarrett-smear clear windows

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 12:10:26 pm »
and closed the letter with the bitter comment "those that can't do the job Teach" and called myself
One of my customers has been teaching since 1995 and has now decided to call it a day as its not like it used to be.
What do you think hes going to do know?Yes you got it window cleaning