Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

RPCCS

Am I being greedy
« on: August 26, 2008, 06:30:47 pm »
Been doing this house for a while now, 18 windows 2 sets of patio doors and 1 full glass door, of these only 7  windows are not georgian . I've been charging £15 used to take 1 hour trad, now 40-45 mins wfp. Since my last visit they've had a huge conservatory put up 14 3x3ft approx windows, each with a smaller poening fanlight above and double patio doors ,can still access windows above with wfp, put in a price for £30, she says she'll get her husband to do them from now on as that price is too much. What d'you think am I too dear or is that a reasonable price, I think it is as the cons would have to be done trad cos there's no room to wfp it ?
Cheers Rich

simon123

Re: Am I being greedy
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 06:32:11 pm »
tell her if she pays in peanuts she will get a monkey
I am getting too old to be around people who  don't understand the concept of  loyalty and honesty.

NWH

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 06:44:27 pm »
Your not to expensive you were to cheap to begin with,this is the trouble with some jobs i had years ago.They have bits built on and when you put it up to what i should be in the first place they quibble,get the price right in the first place and you won`t have this problem.A job these days has to be very small IMO to do for less than £20 ie a shop,on nearly all houses if they get there windows cleaned for less than 20 quid there getting a bargain.

RPCCS

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 06:49:29 pm »
Thanks m8 your right there the average seems to be about £20/hr
Cheers Rich

matt

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 06:49:32 pm »
30 quid for a conserv, even if it is big, it'll only take 15 mins with WFP ( even if you take your time, its still only 30 mins )

15 mins for 30 quid, answer the "are you being greedy question " yourself

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 06:49:49 pm »
tell her if she pays in peanuts she will get a monkey
Love that saying and so true

NWH

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 06:56:17 pm »
30 quid for a conserv, even if it is big, it'll only take 15 mins with WFP ( even if you take your time, its still only 30 mins )

Job takes 30mins,pack up 5mins,some customers don`t stop talking 10mins,drive to next job anything from 10-20mins.In reality this happens so your £30 for 30mins work isn`t all it`s cracked up to be,don`t forget tomorrow you might get rained off aswell that makes your £30 seem like nothing.Your not just pricing for the individual job well i`m not anyway your pricing for everything from diesel to being rained off to holidays you name it,add all these things up if you`ve any sense it will reflect in your price.

NWH

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 06:58:03 pm »
More importantly your working for yourself to earn a PROFIT not just a living,if you want to earn just a living then you should be working for me lol. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

RPCCS

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 07:02:30 pm »

You mis understand me , the price was 30quid for the whole house , mot just the conservatory
Cheers Rich

tomy jackson

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 07:05:20 pm »
if cony Gos up then no mater how you price up its to much , when ther puting it up the bilder says look at all the xter muny youl make i say no thay think its free to wash ????????????????

Paul Coleman

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2008, 07:07:02 pm »
Been doing this house for a while now, 18 windows 2 sets of patio doors and 1 full glass door, of these only 7  windows are not georgian . I've been charging £15 used to take 1 hour trad, now 40-45 mins wfp. Since my last visit they've had a huge conservatory put up 14 3x3ft approx windows, each with a smaller poening fanlight above and double patio doors ,can still access windows above with wfp, put in a price for £30, she says she'll get her husband to do them from now on as that price is too much. What d'you think am I too dear or is that a reasonable price, I think it is as the cons would have to be done trad cos there's no room to wfp it ?

It would seem to the customer that you are now overcharging but this is because you were undercharging before.  I've had this problem before too.  I have a customer who moved to a much larger house (which also had a conservatory).  After the move, I went from £10 for the old house to £26 for the new one.  The new one is a pretty good price and the old one was underpriced.  After a couple of cleans, I agreed to drop to £24 but only because it was still a good price for me.  She was comparing the old house with the new one.  I did tell her that if I was pricing the old one now, it would be £13 - £14.  I suppose I am glad that she moved really :)

matt

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2008, 07:14:52 pm »

