This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

wcs.

. New
« on: November 06, 2008, 10:26:45 pm »
?

paulscotney

Re: What about the cost.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 10:59:18 pm »
Depends on the gross earnings. Knock off 40% maybe.

LWC

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 11:01:06 pm »
i have only just notice how much i spend since having window cleaner pro

i spend alot each month

Mr H

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 07:16:18 am »
No set amount..... You have to work that out for yourself......

Cost of van.... is it leased or purchaed if purchased are there loan repayments.
Cost of system... is it leased or purchaed if purchased are there loan repayments.
Van insurance... depends on model, how many to drive it, etc....
P.L insurance.... depends on where you live and what sort of cover you want.
Road tax for van... depends on the van.
Fuel cost... depends on how local your rounds are.
Clothing... logo'd uniform is more expensive
Printing.. flyers, calling cards,job cards
Water.. depends on system and if your on a meter
Electricity.. for running your business computer, transfer pump.
Van repairs
MOT
Advertising... depends on how much and which format.
Accountant... If you use one....

Add all them up for 5 years then divide by 5 to give your yearly then divide again by 10 to give a monthly (with a little build in for emergencies, illness, holidays) then divide again by how many days a week you want to work to give you your daily running cost.

ftp

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 08:13:24 am »
Surely you know the figure the minute you fill your tax return out?

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 09:31:15 pm »
Mr H's figures and then divide by the number of jobs. I believe that every job costs me £3.(not including extra travel).

So a £15 job less my £3 exes, and I make no more than the trad man who did it for £12.

ftp

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 09:46:49 pm »
But you should be cramming more into your working day?

geefree

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 10:10:37 pm »
Why 5 years...?

if you want to break down your figures , look at the copy of your tax returns,

divide it by the % of your tax bills.

macmac

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 10:19:10 pm »
I'm just glad i earn good money & so don't have to be concerned or worry about such things. ;)

Hey, maybe i'm just a natural born business man? I'm quite well off, have NO deabts (apart from a 35% LTV mortgage),

van= paid for cash
all equipment= paid for cash
car= paid for cash

NO credit cards

I own everything apart from 35% of my home! ;D whey hey 8)

But the best bit is that i run my wc empire from an A4 week per view diary & a 2001 renault kangoo ( not sign written)  ( AND NO, I DON'T NEED GEORGE, SEE?
)

tONY

ftp

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2008, 04:24:56 am »
I'm just glad i earn good money & so don't have to be concerned or worry about such things. ;)

Hey, maybe i'm just a natural born business man? I'm quite well off, have NO deabts (apart from a 35% LTV mortgage),

van= paid for cash
all equipment= paid for cash
car= paid for cash

NO credit cards

I own everything apart from 35% of my home! ;D whey hey 8)

But the best bit is that i run my wc empire from an A4 week per view diary & a 2001 renault kangoo ( not sign written)  ( AND NO, I DON'T NEED GEORGE, SEE?
)

tONY

I think it's obvious where you've gone wrong Anthony, you need to analise your business daily,
Heap more stress on yourself, borrow more money and worry yourself sick.

Have you got laminate flooring in the garage yet? ......................................... you should by now  ;D

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2008, 09:31:48 am »
This thread is not about earnings, it’s about the cost. I can understand if some are confused between the two but knowing the difference will reduce stress. Whether you pay cash or have full or part finance.

Example of van cost.

Keeping a van for five years – Running Cost.

MOT - £
Tyres - £
Oil Change - £
Service/Repair - £
Battery - £
Brake Pads - £
Fuel - £
Road Tax - £
RAC/AA - £
Motor Insurance - £
Other/Finance - £

Total - £ 7,500   

Add the cost of van, new or old and adjust running cost.  Then divide by your working days.

So does anybody know approximately what it cost to be a window cleaner for five years and what that equates to per working day?

Well my first three years (only been WFPing for three years) have averaged out at around 11 grand per year but that includes absolutely everything.  It includes the start-up costs of buying a newish van, a van mount and trolley.  It includes a range of poles - some of them pretty expensive, renting a bit of garage space, a big repair bill on my van (along with the normal bills).  Accountancy fees, a little bit of trad equipment, signwriting, advertising in YP, Yell, and several other places plus  Obviously knowing what I now know I could have done things more cheaply.  The next three years will cost nothing like the previous three so the longer term average will drop.  Chopping and changing things around several times to get things how I want them hasn't been cheap.  Obviously some of the above figure is being capitalised so the figure may be somewhat spurious.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2008, 09:52:54 am »
Cheers Shiner that should put things in perspective for new window cleaners (and others)

Good rule of thumb would be anywhere between £35,000 - £45,000 over the first five years, £35-£45 a day.

forgot to mention that I wasn't able to fund it all from savings and that interest on loans is also within the 11 grand figure.
The flip side of that though is that my turnover has gradually  increased to a point where it is now 15 grand higher than it was before WFP.  The point is that the big outlays come before the rewards so unless you have plenty put by, searching for good value loans is important.  My van system loan was done over 5 years at 5.9%.  Thought that was a pretty good deal .

