This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Pole 2 Pole

Re: Declaring takings
« Reply #60 on: October 01, 2008, 07:45:45 am »
It's amazing what you can save if you think before you spend.

Some one above said he goes out for a meal once a week with his family - now I don't know if he means £30 at Mc Donalds, £100 at a Harvester or £200 slap up meal, but... let's go with the middle option.

If he cut that back to twice a month and buys fish and chips he could save £200 a month. That will finance a van, or a good holiday, or pay for all the extra gas, leccy and diesel costs, or the shopping bill or go towards retirement or savings.

I don't mean to lecture but It's the way I am (ask my kids! ;D)

Yes, let's be a bit more careful but get real - this ain't the depression of 30's USA or Germany in the early 20's.
That man would be me Malc,lol. I had to read you post a couple of times so that i don't get your statistics right  ;) From what you said,takin the middle option....i spend £400 a month at the Harvester????? Behave  ::) £30 nearly every time and to be honest, buying 4 portions of Fish n Chips where i come from would nearly come to that. More in some places. Oh to live up North  ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #61 on: October 01, 2008, 08:09:38 am »
I think this is what i am aiming for##

Retirement Story
A fishing boat was docked in a tiny coastal village south of the border. An American tourist complimented the local fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them. "Not very long", answered the fisherman. "Then why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the American. The man said that his small catch was enough for his family. The American asked, "What do you do with the rest of your time?" The fisherman replied, "I sleep late, play with my children, catch a few fish, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar and sing a few songs. I have fun…"

The American interrupted, "Hey, I have an MBA from Duke and I can help you. Start by fishing longer every day and selling the extra fish you catch then you can buy a bigger boat. The larger boat will bring in more money and you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet. Instead of selling to a middleman, you can sell directly to the processing plants. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, LA or New York City! There you can direct your enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the fisherman. "20-25 years", replied the American. "And after that?" asked the fisherman. "That's when it gets really interesting", answered the American, smiling. "When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!" "Millions? Really? And after that?" asked the fisherman.

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny coastal village, sleep late, play with your grandchildren, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and playing the guitar with your friends!"

seandyer2003

« Reply #62 on: October 01, 2008, 10:07:45 am »
I dont think you have got the moral of that story dave mate :) the point is why bother getting rich when happiness comes from spending time with your family etc, and the fisherman was already doing that so why build an empire and waste 30-40 years when he was already doing the things people retire for.....but the world being the way it is everyone is out to get rich, doesnt bring happiness though but makes life more comfortable definitely but money alone wont make you happy you need more in life than that, - that is a bit philosophical eh :) but that is the moral! Not that there is anything wrong with building up your business mate :)

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #63 on: October 01, 2008, 10:33:21 am »
I have got the moral, it was more a micky take of myself and all the other headless chickens out there.

The only reason i employ is so i dont have to get my own hands dirty, nothing more nothing less, and if i can make a few bob on the way i will be happy.

onwards and upwards as they say

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #64 on: October 01, 2008, 03:17:58 pm »
The only reason i employ is so i dont have to get my own hands dirty, nothing more nothing less, and if i can make a few bob on the way i will be happy.
So in a roundabout way, you're working hard now so you can be lazy later!

I like that idea... ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #65 on: October 01, 2008, 03:40:12 pm »
yes thats it

I was talking to a window cleaning mate yesterday who has got a hugely successful company employing 20 staff, he told me he has only drawn £20k in the last 19 years, almost every penny has gone back in building his business

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #66 on: October 01, 2008, 04:48:59 pm »
A great idea, and I'd love to invest it back in.

I'd love to spend:
£200 on a pda.(maybe another £400 on a laptop).
£200+ on advertising.
£200-400 on new poles and various equipment.
£100+ on work clothes.
etc...etc...etc...

Trouble is, after covering all my bills and a grasping missus there's rarely more than 50 quid left over! >:(

Tosh

« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2008, 08:57:05 am »

I'd love to spend:
£200+ on advertising.
£100+ on work clothes.
etc...etc...etc...

Trouble is, after covering all my bills and a grasping missus there's rarely more than 50 quid left over! >:(

I reckon you don't need the pda, laptop or some of the new equipment.

Advertising and work clothes should be your priority.

matt

« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2008, 11:28:40 am »
I think this is what i am aiming for##

Retirement Story
A fishing boat was docked in a tiny coastal village south of the border. An American tourist complimented the local fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took him to catch them. "Not very long", answered the fisherman. "Then why didn't you stay out longer and catch more?" asked the American. The man said that his small catch was enough for his family. The American asked, "What do you do with the rest of your time?" The fisherman replied, "I sleep late, play with my children, catch a few fish, and take a siesta with my wife. In the evenings I go into the village to see my friends, have a few drinks, play the guitar and sing a few songs. I have fun…"

The American interrupted, "Hey, I have an MBA from Duke and I can help you. Start by fishing longer every day and selling the extra fish you catch then you can buy a bigger boat. The larger boat will bring in more money and you can buy a second one and a third one and so on until you have an entire fleet. Instead of selling to a middleman, you can sell directly to the processing plants. You can then leave this little village and move to Mexico City, LA or New York City! There you can direct your enterprise."

"How long would that take?" asked the fisherman. "20-25 years", replied the American. "And after that?" asked the fisherman. "That's when it gets really interesting", answered the American, smiling. "When your business gets really big, you can start selling stocks and make millions!" "Millions? Really? And after that?" asked the fisherman.

"After that you'll be able to retire, live in a tiny coastal village, sleep late, play with your grandchildren, catch a few fish, take a siesta with your wife and spend your evenings drinking and playing the guitar with your friends!"

i had forgotten that story ;) thanks dave

matt

« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2008, 11:30:43 am »

I'd love to spend:
£200+ on advertising.
£100+ on work clothes.
etc...etc...etc...

funny enough rog, im the other way around, ive got a few quid i would love to invest in my biz, ive just ordered a tank for the van, after that im stumped on what i would spend it on, i really am struggling to find something

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2008, 12:12:43 pm »

I'd love to spend:
£200+ on advertising.
£100+ on work clothes.
etc...etc...etc...

funny enough rog, im the other way around, ive got a few quid i would love to invest in my biz, ive just ordered a tank for the van, after that im stumped on what i would spend it on, i really am struggling to find something

Put it aside for your tax bill.
That's what I'd do.

I'm going to get asked for hundreds in a few months, and I've got sod all.