You mis understand me , the price was 30quid for the whole house , mot just the conservatory

oh fair enough, not being that greedy then

the house takes 45 mins, the conserv i guess will take 15 - 30 mins

its not that much of a greedy price when you look at it like that

WCE

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2008, 07:32:06 pm »
I dont think your being greedy!!! (hows the leg now btw?) The fact is that they have added a conservatory on so the price goes up. Personally I wouldn't be worried about losing them so I would say that the addition of the conservatory has added to the time per visit. Then I would explain that I priced the job at the rate I expected to earn. Now the risky bit. I would say to them that I doubt very much that they will find a cheaper quote in the area. If they "fall" for this I would just take my time and go nice and slow for a couple of months on the conservatory. At the same time (cos your wfp now) I would mention the conservatory roof and the fact that you can keep it in brand new "showroom condition". One of two things will happen then, they will ether drop you (in reality easy to replace) or they will accept the increase and get you to quote a price for the roof (Just charge a rate that is in relation to your w/c earnings - on the basis that it is a quarterly conservatory roof clean - the roof will never be really dirty- in this case the roofs are easy). How long they been customers? you say a while so at this point I would mention the economy and the increased costs of living since you quoted the original job (and mention the fact that you have not increased the price of the actual house to reflect this) and take it from there. Trust me, if they value your service they'll go for it!     
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

NWH

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2008, 07:36:34 pm »
A lot of the time i go on the customer,if i don`t like them within reason the price of the job dosen`t come into it.Once a pain always a pain in my experience and they don`t get any better they always want freebies and drop the odd comment like my god have you done them already etc,your better off without people like that.I want to turn up get done in my time ie the quickest get paid and go.

WCE

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2008, 07:43:06 pm »
Yes I would have to argree, If they are pains in the backside use this as your excuse to drop em!!!

RPCCS

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2008, 07:49:33 pm »
I dont think your being greedy!!! (hows the leg now btw?) The fact is that they have added a conservatory on so the price goes up. Personally I wouldn't be worried about losing them so I would say that the addition of the conservatory has added to the time per visit. Then I would explain that I priced the job at the rate I expected to earn. Now the risky bit. I would say to them that I doubt very much that they will find a cheaper quote in the area. If they "fall" for this I would just take my time and go nice and slow for a couple of months on the conservatory. At the same time (cos your wfp now) I would mention the conservatory roof and the fact that you can keep it in brand new "showroom condition". One of two things will happen then, they will ether drop you (in reality easy to replace) or they will accept the increase and get you to quote a price for the roof (Just charge a rate that is in relation to your w/c earnings - on the basis that it is a quarterly conservatory roof clean - the roof will never be really dirty- in this case the roofs are easy). How long they been customers? you say a while so at this point I would mention the economy and the increased costs of living since you quoted the original job (and mention the fact that you have not increased the price of the actual house to reflect this) and take it from there. Trust me, if they value your service they'll go for it!     
SHe's already told me not to bother any more, the ankle is fine now thanks , been back at work 2 months now,still a bit of back ache now and then but not too bad
Cheers Rich

Dale Smith

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2008, 07:55:01 pm »
They had a bargain from you for a long time RPWC, you are better off without them. The price you quoted is fair.
Shame Stan the Man had not got in touch earlier..... you could have quoted her £25.... maybe got the job & got Stan the Man to do it...... and pocketed £5..... ;D
Swindon, Wiltshire.

WCE

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2008, 07:55:51 pm »
Glad to hear the ankle is ok!!! If  she has already got rid then I wouldn't worry about it- you didn't overcharge her and it seems she's just a tight ass!!! She paid at LEAST £5000 for that conservatory yet she wont pay an extra £180 per year to maintain it - her loss. Move on and replace the tight cow!!!

Londoner

« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2008, 08:15:13 pm »
Theres no such thing as the right price for a job.

There is what the customer will pay and there is what you would like to get.

These know it all people who (according to them) never get a price wrong are living in a fantasy world.

Get what you can, when you can, thats all anybody can ever do. Pricing is like guesswork at the best of times.

« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2008, 08:18:36 pm »
Yes i'd have buckled, £25 and longer frequency.

I thought you a bit slow. 20 windows plus cons 25min