Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Re: High Risk, Have you Fallen
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2005, 09:40:37 pm »
Ian_Giles,

I see you're claiming you're 48 on a different thread to this.  If that's true, you ought to see a doctor mate.

As for Simon Glendenning,  he still suffers with his ankles from that fall.

As for myself; my ladders slipped from under me during my first year of window cleaning.  My own extremely stupid mistake - I had them at a dodgy angle - cleaning the window above a porch.  I was too lazy to put them at a better angle ABOVE the window(which would've worked), or to ask Wor Lass to foot them.  They were also an abused domestic set - my first.

Luckily, I'm a Geordie; so was okay - not even a scratch.

I explained to Wor Lass, who was very shocked at seeing me bounce off the ground, that it was my army parachute training that saved me.

She asked why, in that case was I trembling so much!

rosskesava

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2005, 09:43:53 pm »
I've never fallen and I want to keep it that way. The day we go over to WFP's (this year I hope) won't be a day to soon.

Having said that, I now only do all the ground floor work as I'm a bit on the short side (5' 8") and have a short reach. All I ever use is a 7' A frame ladder which is a lot more stable.

We have a 20 year old who does all the top of rung stuff and my b*lls come up through my mouth when I sometimes watch him. I used to do that and I'm glad I don't now. It scares me. I'd do it if I had to but I wouldn't like doing it. Maybe I'm getting old.

Early last year we picked up a lot of work in one area because the window cleaner 'just stopped calling'. We found out later that he'd died from a brain tumour which appeared a few months after he'd had a fall from the top of a single section ladder which required an overnight stay in hospital. I don't know if the two are related though but his fall was enough for him to pack up being a w/c (I think) straight away.

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2005, 10:26:21 pm »
Rosskesavawhatsit,

I'm hoping to take on an employee in the next year or so, so would be interested to know on what terms and conditions of employment do you give to your twenty-year-old?

Does he not get resentfull that he does all the ladder work?  I work with my missis and constantly rib her for refusing to carry a ladder about; although she will climb up it if I put it in place (for example to get over a garage).

rosskesava

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2005, 11:32:22 pm »
Hi windows_chepstow

We employed the 20 year old on the basis that that was his job. Being a very small business of 2 full time employees in total (according to the Inland Revenue people or what ever their name is now) we are exempt from employment rules especially as he is employed for under 20 or so weeks a year.

Basically, if he don't like it, tough and good bye but we have an all round agreement as to payment and he is happy with it. He is well paid for his work and we are happy to pay it.

He is self employed ( he has his own window cleaning work when not with us) and works upto or less than 16 hours a week. We use him when needed. Some weeks he is not needed.

He also claims some 'working tax credits' or something but that is his own business. I don't ask to much. All I make sure is we are legitimate.

What ever anyone says, the tax people are very helpfull in this regard and I really recommend asking them about it. They are not the monsters that they are portrayed as being. They gave us excellant information about what was ok and what was not.

Cheers

Ross

rosskesava

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2005, 12:41:44 am »
hi again windows_chepstow

Thanks to you my wife now calls me rosskesavawhatsit.

Sometimes shortened to 'whatsit'.

A big thanks.  :-[

Duke

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2005, 06:20:03 pm »
lol......

rosskesava

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2005, 12:05:06 am »
Now my daughters (13, 16, and 18) are calling me 'whatsit'.

windows_chepstow .............................. ::)

And Duke - it's fine for you to lol. I'm in a house full of women. :-[

Duke

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2005, 09:32:58 am »
I can sympathise with that Ross, I grew up in one...Grandmother, Mother and 3 Sisters......(though it worked out fine in later life...almost understanding the inner workings of a Woman's mind)......

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2005, 10:14:51 am »
Sorry Rosskevwatsit,

Tangent time!

Is that a Polish name?  I've known a few poles and they all had names like 'Andropopodovz', or something similar and daft.

They normally get nick-names 'A to Zed' or 'K to Zed' depending on which letter their name starts with.

So where does your name come from?

It's 'hissing down' here, so we're having a sneaky day off.  Phillip Hanson has e-mailed me asking for photos of my Missis for his magazine.  I'm not sure why; I thought he wanted his magazine to be 'professional'.

Having some lady from Pontypool in his mag won't do much for the image.

I've a few rude ones somewhere that I'll e-mail him. 

matt

« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2005, 10:54:55 am »
you got to watch Philip, he will be after it for his other mag

didnt he mention he runs a "wife swap - swinging mag" aswell  ;D ;D ;D

for the record

'working tax credits' is paid to people who earn money legit, its a sliding scale, the more you earn the less you can claim, of course it has a top scale where you get nothing

its a idea to help people who want to work and not just sit on the sofa all day claiming dole

in my opinion its a good scheme

matt

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2005, 10:55:37 am »
oh before any1 doesnt spot the joke

Philip doesnt have another mag  ::)

« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2005, 12:14:49 pm »
Shame about the wife swapping mag being a joke.

I'd love to swap Helen.

Anyone give me an old set of light trade ladders for her - or a few used scrims?