This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

Re: Went to price a job today
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2008, 04:43:28 pm »
If your round is full then you can call the shots.

FWIW I price myself at £35/£40 ph on new stuff.

But... if someone wants my services for a full day (max 8 hrs inc breaks and lunch) I'd aim for £250 but might give myself up for £225.

£85 is a laff - £350 is adventurous - for me.
It's a game of three halves!

chrismroberts

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2008, 05:10:42 pm »
Where ARE all these enormous houses everyone talks about... my largest account is £70... and that is the largest house I've seen around here....

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2008, 06:43:35 pm »
at £350 a day you want to think about getting yourself an agent

why?

Kev R

« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2008, 07:10:57 pm »
£350 a day for a full on commercial day - office block etc  fine but £350 for a house is just taking the P.  I price my self for non- commercial at £35 per hour. Most bark at that and I live in a good area. I have many "portfolio" customers and they give me masses of extras. Today I have been pressure washing one of my customers drives, It took 7.5 hours with their regular windows clean. (£60 a pop for windows) and I charged them £262.50 for the day. They fed me tea all day and some really nice sarnies for lunch. When I left I had had a good day, earned a bloody good wage, and done a excellent job without rushing, and best of all they were made up. This customer has given me over £1200 worth of extras this year alone. Most of my customers pay me a premium because I always do a excellent job. News travels and I have been referred many times all to customers with big houses.

At £350 I would not have got a look in. There is expensive and just plain greedy. £350 a day for domestic customers is Bad business.  If you can get £350 a day you must be bloody good or a chancer thats all I can say!  ;) mind you you didnt get it this time so I guess your the loser not the customer  ;)

Rogue Trader

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 07:19:56 pm »
I agree with your pricing Alex , 1 1/2 times for insides is spot on and £1 for downstairs and £1.50 for upstairs windows is also fine (if not a little low) - i am in the same area as you (SE) If the bloke had that many windows then that is how many windows he had. When someone has more windows than someone else why should your window price go down ...... ok there maybe a £4 front only merchant who may take it on and be killing himself for next to nothing but unfortunately that is what we are up against. Keep your prices and move on.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 07:25:08 pm »
i wanted sympathy form you lot,  :'(

well it depends really, since going wfp ive got faster and i have earned more because of it, and my prices are still the same, so you cant blame me really for getting quick,

and they are not a loyal customer like some i have, and it didn't matter if i got the job, (but i feel weird i didnt get it) but if you think im craning my neck to do a con roof for 2 hours, and i should charge a normal day rate to do it, and lets be honest, my normal days i have got use to the work load, its not as hard,
and to go a do that job would be harder, it deserve to earn more

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2008, 07:44:19 pm »
You've got a point there, i advertise as window cleaning and conservatory cleaning and if i got enough windowcleaning work i would happily remove the conservatory cleaning logos as windows are sooo easy!

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2008, 08:42:37 pm »
 :o I would never get that down here in SE Kent

My friend and I cleaned what I believe to be the Largest house around...

In and Out all day £350... £175 each OK it was 6yrs or so ago...but we were lucky to get that!
He only wanted to pay £100 each!  :o

Times change, prices go up!
I just feel that if you charge too much, someone will undercut you!  :(

Interest rates are on the increase... ask yourself what will go first...YOU or the TOYS
 ::)  ::)  ::)

Rob_Mac

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2008, 09:07:43 pm »
Heres my opinion

There will be many people charging an average price, there will be a few who will charge more than them and there will be one or two who will charge prices that will seem to be double or even treble the going average.

The person charging three times more than the average price may be no better in any of his dealings, he may not be a better cleaner, may not leave a better end product, he may be no more articulate and he may have no more etiquette than the average, there may be no other window cleaners capable or willing to clean at this level in his area

He may have a full book and putting in high prices because he isn't worried about not getting the work
He may be confident in his ability to offer a superior service
He may have that likeability factor
He may have charm and persuasion on his side

No one can specifically say what allows one person to charge much more than others, it may be one thing, it may be many things - I personally applaud people that don't run with the herd and people that aren't restrained by the going rate.

Whatever will be said on this post I believe that when you have some or all of the above you shine with confidence and that confidence is infectious and people want your service and your confidence allows you to charge your worth.

£350.00 for one days work is broken down to about £35.00 per hour - whats wrong with wanting to earn that.

Some of us may not have ever seen that income hour after hour - day in day out but it is out there and people are achieving it.

