Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

LTT Leathercare

Re: pen on leather
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2008, 04:32:00 pm »
Do you mean pigments or dyes?
Water based pigments are much better/easier  to use than solvent ones and a lot more consumer friendly.
http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

jouk45

« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2008, 04:39:27 pm »
the name term is tainters, i do everything rolls ferraries porche, upholstery, since i turned to this product 10 years ago, i have never had any problems, and no top coat needed, yes water based

*paul_moss

« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2008, 04:58:11 pm »
Here we go again  ::)

250ml of product seems like an awful lot to do a repair of this size.  We can change the colour of  a whole panel with 150ml BRIT.  Smaller sizes ie. 50ml are the usual size for repairs

Judy I said you will need to get 250ml made up not use 250ml.As we tend to use Furniture clinics match and the smallest volume is 250ml.

The key with this sort of repair is to put as little product on as possible to do the repair.  When too much product is used that is when it looks very different to the rest of the suite.

True Judy least amount is always best practice  ::) ::) however wether you use a bit or alot the repaired area will always look brighter, hence feathering in as advised.

Doing whole areas other than just the area that needs repairing could lead to all sorts of added problems and on these quilted patterns each section would need doing individually as if you spray the whole area the stitching will also be coloured and this will look very different to the rest of the suite and any pigment that bleeds into the pleated areas will with most products stick the pleats together.

Doing any size area Judy can lead to problems, but if prepared correctly you will have no problems.
And Mike looking at the second picture you should not need to go near the stiching.
Even if you do there is a way around this  ;)
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk
REMOVED FOR POSTING OFFENSIVE MATERIAL

*paul_moss

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2008, 05:07:28 pm »
the name term is tainters, i do everything rolls ferraries porche, upholstery, since i turned to this product 10 years ago, i have never had any problems, and no top coat needed, yes water based

Jouk have you got more info on these as I have not yet come across a pigment that does not need a top coat. Pigments will usually wear off in a short period of time if not topcoated, especially on front areas of car seats.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2008, 05:13:19 pm »
These are called 'bonded pigments' and have been around for quite a long time.  They are great for doing touch up repairs as they have a finish and adhesion agent in them. 

AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

*paul_moss

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2008, 05:19:26 pm »
These are called 'bonded pigments' and have been around for quite a long time.  They are great for doing touch up repairs as they have a finish and adhesion agent in them. 

I have tried this myself, but have found that the longevity not as good as straight pigment and then finish application.

Also Judy whay actually is Brit, as nobody seans to know?
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

jouk45

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2008, 05:26:59 pm »
hi paul, you dont need any topcoat at all, thats what i liked about it, no need to spray it either, wipe on with a sponge leaves no streaks, but i still spray the final coat,  i will email you the company later paul as i need to go out

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2008, 05:46:07 pm »
Mike

When you have carried out this repair will you post what you did and used.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2008, 05:59:55 pm »
yes I'll post the result, I've got it booked in next friday will send of the leather sample on tuesday, get dye by thursday.

Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2008, 06:06:43 pm »
Mike
LTT supply matched pigment in much smaller quantities than 250ml.  We can do 50ml of either BRIT or bonded pigment.

Paul
BRIT is a complete system for recolouring leather that we use at LTT and is the best system we have found in the last 20 years.  It can be used for touch up repairs and full recolouring/restoration.
LTT are the only UK distributors for these products.
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

Mike Halliday

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2008, 06:08:45 pm »
how much? :) :)

mike

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2008, 06:09:59 pm »
Depends which one you want. Don't forget you will use far less product with the BRIT system.  What are you paying at the moment?
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

*paul_moss

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2008, 06:12:14 pm »
250ml matched is £12.50

Judy you dont have trade prices on you web site?
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

Roger Koh

« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2008, 02:01:53 am »
“the customer managed to remove it with some jif  ”.

Question 1
Unilever Jif Cream Regular has a pH value of 10 – 11 (1% solution)
Share with us how you would prepare the naked leather crust surface to neutralize the high alkaline exposure.

“prepare the serface, spray it with a dye, then spray it with a top coat, easy”.

Question 2
Why spray it with a dye?

Roger Koh
IICRC #942 Certified
Leather Cleaning Technician
Master Textile Cleaner
Master Fire & Smoke Restorer
Journeyman Water Restorer
www.f.com

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2008, 07:33:47 am »
Roger I think the terms 'dye' and 'pigment' are often confused on here as being the same thing.
For those who want to know the difference a 'dye' soaks into the leather and is used for recolouring aniline style leathers and a 'pigment' is a colour that sits on the surface.

In this case a pigment would be used which is what is being discussed here. 
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

Mike Halliday

« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2008, 07:41:38 am »
Roger I would think your questions are rhetorical as I would believe you already know the answers, if they are  rhetorical then you are just making yourself look like a know-it-all smartiepants.

rather than making your first point (that Jif may have left the leather with a high Ph residue) as a question it would have been better to just say 'jif might leave a high PH residue on the leather'  then inform us what course of action to take to solve the problem.

as for 'why use a dye', obviously you are again using this as an opportunity to show us what a clever bloke you are so why not tell me where I'm going wrong by 'spraying it with a dye'

*****ltt posted as I was typing********

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2008, 07:56:34 am »
Agree with your comments Mike
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

*paul_moss

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2008, 08:00:29 am »
Judy are you going to share LTT trade prices with us?
By email would be fine.
Paul Moss  MBICSc
www.mosscleaning.co.uk

FiberReviver

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2008, 10:33:42 pm »
Furniture clinic share their prices with us why don't Ltt is it a secret like the Brit system. I have watched with interest but it seems to be very hard to get a straight answer. Regards Freddie
WELL I NEVER !!!! WELL MAYBE ONCE OR TWICE

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2008, 10:45:51 pm »
We make no secrets of any of our prices or products.  The BRIT system is certainly no secret and is detailed on our website.  The website is a consumer site and it certainly would not be very proffessional to put trade prices on there. I see no reason why we would want prices discussed on an open forum.  They are unique products and anyone who genuinely wants to trade with us will be sent details on request.  I have never seen any other supplier post details of prices on here.
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC