Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Re: whats you thoughts
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2008, 10:47:04 pm »
Daryl

Well you used to be able to get it on here. ;D

benny d

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2008, 05:01:51 pm »
You said you dont advertise, except a tiny ad in paper?

A phrase I heard a while back went like this, or words to this effect.

" To advertise can cost a fortune. Not to advertise costs alot more".
In a nutshell.

Just think about Mcdonalds for instance. One of the biggest companies in the world. If you want a burger, we all know it's either Mcdonalds or Burger King, but wherever you look, see, watch, listen, you still see that they are advertising, perhaps even more than ever now?

Now matter how big you are, advertising is the key.

PS-  Just charge what you know is a fair price, You cant do any more than that.
"If i'm not in action, I'm in traction"
Voted 397th best looking carpet cleaner in West Sussex 2015. Up 10 from last year...

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2008, 05:07:33 pm »
He's right you know. Maybe the best thing to do right now is to get a letter out to your top 20% of clients and say if they are quick you can still fit them in for Christmas. It's going to cost you a couple of hundred I suspect but worth every penny.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2008, 07:01:04 pm »
If you charge inbetween your old prices and the highest competitors prices then you will find that advertising becomes profitable because there's more in a single job. Carpet cleaning is highly profitable it's the costs that are the most expensive things.

Shaun

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2008, 07:29:15 pm »
Just an observation Susan, about what may be your mind set.

ive made bugger all this year out of the cleaning due to investing heaps of cash back into the buissness but i dont care as long as were moveing forward ill make it back next year so there no worries there as everything is paid for out right  ...

As you will well know, capital purchases are not a running expense, they are made out of PROFIT. So you've made some good profit, not drawn it but reinvested in your business.  To say you've "....made bugger all this year" just can't be true. Your profit and investment has been considerable, it's all paid for and as you have already stated you are ONLY about £200 down per week in economically difficult trading times.  I think you should be applauded for the way you have managed and directed your business during these times.

Well done Susan, don't be dismayed, you must be doing something right, now just go and dot the i's and cross the t's and watch your business flourish and grow from the new seeds you have sown.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Mr Dvae

« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2008, 07:52:50 pm »
Hi Guys
15 years ago i had a guy join me ans i really had to bring in more business went out offering free quotes but did'nt close too many sales so i upped my price by 50% and carried out quoting offering 1/2 price if they booked within 2 weeks sales went up and so did turnover by 70%.
Most overheads are static anyhow. sure we were doing more work for our money but we were making lots more.
What i'm trying to say is play around ith your prices, find the most economical price to sell at ....ie the price that gives you the best bottom line after expenses.
a petrol stn may sell 1000 gallons of fuel per week @ £1.10 but could sell 3000 gals @ £1.00 which way would they make the most money.
work out your bottom line on paper and then decide what price to charge.
Hope this helps

Dave

derek west

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2008, 08:00:21 pm »
susan
your a big girl now.
all growed up.
you don't need us numpty heads telling you how to run your busy.
you should be giving us advice.
derek
ps....
thats a compliment, hope your taking it that way.

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2008, 08:32:59 pm »
You're getting better Derek. I see you've learnt to spell numpty correctly ;)

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

derek west

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2008, 08:40:06 pm »
ken
can you please cut and paste when i spelt it wrong.
i rest my case.
derek

Dave_Lee

« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2008, 05:51:43 pm »
I have lost work because I was too expensive, I have also lost work because because I was too cheap. I have done jobs and felt that I have charged too much, I have also done jobs and felt that I didnt charge enough. Its not about what you think you are worth, its about what the customer thinks the job is worth to them.
Many of my customers have been with us for many years and stuck with us throughout price increases, but many have gone elswhere. When raising the game, getting better equipment etc and thus raising prices you find that after a few years your type of customer has changed.
The problem with working cheap prices is that you get the bottom end of the market. These type of customer will almost always go with the cheapest, so when you raise your game and prices you will lose them to those who are still cheaper.
You have to alter the way you market and your marketing material, to reach those that are looking for something better. When you find them you also have to deliver better. The higher you charge the more the customer expects, and if you dont deliver you can expect call backs.
Susan,
I suspect that you are not sending out newsletters or keeping in touch with your data base. You will keep most of your customers if you keep them informed about the improvements you are making to your operations and how it is going to benefit THEM. Dont tell you have to increase your prices instead tell them how, despite the expensive investments, you have managed to keep prices to a  reasonable level and remain competatively priced  compared to other PROFESSIONALS in the area.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2008, 06:11:49 pm »
Dave's spot on.  :)

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2008, 07:20:17 am »
thanks guys im going to have a word with a web bluilder today also im going to drag out years of old dairys and see what i can learn from them also going to try and get hold of david l. and seek some words of wisdom off him .....

i want to up the game and go to hidher end markets and im thinking of starting up in a brand new zone with prices at the top end ! this way getting custy paying good prices from the word go 

iam getting a little better on pushing the new gear and t.m. systerm so we will have to see what and how it goes from there

thanks for your replys just sometimes a need a little help as its easy to go back to old ways ..

