Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

carlton care

Re: Where can u get Carpet cleaning training
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2008, 08:41:49 am »
Dave

As far as I can see, you want a course on how to safely clean carpets, get a good understanding of the various methods of doing so, the machines to use, the products to use and an understanding of the way to avoid the pitfalls.

Don't think such a comprehensive course exists. If it did, it would take abouit four days to deliver. But !

For the technical side and the actual qualification, you will get this by completing ( and passing ) the IICRC courses of which there are many.

For hands on, there are a number of those run by the NCCA, eg, they recently had a stain removing course.

I've attended many over the years, but a friend recently spent two days at Ashby's on reckoned it was an excellent practical course, with plenty hands on.

Most of what you need to know will come from experience and there are two things you must avoid,

Overwetting, which is very common with hwe machines, best practice, is to prespray with a product which will release the soil from the fibres, some need aggitating, followed by rinsing the soil laden prespray from the fibres. Simple really, but, if you move too slowly, or fail to release the trigger before you get to the end of the back stroke, or keep the trigger up on the forward stroke, too much water will go down.

Overstrength prespray.............follow the instructions, spray a mist on to the carpet, it's not the same as cleaning pathways.  Some chemicals need aggitating to work effectively, others need a few minutes dwell time.

You can rinse with only water in the tank, but with so many chemicals added to our tap water a small ammount of acid rinse gives some security against colour runs.

There are a number of powerful portables which will do 99% of what you come across, t/m's have more power, but less flexibility.

As I said that is the basic information, but a couple of days at Ashby's or Alltec or Prochem would be beneficial.

Have fun

robert m

« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2008, 10:01:18 am »
yep thats what I need, probably stick with ashbys as cant stand traveling to surrey or hertfordshire.

Dave

Goldfinch PCS

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2008, 09:04:07 pm »
NCCA in Leceister - 0116 271 9550

Alltec in Fowlmere

Contact Alltec on 0800 695 0222 they will send you a training course details there are not courses during August.

NCCA courses are non bias to chemical and machine retailers, however all the major retailers send there machines to the training for you to try and examin.

Alltec - some courses are like prochem and chemspecs you are trained using their machines and chemicals.  However, the IICRC courses at Alltec are non bias.

Remember if you do a NCCA course you will only be accepted as a NCCA member if you choose to join, you cannot become a IICRC member by joining or doing the NCCA course. If you do the IICRC course then you can gain membership to both the NCCA and the IICRC, however I did find the NCCA course to be a bit more in depth. The IICRC membership is £100 see NCCA for there price. If you do the NCCA course you could get a special price for your first year membership. I didn't tell you that bit, ok). You will need to have appropriate insurance to gain  membership make sure you get risk treatment cover, try this company McGregor Lloyd Ltd, 0121 706 0616, they know exactly what you need I found them to be the most helpful and they provided the right cover.
Goldfinch PCS
0800 612 9244
LTT PROmite(Altec) Member of - IICRC
www.goldfinchpcs.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2008, 10:12:03 pm »
the best training you can get is from accompanying a carpet cleaner for 2-3 days, going into customers house and cleaning carpets, plus you learn more about the business while travelling in the van between jobs.

Mossie once talked about a mentoring scheme, this is the way to go.

imagine spending an hour in Allied Carpets with an experienced carpet cleaner just examining carpets, you'll soon know the difference between a Wilton and a Berber.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2008, 06:41:37 am »
thanks lads for all the kind advice you have given and thank for takin the time to respond.

I read all the posts you have sent. I will soon be attending a few courses.

cheers

Dave

FiberReviver

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2008, 10:39:23 pm »
Paul Moss Dave Lihona both great teachers
WELL I NEVER !!!! WELL MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE