Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

absolutecleaning

Door knocking - whens best?
« on: August 30, 2008, 09:03:58 am »
I was going to go out this morning (10 - 1 maybe) and do some door to door sales.

Then the mrs gets up and insists that the weekend is the wrong time to do it as people want to chill out and not be bothered.  She thinks evenings during the weeek would be much better.

I think weekends are good as you are more likely to catch people in and during the week you are going to visit during peoples dinner / tea times.

What do you think?

Si

Ian Gourlay

Re: Door knocking - whens best?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 09:19:27 am »
At weekends it can b easier  as people are in their gardens washing cars and you can strike up a conversation before you move in for the kill

However you do come across aggresive types who hate sales people and even physically grab you by the collar and frog march you off their land.

Im 6 feet tall .

evenings 4 to six is quite good perhaps a little later  They are coming home Not sat down for tea etc

You should aim for at least 30contacts a session. Thats people you actually speak too

Do not come home to you have done this

At the End of the Week ie next Saturday I shall expect a report that you have made 200 contacts. Whoops forgot No Longer a Sales Manager

all I can say is good luck  And remember each No is  one closer to a YES

absolutecleaning

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 09:22:25 am »
Cheers Ian

I'm 6'6'' - I read somewhere that this should help in sales situations but sometimes I feel like I'm towering over people and they feel uncomfortable so I try to hang back from the doorway a bit.

Have you come across this before in your previous life?

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2008, 09:31:00 am »
Yes it can itimidate them a bit

Had to try with great difficulty to regrow my hair  as shaven look was a bit scary.

Actually it would be better if you stayed at home had a few coffees ets and send your wife out instead ;D ;D

But we must both go  off to do the easy bit a qoute

sherco

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2008, 09:31:13 am »
I would never door knock, i would put leaflets out but never knock on a door and ask if you want your carpets cleaned. I think it puts pressure on people, and they dont like that, if your delivering leaflets and the customer is outside washing there car etc then yes strike up a conversation before handing the a leaflet.
Natural stone floor restoration service.
Natural stone fixing and repairs.
www.poshstonefloors.co.uk

absolutecleaning

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2008, 09:40:53 am »
Yes I am delivering leaflets at the same time but sot of use the leaflet as a prop when knocking on the door and see if I can strike up a conversation.

If nothing else you at least know the person has to look at the leaflet on its way to the bin ;D

Aquakleen Restoration Services

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2008, 09:45:44 am »
One thing that I have rarely seen mentioned on this forum is market research that ends up with a sale/quotation.

Whats stopping you standing at a shopping centre say asking people 4 or 5 questions about carpet cleaning then at the end of the short questionaire asking them if they need anything doing in their home and if theres anything you can do to help? Surely this would be better than door knocking? That way you can chat to people first before going in with the kill?

Just a thought thats all....

John.

markpowell

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2008, 10:53:29 am »
Does anyone on here door knock, what response do you get from it?
Mark

garyj

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2008, 12:04:57 pm »
There was someone a few months ago who was going to send his mum out door knocking. She was used to this type of work but nothing else was ever posted about how she got on.

kinder clean

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2008, 01:34:55 pm »
When leaflet dropping in my area, almost all - and i'm not exagerating have some kind of WARNING sticker on the them stating WE DO NOT BUY FROM DOOR KNOCKERS or similar, I personally would not door knock, if you want face to face you need it to happen more naturally, say standing i nthe town centre and handing out leaflets with a quick few words as you do so.

Maybe stand outside the church on Sunday morning handing flyers to the congregation, at least they won't blaspheme at you!!  ;D

Robert Watson

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2008, 01:49:16 pm »
No Clinton, That was Alaster Darling this morning.
He`s ether got a very cunning plan or he`s lost it  ???
Rab.
The Kitchen Door Centre

Mike Halliday

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2008, 01:55:47 pm »
Everest Windows told their reps they had to be out door knocking at 7am every evening, If you remember years ago Everest used to have a advert on TV featuring the highest pub in England (on the top of the Pennines) it was always played at 7pm to coincide with their reps knocking on the door!!

Nobody minds people knocking at their door,  if you are saying something they want to hear ;)

I think the perfect time to knock is just after you finish a job then knock to apologize for making so much noise, and as a way of apologising give them a £10 discount voucher :D :D  after giving them the voucher always finish with the question; 'how are your carpet and upholstery looking at the moment?'
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

garyj

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 02:13:46 pm »

Out delivering leaflets I see lots of stickers saying they don't buy from the doorstep and no free papers, no leaflets etc, they are the best people to knock, seems they are so Lilly livered they cant say no  ;D

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2008, 03:19:17 pm »
Like Mike I got into it through Everest

Cant remember 7 oclock bit as I was expected to be pitching from 7pm to 2am

You took your Carpet Slippers as part of the pitch ;D ;D

There was a team in Cambridge who only worked Afternoons ( Day Time) their Prey was OAPs

Tough Life.

Then moved on to other products

There will be more in my book to be published in 2013

The Secret Diary Of A Door Knocker

Matt at Cleansmart  Supplies will give you the full stratergy

He sells bottles of spotters you knock at door giving customer Free Gift and then introduce yourself

Think they are reasonably priced.  Anyway the risk is no more than a Classified Advert for a Couple of Weeks

elliott cleaning

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2008, 08:04:32 pm »
"They had to be out door knocking at 7am every evening" ??? ::).  How did that work, Mike???

Mike Halliday

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 08:06:09 pm »
they got up early,(in the evening) :D :D

and gave everyone who answered the door croissants and coffee!!
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

elliott cleaning

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2008, 08:47:58 pm »
Nice one Mike ;D
"Everest Windows", must make a note of them.  Timewise they seem to have the working day in the right section

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2008, 10:09:05 am »

There will be more in my book to be published in 2013

The Secret Diary Of A Door Knocker

Ian, am I being paranoid, but would any knockers attached to uPVC or wooden doors actually have any secrets? ;D

The only knockers I know belong to women ;D and with their ability to gossip, sorry, share information, there would seem to be little scope for secrets. ;D

Or am I missing the points ;D ;D
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way

Doug Holloway

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2008, 10:37:47 am »
Hi Guys

When I first set up my CC business in London in 1982, my colleague and I went canvassing most evenings after work, say 5 - 7 and beween 10.30-12.30 on Saturdays.

Results varied but Saturday was on average the best.

Cheers

Doug

absolutecleaning

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 05:41:47 pm »
I went out Saturday in the end and again yesterday evening.

Saturday went to 90 properties and spoke to a total of 38 people.

Yesterday (4.30 - 6.00) went to just over 100 and only spoke to 18 people.

It doesnt really seem to work for carpet cleaning in my opinion - I got into 2 houses to quote but didnt close the sale on either and had a number of people who said they would phone at some point but you never know if they will or not.

On the positive side at least those 56 people I gave leaflets to face to face have now met me and, hopefully, will feel comfortable phoning should they see adverts etc in the future.

I also got 7 new window cleaning customers and 2 possible regular domestic cleans.

All in all worth it I think if you've no work on and the weathers ok!

Si

oh and only 1 who shut the door straight in my face :D