Trotsky

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2008, 11:28:34 am »
Cheers Shiner that should put things in perspective for new window cleaners (and others)

Good rule of thumb would be anywhere between £35,000 - £45,000 over the first five years, £35-£45 a day.

Wow!
Are these figures for a "Big" business?
these figures seem high to me!
Are you a "One" man band of do you have people working for you?

According to my "Accountant" George!  ;)
£4000 seems to be a good yearly figure (for a one man operation!)
Times that by 5 = £20,000
Divide that by  1,780 Days (days in 5 years)
Comes out at £11.24 a day!

Maybe I am well out!
(one reason I could be wrong is I don't waste too much money on advertising!)
 :)

Paul Coleman

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2008, 12:04:10 pm »

Wow!
Are these figures for a "Big" business?
these figures seem high to me!
Are you a "One" man band of do you have people working for you?

According to my "Accountant" George!  ;)
£4000 seems to be a good yearly figure (for a one man operation!)
Times that by 5 = £20,000
Divide that by  1,780 Days (days in 5 years)
Comes out at £11.24 a day!

Maybe I am well out!
(one reason I could be wrong is I don't waste too much money on advertising!)
 :)

I reckon those figures are about right for someone doing their first five years.  By the time five years have gone, I anticipate being at the upper end of those numbers (c. £45,000) .  I reckon that the second five years would be done for a lot less though because my mistakes would be fewer and I know how to do things more for myself than when I first started.  Also, once I've emptied out the garage, that will save me about £400 a year in rent.  I am referring to a sole trader as well.  Also, I still have room for a fair bit more work so the effects of expenditure will dilute more as my turnover grows.  Although it can cost more in expenditure the more work you do, it doesn't grow anything near as sharply as the turnover it relates to.  I do plan to change my van after the five year loan has been paid (in two years time) but even with that change, I expect the second five years to cost a fair bit less than the first.

ftp

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2008, 12:50:47 pm »
That would be great if you were all on a level playing field. The thing that stops the prices going too high is that at the end of the day you still have to compete with a man with a ladder and a householder who can do his own. "Your windows will be fifty quid please " why? Because i've spent a fortune on a shiney van, uniforms and all the gizmos.
Think there was a thread somewhere of the polish cleaning for a quid. Ewan, your theories of business are great but i just wonder if it all works that way in the proffession of removing dirt from glass?

twt

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2008, 04:33:34 pm »
What is the cost for five years? £15500

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2008, 04:43:52 pm »
Depends on the gross earnings. Knock off 40% maybe.

Thats the figure i work on.

ftp

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2008, 04:57:49 pm »
The point i'm making is that traditional windowcleaners have virtually no cost. Nothing wrong with trad cleaners - i wouldn't describe them as cowboys, but until trad disappears then as far as domestic work goes you don't have a level field thats all.

Trotsky

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 05:21:51 pm »
The point I am making is that being a window cleaner can carry lots of similar expenses like any other trade.

It’s good to save money where you can, but cutting too many corners won’t save you as much money as you may think and will reduce your professionalism.

Knock on effect will be less income, either through lack of capabilities or low pricing.

Understanding your true cost will help you price up work better and make the right decisions in the right equipment.

i like these comments;
True I haven't got some items, that I could use (now and then) ie a longer pole, bigger tank...
So it goes I cant always reach some work!
If it becomes  worth it I will buy them as and when required!
And as for the true cost,
I will try and find a book a friend showed me, looking into all this (a nice formula!)
the upshot that I got from it was How much money did you have in the bank at the end of the year?
The other question was... :o
Was it worth all the hard work?
I had to reavaluate my prices as I realised I wasn't "Factoring in" all expenses
and... no I didn't have anything in the bank :-[ :(

ftp

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2008, 06:04:25 pm »
I think if someone analized my first years figures they would have a giggle but it has meant i have a job and a reasonable income. I don't really want to know my costs funnily enough, just as long as i'm earning and providing for my family is all that matters for me. I buy equipment as and when i need it and don't sit down to justify the expenditure. If i want it i'll buy it.