This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

WCE

Re: Why isnt my resin lasting ??? with pics
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 06:29:05 pm »
Thats was what I was thinking If the tds is 10 or 50 the resin should be able to bring the water down to zero but it just wouldn't last as long. As Tim said 16 out the ro should be fine so imo it points to the resin, As I said earlier DI only set ups cope with water with a higher tds than that and DI only users would certainly expect to get more than 450l before the tds started rising. Otherwise their costs would be through the roof. You mentioned you got it off Alex G maybe he might know. If your reading this Alex then please advise! Failing that try ROman tomorrow the ro is one of his units maybe he knows what the problem could be.
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

MNWC

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 06:32:24 pm »
would it be wise to get two more membranes ??

WCE

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 06:34:01 pm »
Sorry didn't notice you had posted again Andrew. Is that right? The reason I ask is he wasn't getting the problem before it just seems to be now, Although the tds from the RO is higher than before is that difference in TDS  enough to make such a difference to the resin? 
WCE- For Windows that shine everytime!

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 07:04:44 pm »
Don't you just love it when RO's play up  :(

There can be nothing more frustrating. As Andrew has pointed out it could be a sudden surge in input TDS that has quickly shot the DI.

Another thing to look at is whether the second DI insert is properly seated/the seal ring not damaged in the canister as this could be allowing water through un-treated.

The other point is the TDS meter could be wrong (unlikely but you never know, mine has just died after 7 years! I think it needs new batteries).

Try checking the output from your RO again is it still 23 or has it gone back down?

MNWC

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 07:15:23 pm »
its all turned off now as i have enough for tomorrow ill get it going and let you know......back in a bit......

MNWC

« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2008, 07:35:04 pm »
Right   Out of RO 016 out of first DI (blue one) 012 out os second DI (clear one) 010  :-[

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2008, 07:37:11 pm »
It is looking like you have had a duff lot of water through the systems which has spent your resin quickly, either that or the second filter housing is letting water past the resin insert.

MNWC

« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 07:40:18 pm »
its brand new from cleaning spot  what do i look out for 

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2008, 07:50:59 pm »
Hm, do they come in cartridges or just normal fill it yourself? Because something is wrong with them, no doubt, wether it's resin is spent, or like Alex said, the seal isn't proper.

Personally Marcus, I think a proper DI vessel would get you a lot further.

MNWC

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2008, 07:53:23 pm »
fill it myself

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2008, 08:12:42 pm »
its brand new from cleaning spot  what do i look out for 

Unscrew it, have a look at the seals top and bottom of the insert. Are they there?  Is there any damage on them?  Are they seated properly?  It should be fairly obvious if there is a problem.

d s windowcleaning

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2008, 10:03:51 pm »
marcus im using the same type ro unit as you are and have had a problem same last year i ended up covering my windows to prevent sunlight going direct on to the membrane chambers , looking at your photo it looks like you could be getting sunlight on yours . it worked for me so give it a go .
where theres muck theres money

[GQC] Tim

« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2008, 11:50:37 pm »
marcus im using the same type ro unit as you are and have had a problem same last year i ended up covering my windows to prevent sunlight going direct on to the membrane chambers , looking at your photo it looks like you could be getting sunlight on yours . it worked for me so give it a go .

That's not the problem though, the RO works beautifully, it's what happens after the RO.

tonylee

« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2008, 08:29:18 pm »
hi
when you fill the di do you pack it in or leave any room in it.
ie. if you shake the canister can you hear it move around.
tony

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2008, 08:37:36 pm »
hi
when you fill the di do you pack it in or leave any room in it.
ie. if you shake the canister can you hear it move around.
tony

Ideally you should only fill the canister to about the 3/4 level.  It also helps if every day or so you give the DI vessel a good shake to agitate the resin beads.

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2008, 09:42:07 am »
I have probably used more resin than most people and can tell you it is pretty reliable no matter what you throw at it.

My guess is you have the wrong type of resin ie an intermediate one, or the RO was letting untreated water through for a while.

We get brown water now and again and suprisingly the tds is exactly the same as what it normally is,To get a surge in input tds there has to be some major catastrophe somewhere not just a broken main.

if you have to shake your DI it is pretty much exhausted anyway.

To start with i would change the resin in the last vessil (the one with 10 tds) and see what happens

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2008, 09:51:05 am »
Just looked at the photos, your di vessils look tiny , they just dont look big enough to me even with an input of 16.

If i used one at 18 litre (36 times that size) it would only last about 2-3 weeks before it starded to rise with an input tds of 70, so i suspect yours would only last a few days anyway.