Window cleaning is a cash rich business and I read posts last week about window cleaners cleaning conservatories where the householder already had a window cleaner but did not want to clean the conservatory.

Not everyone wants the work and not everyone can clean well so with a conservatory costing anything from £2000.00 up to £20.000 and more - it is an extremely valuable extension of the property and if cleaning them is marketed properly then this should be the normal price to charge.

I applaud you for valuing your time and your service so highly - well done that man - I believe you are an example that others ought to try and emulate.

People will say I can't get that sort of pricing round here - that is easy - set yourself apart from the average window cleaner and market your service better than theirs, offer a better quality service and there is no reason why you cannot be making that sort of money.

Rob ;D

Kev R

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2008, 09:22:10 pm »
Heres my opinion

£350.00 for one days work is broken down to about £35.00 per hour - whats wrong with wanting to earn that.

Rob ;D

Fine for a 10 hour working day, but dont forget your lunch and breaks and chats are on your time not the customers. 10 hours solid work, thats what I would charge but he's talking £43.75 for an 8 hour day.

Most people would tell you to take a walk...oh they did...I rest my case  ;)

Rob_Mac

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2008, 09:28:23 pm »
Your missing the point - what I am saying is to elevate your business above the average and to offer services to a more eclusive client base then there is no reason why this cannot be achieved.

I did this in an area where the average window cleaner was charging £4.00 per house - so I think I know it can be achieved. It is all about the right approach and the other factors to back it up.

The people that always knock it are the ones that cannot get there or anywhere near the prices stated.

Rob ;D

Kev R

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2008, 09:38:11 pm »
My business in almost 100% commercial, I clean windows most days rain or shine, I earn extremely good money. I have elevated my business and have some impressive contracts. However every trade has its price. And £350 a day for a one man band is excessive for domestic work as he found out by not getting the job.

£350 to make a day on several contracts is easily achievable, but on one job especially domestic ,people just wont wear it.

Its all about appearing to be competitive and offer good value. Maybe this is why I like commercial and not domestic?

Rob_Mac

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2008, 09:45:36 pm »
My business is now solely with Sainsburys PLC - nationally,  I have sold my residential window cleaning for a staggering amount of money that has all been reinvested in our commercial work and I regularly charged handsomely on residential work.

If you want to go head to head I will win on stats - that is not the point and you are entitled to your opinion but it is wrong.

This level is not for everyone, because of this it is a niche market and therefore the price will be according

Kev R

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2008, 09:51:04 pm »
My business is now solely with Sainsburys PLC - nationally,  I have sold my residential window cleaning for a staggering amount of money that has all been reinvested in our commercial work and I regularly charged handsomely on residential work.

If you want to go head to head I will win on stats - that is not the point and you are entitled to your opinion but it is wrong.

This level is not for everyone, because of this it is a niche market and therefore the price will be according

Sainsburys soley... good luck they change their window cleaners like most change their underware... that makes huge business sense...LOL

But your not talking one man band are you  ;) There is a massive difference  ;)

Rob_Mac

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2008, 09:57:54 pm »
We don't clean windows  - we clean the whole store - everything from the roof down to the drainage - some people are not interested in accepting good advice and admitting when they are wrong - I wish you well with your nose to the grind stone.

As far as security in the decisions I have made - rolling refurbishment programme - every five years - its like a boys club where everyone earns big but has to put a lot in. You don't try to muscle in it is by invite only.

I sleep well at night knowing that I have seized opportunities and developed my business above the average.

I don't want to detract from the post so good luck

Rob ;D

Kev R

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2008, 10:05:20 pm »
Very nice...I have some impressive clients too... unfortunately at this stage I still have to graft on the little stuff.  However I am just about to go VAT registered and I have been trading for 14 months!!!   Well see what happens this year  ;)

Rob_Mac

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2008, 10:07:59 pm »
I like the bottom website- what work do you do for Carillion

Rob ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2008, 10:20:01 pm »
Kev

How many staff have you got ?

WayneThomas

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2008, 10:47:42 pm »
I encourage and promote all WFP window cleaners to charge high prices on domestics as the normal. Makes it easier to obtain quotes at reasonably high prices as the customers are aware of the realistic prices window cleaners are charging nowadays.
Gaining quotes is realising what is an acceptible price the customer is willing to pay.
Too many window cleaners undervalue themselves and lack the confidence to price high which helps to keep the majority of window cleaners working for less then they value themsleves.

Kev R

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2008, 11:38:52 pm »
I like the bottom website- what work do you do for Carillion

Rob ;D

I have a full maintenance contract for 25 years