Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

elliott cleaning

Re: how much should we charge?
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2008, 12:35:35 am »
Having a limited vocabulary, could Shaun elaborate on what he understands the word "scromping" to mean

Jason Hedges

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2008, 02:10:04 am »
I think scrompimg means scraping barrels which in turns equates to getting the best deal on everything possible...

Including chems and everything else associated with our buniness...

I'm the same, although probably not as good as Shaun as he's been in the business longer.

Still learning though ;D

Chris R

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2008, 09:47:47 am »
Below I have cut and pasted a topic that I posted on here a few years ago.    :)

In this trade its easy  to fall into the trap of thinking that you are making more money than you actually are.

You do a days work and turnover £200 or £300, the chemical costs may only be £5, plus your fuel cost, so you “feel” that you have made a big profit.

But it can be very interesting to work out your true NET PROFIT!

Get your last set of accounts out and make a note of the Total Expenditure amount ( the total of all of your costs, Chemicals, adverts, van and machine cost, telephone etc)

Then divide your total expenditure amount by your turnover.

This will give you the percentage that your total costs are in relation to your turnover.

The results can be surprising.

So, for example,

Expenditure = £10,000  divided by turnover of £50,000 = (0.2) = 20% costs

So if you turnover £50,000 in a year, but it costs you £10,000 to run the business, then for every £100 that you turnover, £20 is actually gone to cover your running costs.

So that £300 days work actually cost you £60 in costs !

That’s a bit more than most people would have guessed ?

On top of that you need to also deduct your years income tax bill ( not included in your business expenditure).

Examples.

Expenditure £10,000 – turnover £30,000 = 33.37%  or £33.37 out of every £100 you earn

Exp £10,000 – T/O £40,000 = 25%   ( £25 out of every £100 you T/O )

Exp 10,000 – T/O £50,000 = 20%

Exp 10,000 – T/O £60,000 = 16%

Or

Exp £13,000 – T/O £40,000 = 32.5%          £32.50 out of every £100 you T/O)

Exp £13,000 – T/O £50,000 = 26%

Exp £13,000 – T/O £60,000 = 21%

Work out yours, you WILL be surprised !

Cheers

Chris

Staffordshire

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2008, 10:22:31 am »
I use Dock leaves on my feet as I don't want to wear out my 'Sunday shoes' but getting back to the thread, Chris is correct he obviously does his homework! and that is why we should be charging better rates, I bet there are a few on here that are working for far less than they originally thought BUT there are 2 things to add.

1.(as Mike says) get your tax bill down legally by putting in all of your outgoings (hunt round B+Q carparks for stray reciepts ;D)

2.use your gross money (I know talking money is gross) and make it work for you, we get paid in many instances upfront before we settle up with our suppliers so it's a free over draft.

At the end of the day it's the money in your pocket that counts.

Shaun

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2008, 10:27:47 am »
The principals behind Mike's, and others, business model is sound. This or that figure may vary a little for individuals as already discussed.

But it's not the only business model. I'll use myself as an example.

My turnover is considerably lower than many here. But I'm in a blessed position. I don't need to advertise, but I choose to do what I call Community Advertising. It covers it's costs (barely) but I don't expect a return. I use the NCCA Corporate Advertising facility in Yellow Pages.  This is for the benefit of regular customers who've lost my number. Total advertising costs <£300 pa.

My borrowings: Nil
My overall business expenses: Low
My Mortgage: Nil
My turnover: relatively low.
Now the important one. My disposable income: High

Am I happy with my personal circumstances? Definately yes.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

lands

« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2008, 10:32:31 am »
Lend us a fiver Ken ;D

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2008, 11:10:39 am »
You won't get far an a fiver Pete.

Probably get from Birmingham to Stratford-upon Avon before your tank runs dry ;)

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

liahona

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2008, 11:16:37 am »
Ken, I'll have the fiver then.  It will run my truckmount for an hour, so it will make me a couple of hundred quid and I can pay you back quick and with interest

Best, Dave.

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2008, 03:12:10 pm »
Now the important one. My disposable income: High

If you have a turn over of say £40k a year and your business expenditure is say £5k that's a taxable profit of £35k with little out goings you may have say £25k left over but who's to say that disposable income is high?

That's down to the individual.

The Führer and I have 3 businesses with a turnover of £250k, yes we have loads of out goings the % profit is lower than Ken's but I think she may have more disposable profit.

Politicians are also good at massaging the figures but it depends on how you read them.

Shaun

Mike Halliday

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2008, 04:23:42 pm »
when people say its  profit not takings that's important this not entirely true.  a lot of business expenses crossover and benefit our personal lives.

EG; although we spend £5k on motoring expenses how many of us use our company van for personal reasons & how many of us claim our mobile phone bill through our business? do you never use it for personal calls?

So if you earn £50,000 and have expenditure of £45000 you have only £5,000 for yourself,  are you saying you lifestyle is the same as a labourer earning £5k a year?.

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2008, 04:36:20 pm »
I'm really hoping once you get established the costs start to be a smaller proportion. Once you have your key kit, and you are getting people coming back or referring you it's got to be far easier on the wallet.

The biggest investment for most is marketing but it is an investment the comes back many fold.

Ian Rochester

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2008, 05:17:55 pm »
Not always, invest in the wrong type of marketing and you could be throwing money down the drain, we have all done and it's hard to know which is the best advertising until you've tried it.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2008, 05:45:21 pm »
Hi Guys

One of the big advantages newcomers to CC have is they can, through this forum,  learn from the mistakes of the established guys so less money is wasted.

It takes a quite a number of years to establish a CC business but it's good to be your own boss and in charge of your destiny.

It is better in my view to charge reasonable prices and spend more on advertising than to be cheap.

Cheers

Doug

mark_roberts

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2008, 06:11:49 pm »
Interesting reading. 

As the business experts keep telling us you need to have reason for being in business and then plan to meet those goals.  Too many of us never plan, have no idea of the true cost of running a business and no wonder why we never make the 'big' money.  It amazes me people on here think their making money making £30 an hour.

I agree that the more you make the more you spend and you have to spend it to make it.

Mark

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2008, 07:04:38 pm »
Your old Mother used to say "don't spend more than you earn" and it' true.

Shaun

david washbrook

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2008, 07:13:24 pm »
thats cause you could never spend everything you earn shaun  ;D

Len Gribble

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2008, 08:02:48 pm »
My grandmother (Irish wished she was Welsh) and mother always said Mums the word and get a good accountant last year I ran at loss what a bummer bank still loves me  ::)

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2008, 08:23:47 pm »
How can you possibly set up a business and not spend more than you earn? If you can I'd really like to know what it is.

And there's a big difference between going out and buying a 42" flatscreen on tick and spending the same on a decent marketing campaign.

I don't think it matters what someones reasons are for being in business, what's important is you revisit the reason WHY regularly and adapt them to your needs otherwise you will loose motivation.

davep

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2008, 08:35:13 pm »
I think there is a big gap between cc's working full time at it, and some who do it for a few extra quid..

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2008, 02:48:50 pm »
I work for pennies!

Shaun