This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gsw

Re: ionics system water softener backwash
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2008, 07:06:44 pm »
i dont measure a ratio, i just wind my pressure back from 43psi to about 38, this puts water in my tank at around 11ppm happy with that considering it starts at 370. what i do know though is more waste = better quality water

greg

the magnet idea sounds very interesting, think i saw one on a website the other day

Ian Rochester

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 07:40:07 pm »
Dave,

Is it the Thermopure system you've got?

Once a week connect a hose from your cold water outfeed to the infeed and flush the RO with pure water for half an hour

Also every other fill, backflush your softener with dishwasher salt (79p for 3kg from Tesco), half fill the cannister with salt connect your red pipes to either end of the softener and flush until all the salt has gone, taste the waste water to check it's free of salt.

I've got a copy of the manual for all the systems on the computer if you or anyone wants a copy.

ian@lionheartcleaning.co.uk

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2008, 07:44:10 pm »
Ian

No its not the thermopure it is a 1000 litre pro 5 with twin ro's

I have done the back wash today, also ran pure water through the RO with the waste set to max.

Any other advice is very welcome.

Dave

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2008, 08:32:54 pm »
Spoke to Steve Peel from Ionics last week, apparently a lot of people are now fitting magnets in line instead of a water softener, they do the same thing, ie break down the limescale in the water. 

Require no maintenance and no back-flushing, anyone using this method?

You can buy those devices that do the same thing.. stick em at the water feed from the street just as the  pipes enter your house, then ANY water you use in your home will be treated!

So you save your washing machine, shower, kettle etc too!

Ok i looked into it, somewhat.

h ttp://www.scalewatcher.co.uk/

Scalewatcher is a compact, computerised electronic water conditioner which will descale your existing system, prevent new scale forming and save you money from the moment it is installed.

The Scalewatcher uses modern technology to create an electrical field that changes the shape and behaviour of scale forming calcium. This action stops further build up of scale and as the solubility of the water is increased, existing scale will be progressively reduced.

Does it really work?

The Scalewatcher has been tested by Portsmouth University, numerous publications and has won the Ideal Home Blue Ribbon Award which is why it comes with a money-back performance guarantee. With a proven 98% success rate over 16 years.

How can I tell if it's working? - What to look for:

- In around 4 to 6 weeks you should notice:
- The softening of scale around the basins
- Scale flaking away from the kettle element and shower rose
- Water often feels silkier
- Water feeling hotter, improved performance of washing machines and dishwashers.
- Reduction in use of soap, soap powder, shampoo, detergents and cleaners.
- Easier cleaning of surfaces, especially baths, basins and sinks

Does it affect the drinking water?

Water remains chemically unchanged, retaining the beneficial minerals and tastes the same so you do not need a separate drinking tap.

Where does the scale that is reduced go?

As the scale does not stick to pipework and appliances it all goes down the plug and leaves the house with the water.

Can I fit the unit?

As no plumbing is involved most customers fit the unit themselves and it should take no more than 30 mins, or you can use a local handy man or electrician.

Does it require any maintenance?

Once installed the unit will require no maintenance at all, for It's expected life span is 20 years or more.

How much does it cost to run?

The units costs about £3.00 a year in electricity.

What pipe material is suitable?

The unit can be fitted on copper, plastic, steel and lead pipes. It works on painted or unpainted pipe or pipes with condensation if you have lagged pipe reduce the lagging, fit the coil and lag on the top of the coil.

Where should the unit be fitted?

The ideal place is on the rising main so all the water that enters the house is treated. But if necessary it can be fitted further up the system.

How much pipe is needed for installation?

To fit the unit you require 10 cm of straight pipe. This can be horizontal, vertical or diagonal pipe. However you can treat 2 pipes with one unit.

What if it does not work?

We can normally solve most problems. If we can't you get your money back.

Will the scale that is reduced block pipes?

No, the calcium is gradually dissolved back into solution.

Will it cause leaks?

No, in 18 years of selling Scalewatcher we have had no problems regarding leaks.

Is the Scalewatcher suitable for all types of water systems?

Yes. It does not matter how you heat your water the Scalewatcher treats all systems. For complex or commercial applications please call our help line.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2008, 08:36:56 pm »
You can use cheap dishwasher salt from the supermarket to backwash the softener.

Also, when all of the salt has dissolved and gone through, keep running the water through, until the TDS reading coming out from the waste is back down to normal tap TDS. (This can take a while, but worth it)

I ran di water with a reading of "0"  through the back wash and did as you said, it took about 1 hour, I dont think i need to do it every fill maybe every 4 with having only a 70 tds reading

NWH

« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2008, 09:29:26 pm »
I would fit a DI can aswell it will make the resin cartridges last much much longer.

S.A.J

« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2008, 08:35:49 am »
Dave i've had a pro 5 for 7 years now, if you want any more help mate give me a bell  ;)

Stuart

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2008, 09:16:26 am »
Thanks

alanwilson

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2008, 05:26:53 pm »
dave mate you really don't need to be backflushing at all - just a 5 minute through flush before each fill is more than adequate.  membranes will last for years with your tap tds.

I've never been to bed with an ugly bird but I've woken up with loads!

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2008, 07:04:57 pm »
Alan

I spent longer on the first flush as i didnt know what water had been through it before hand, and had bee stood idle for quite a while.

I just wanted to start with a blank canvas.

Cant believe how slow RO is and how much messing, at least with DI it is ultra simple.
But i will persevere.

My problem is low water pressure and low flow rate , only 30 psi max

Steve Lowe

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2008, 07:16:55 pm »
Dave

If you only have 30 psi you will need a booster pump. I have 35-40psi and i use a pump to take it up to 75 psi then its much quicker ;)

Steve
Steven J Lowe MBICSc

Lowes Cleaning Services Limited
www.lowescleaning.com