ken your bang on the money i sat down last night worked out how much ive spent on three brand new vans , two t.m.s wrapping them ect ect ect and to put only 150 pounds a week in for a year out of my own pocket  to have everything paid for i guess i have made a few quid just when its not in your hand it doesnt feel like it  ill keep you imfourm and let your know how i do 

thanks susan xx

clinton

« Reply #32 on: December 15, 2008, 07:28:24 am »
Good luck susan :)

I have only had my web site since june and since being on the forum have really got my work and ideas up and running :)

The forum has helped me so much and was  :)

I also have put my prices up after years of doing cheaper work and have been going for 19 years ::)

I was just ploddi

carlton care

« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2008, 08:33:26 am »
If it ain't broken........................and in Susan's case, it ain't broken, so what's being put forward here, is how other people THINK SHE SHOULD CHANGE HER SUCCESS TO SATISFY THEIR THINKING.

Robert Saunders has been offering the same advice to carpet cleaners for many years, by encouraging people to increase their prices NOT BY DOUBLING OR TREBLING what they charge, but by around 10%.

Probably only 1% of the c/c market will pay top end prices and even then, will only find the service through recommendation, or a management company.

They don't need YP or newspaper adverts, more likely to use a body like the NCCA. That being the case, anyone attempting to break into this sector will struggle, really struggle.

So why bother............

Whether your main business comes from the lower end of the market, or the middle and you are progressing, BE HAPPY and build your business by being good at what you do and giving VALUE FOR MONEY

More people have been successful in this industry, by doing, rather than dreaming.

Susan Dean (1stclean)

« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2008, 09:40:58 am »
If it ain't broken........................and in Susan's case, it ain't broken, so what's being put forward here, is how other people THINK SHE SHOULD CHANGE HER SUCCESS TO SATISFY THEIR THINKING.

Robert Saunders has been offering the same advice to carpet cleaners for many years, by encouraging people to increase their prices NOT BY DOUBLING OR TREBLING what they charge, but by around 10%.

Probably only 1% of the c/c market will pay top end prices and even then, will only find the service through recommendation, or a management company.

They don't need YP or newspaper adverts, more likely to use a body like the NCCA. That being the case, anyone attempting to break into this sector will struggle, really struggle.

So why bother............

Whether your main business comes from the lower end of the market, or the middle and you are progressing, BE HAPPY and build your business by being good at what you do and giving VALUE FOR MONEY

More people have been successful in this industry, by doing, rather than dreaming.

i agree with what your saying but in my case i think i should be getting more cash for what im doing so to prove it hes what one of the t.ms as on today and how much we will get

1. fr/dinner 45 pounds

2. single carpet front room 30 pounds

3. three setter and two chair in draylon 55 pounds

4. fr/din , hsl  65 pounds

truck will do about 60 miles round trip hes at frist job at 830am and should be home buy 6pm

Joe H

« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2008, 11:51:28 am »
Now I am not the most expensive on here Susan but this is what I have today.

Already done 12'x10' lounge, stairs and snmall landing  £80
back home 11-20am
next job 2pm lounge/dining  £70
expect to be home 4-15pm.

Travel miles 30 at the most.

not far behind you but lot less work.

I would be looking at £350 for what your man is doing at the prices I am charging today.

JandS

« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2008, 12:59:39 pm »
Even with 4 jobs in a day travel miles would be a maximum of 30.
Like Joe though I live in a heavily built up area.
6O miles in a day plus if you don't quote on phone 60 miles again!!! Must be costing you a fortune.
That's why I quote over phone most times.

John
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.

carlton care

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2008, 03:58:53 pm »
Please understand Susan, I'm not suggesting you continue to be the cheapest, but your team who previously ran 4 Exels, could continue to do what they've always done, but just 10% more than last year.

I fully understand what you and Justin are feeling and suggest the following;-

Start up a separate business for the T/M work and market directly to the people you want as customers. I know there are a fair number who could help you with this, but suggest you look for Mike Hallidays past posts, as he probably has this down to a "T"as they say.
People like Ken Wainwright, Joe Hatton, Shaun Ashmore and a few others " walk the walk " every week and don't bullpoop, all of these guys are in the middle to upper price range, for the work they do and with your credentials, plus your new equipment, I'd suggest that's the level to aim for.

If you're known as the cheapest in town a new name and image will take care of that.

Best wishes whatever you do

robert m

clinton

« Reply #38 on: December 15, 2008, 04:13:41 pm »
Think you should be charging more for your t mount services susan ???

Just did today

Lounge   12 x 15 and hall   £75.00

3 pce suite   10 cushion      £120.00

Lounge/Dinner and rug and two dinning chairs  £110.00

Dave_Lee

« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2008, 07:06:14 pm »
Why oh why does anyone criticise replies on a subject, when the topic starter plainly asks for "any ideas". If someone has an input, then input it. So what, if you dont agree. Susan, I am sure is quite capable of cherry picking what she feels is right for her!
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."