Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Darren O

Re: Increased PSI?
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2008, 06:33:04 pm »
Mike ive heard a few people on hear saying they have had a lot of problems with there Speedsters i think Cleansmart stop selling because of the amount of trouble thyve had with them.Another machine thats worth a look is the hydramaster  raptor great machine with loads of heat ive had a coulpe of problems with the pump but hydramaster fixed it and its going great again.

Carpet Genie

« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2008, 07:01:42 pm »
Cheers Darren, i'll have a look at one of them - where can you get them from?
Mike George

The Carpet genie

Carpet Genie

« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2008, 07:29:31 pm »
Cancel my last - i've found them now!
Mike George

The Carpet genie

Andy Hogarth

« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2008, 08:01:33 pm »
I have a speedster and as said earlier have had no problems, There are precautions you can take to fix potential problems.
I narrowed my search down to the raptor or the speedster, I would have probably gone for a raptor but got such a fantastic deal on my speedster that in the end it came down to price.
I think I got Matts last one, he made the 'easy' modifications for me which seem to do the job.

I too mostly have it set to around 250 - 300 psi
Www.2venturegroup.com

Robert Watson

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2008, 08:07:58 pm »
I call mine the leakster.
The Kitchen Door Centre

Andy Hogarth

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2008, 09:29:46 pm »
That bad??? Where's it leaking from.....Be prepared and all that  ;)
Www.2venturegroup.com

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2008, 06:43:03 pm »
Touch wood no probs with mine.

I have noticed the metal end of the hose in the sol. tank has gone rusty but don't know whether I should leave well alone?

Carpet Genie

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 10:10:37 pm »
Hi Guys, just to let you know i purchased the Scorpion after all the advice - it arrived yesterday and got the chance to play with it today.

Couple of questions that you Scorpion users may be able to help with.

1) The adjustment for the PSI - i'm assuming that turning it all the way to the right makes it about 500PSI but how far to the left do you have to turn it to turn it down sufficeintly for upholstery?
2) Secondly - what on earth do you use for a hose bag - the 2 inch hose is massive - like handling a massive snake!!! Took me ages to coil the bugger up!!
Mike George

The Carpet genie

Carpet Genie

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 10:21:25 pm »
Sorry just read your post and you have been running for a few years  :)

Yea, just over three years - started off slowly but getting busy now - got a couple of letting agencies using me which has really helped my turnover. Trying to get into Nursing homes now - got one but looking for more. There's loads around me - it's like Florida without the sun - full of old people!!
Mike George

The Carpet genie

Carpet Genie

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2008, 10:30:05 pm »
;D

Let us know how you get on with it mate joe hatton has a scorpion and always praises it. :)

Will do - i've got a couple of jobs on tomorrow including a suite so i'll stick a post on tomorrow night to say how it goes. (As long as i can pack the hose up in time!! It's a beast!)
Mike George

The Carpet genie

Darren O

« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2008, 11:15:59 pm »
I take it the Scorpion dosent have a preasure gauge if so why did they not put one on it especially if it has a 500psi pump.Dont no if its just me but i always like to no what preasure iam working at.

Carpet Genie

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 11:17:29 pm »
I take it the Scorpion dosent have a preasure gauge if so why did they not put one on it especially if it has a 500psi pump.Dont no if its just me but i always like to no what preasure iam working at.

No, there's no pressure gauge on it - I'm like you, i'd like to know what the pressure is. I expect i'll get used to it eventually.
Mike George

The Carpet genie

Jim_77

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 11:43:42 pm »
What the hell does a number on a dial mean?

When you've got it flat out it's giving you lots... when you back it off you get less.  How much more complicated than that does it have to be?

30 seconds setting the machine up before extraction and you're sorted, same as any other machine.

Joe H

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 07:41:16 am »
Re the pressure gauge
You can fit an in-line gauge no ptoblem, but in time you just get used to it so you save money.
Fully on will give more then 500psi from what I am told (mines a earlier version with 300psi).
Most of the time you wont be going over 300-350 anyway.
For hand tool use probably around 150ish ie suites
You will know from experiance what the right setting is - like Jim says - what are numbers anyway (just indicators).

