Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

alticry

spotting
« on: September 25, 2008, 09:35:49 pm »
Bought some spotters from solutions uk but they dont seem to do what they say on the label i.e. remove ink or other claimed uses .I tried it out on my own carpets as im a newbie and dont want to tell customers that i can remove stains when i cant.

Is this the way it is?

Dont believe what you read on the label?

help welcome.

markpowell

Re: spotting
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 09:50:17 pm »
Same as us cleaners, no supplier can guarantee 100% that there product will remove a certain stain or spot.
The success of removal depends on certain issues.
1. Type of fibre.
2. Has anyone tried vanish, 1001 etc
3. How long as the stain been there, etc etc.
And finally the experience of the cleaner using the spotting products.
Just because you buy ? Which is designed to remove ink doesnt mean that the product will remove all inks
in all situations.
NEVER NEVER NEVER Tell a custromer that you can remove a stain 100% otherwise you are going to end up in the S**T
Mark

Dan Williams

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2008, 09:52:35 pm »
I use this spotter from Solution, does a good job but I know it says it on the bottle but I have never used it to remove ink. for ink I use pig

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2008, 09:55:10 pm »
not all inks are the same

alticry

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 09:56:52 pm »
Thanks guys

Andrew Briscoe

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 10:00:15 pm »
Practice makes perfect
Andrew

Jim_77

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2008, 11:07:04 pm »

diamond

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2008, 08:57:24 am »
PIG is Better than POG but I cant put up with the canstant oinking.

CARPET KNIGHTS

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2008, 09:19:42 am »
The thing with spotting is that you need to understand at least a little bit of chemistry for you to have any sort of success with it!

ie. ink is sometimes water soluble and sometimes not for instance cartidge pen ink is water soluble but ballpoint isn't so you will need a water based spotter for the water soluble one and a solvent based for the non water soluble one.

That being said though ballpoint is a pig and you will probably have little success with it with anything anyway!

The solutions spotters are very good and they do do what they say on the box but you have to have a bit of knowledge to go with it too!

Cheers Goron

Ps. i prefer chicken

Joe H

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2008, 09:30:24 am »
It all looks easy when you see these tv shopping channels or the infomercials advertising stain removers.
But when you analyse them, the stains are fresh, not months or even years old.
and what type of carpet fibre have they put the stain onto - thats a consideration too.

Problem is, the customer sees these commercials and thinks there is a liquid magic out there so it doesnt really matter what is spilt nor how long ago cause I can just ring some one up who says they do "stain removal" and hey presto its all done.

Never advertise stain removal - stain treatment is OK but always tell the customer BEFORE you start that whilst many stains come out, some will not.

alticry

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2008, 03:35:03 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice.

clinton

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2008, 06:16:13 pm »
Was in my customers house the other day and she had used a stain remover on her white wool carpet and it had gone a nice shade of yellow :o

spindle

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2008, 07:01:59 pm »
yea me too.nice white woollen rug.....few spills here and there........and then came the admission ffrom custy..........used m&s carpet stuff!!!

the result where the custy had used the cleaning agent......yellowish stains/burns remained after the clean...........
life is one big learning experience!!!!!!!

Paul Redden Countryfresh

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2008, 07:11:39 pm »
Pig of a stain

Tackled a nice bright pink medicine stain 1 hr old on a 80/20. She had a scrub before, it was well and truly set and dyed.
"So basically its a big vax!"