Hose management.
The hoses from Solutions are very flexible - be thankful you got them from them!
Have you a 100ft ie 2x50!
I cut one of mine into15' and 35' so I have 15, 35, 50, 65, 85, and 100'. Dont forget you need 2 mor eend pieces!
Many houses you can manage with 50' or less so if you use the 15 and 35 you can redue as you work yourself out of the house. Many times you will only need the 35'.
I also have a 10' piece of 1.5" to connect to my 1.5" wand (maybe you got the 2" wand)
This gives more flexibility when working in tighter spaces like bedrooms with all the furniture in or suites. Although for suites I have a 25' piece of hide a hose (solution hose indie the suction hose) - less chance of snagging on the suite.
Using this 10' along with the 15, 35 and 50 gives you many more combinations.
You get used to coiling them up - its the solution hose that I find greater problem with - but lay it out straight preferably when still warm and it gets easier.

Enjoy your Scorpion.

Darren O

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 08:36:37 am »
Jim when your spending that much money on a machine you shouldnt have to guess what psi your running at.Jim you seem a we bit touchy when ever somebody mentions a Solutions product chill out.

Carpet Genie

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 08:03:27 pm »
Okay, first day of work with the Scorpion today and i must say i'm really impressed by it.
Main points i've noticed on day one are
1) It is extremely powerful - the suction through the 2'' hose was immense, much much stronger than my old powermax. So much so that when cleaning a suite today the extra suction was causing a bit of a problem. Needed to adjust my technique a bit but by the sceond settee was ok.
2) PSI adjustment - took a while to adjust the PSI to the desired level but as a couple of people have send you do get used to it. Only need to turn it down for upholstery, for carpets have it just below the maximum. I could see the dirt dissolving in front of me. The customer was also watching at this point and was very impressed!
3) Noise of machine - yes it is a bit noisy but the customer didn't mind - he thought the noise equated to power so was just impressed with the machine. I'll probably end up leaving it outside most of the time anyway.
4) Length of hoses - Funnily enough the first job today was a 3 storey house and i needed the 50' length to go all the way to the top - saved carting the machine up the stairs. I think that i will be cutting the hose down to three different sizes though. Think i'll go for 2 x 15' and 1 x 20'. Just makes it easier to put away more than anything else! I can alway put them together when needed.
5) The stair tool that came with the Scorpion was superb. two jets and a much wider head meant i did the three sets of stairs in no time. Very impressed.
6) Upholstery tool - Never used one with jet inside before - meant there was alot less spray going on the floor - again took a bit of time to get used to but i prefer it now.
7) Speed - after the initial set up and getting used to the machine my cleaning times were much quicker than before. The increase in PSI and airflow make it very fast leaving the carpets much dryer than before.

All in all i must say that the machine is very very impressive. Yes there are a couple of minor things tjhat some people may not like, such as no PSi gauge but after one day i can say that i don't think this will be a problem, just turn it down for upholstery and turn it up for carpets - even i can get my head round that. Also the noise may put some people off but i just wear headphones and listen to music while i'm working!!
I would certainly recommend the machine to anyone who has 3 grand to invest as it will earn it's money back in no time.

I've got to sort my van out now though to fit everything in to it!!

My thanks to everyone who gave me advice on this matter - i appreciate all your comments, don't think i would have come to the decision i did without your help.

Cheers!!
Mike George

The Carpet genie

Joe H

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2008, 08:16:44 pm »
A good review Mike.
Dont know how you stand with your prcing but soon you will have the confidence to put them up because you know you are doing an exceptional job and you will have the confidence to let potential customers know that.

clinton

« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2008, 10:38:58 pm »
Sounds like your first day was good and productive :)

Am sure you could leave the machine outside and just have a cover for it when raining :)

Carpet Genie

« Reply #38 on: November 01, 2008, 12:11:17 am »
Joe,

Yea i was thinking myself today that i need to start putting my prices up slightly - not too much but an extra couple of quid on each job will soon add up to a tidy amount. As you say as i get more professional and the results improve then the price must also increase.

Clinton,
I think Solutions do some sort of rain cover for the machine - i'll give them a ring and see what it's like.

It was a good day but my back is killing me as i twisted the ligaments in my knee on saturday playing football so couldn't kneel down today - had to do two large three seater settees bending over!! Feel about 80 now!
Mike George

The Carpet genie

Joe H

« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2008, 07:07:48 am »
Always good to leave machine outside no matter what machine.
Keeps inside house tidier but important is that the exhaust fumes fro dirt etc out of carpets is not inside clients house.
You will need 2 extension cables of course for the occassions you havent got 2 suitable points iaccessible easily.
If you have to take into house then make sure it stands on some protective stuff ie plastic sheet at least.