Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

SherwoodCleaningSe

Re: Whats all this REACH business
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2008, 12:56:17 pm »
I think that the manufacturers would do better if they put down the actual length, and then the hoped for reach.  I was surprised when I found out that my old unusable 30ft universal was shorter than my new hybrid 28ft.

Now we all know...if we're honest ::)..that your standard 18' pole (3x6' sections) will reach;  The length of the pole + the height of the user + the length of the users arms ???.  So an 18' pole with me using could reach 18' + 6' + 2'6".  That's it's MAXIMUM reach (and you shouldn't do that at all really ::) ::)).  So, if the suppliers sell it as a 26.5' reach pole they're out of order.

My opinion is poles should be sold on ACTUAL LENGTH.  It's up to US users to decide how far we can reach with it.

David

What about the size of your head?   ;D

Simon.

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2008, 01:26:27 pm »
I agree with what you say,

thats why i have detailed every poles spec on the website.

I know that a couple of years ago we ordered a pole for a job that we had when the guys got there the pole was a whole floor short :(.

I know it can make things awkward.

regards, Stuart

www.skypolewfp.com

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2008, 01:34:18 pm »
The square of the hypotones (whatever) on a right angled triangle is equal to the sum of the square of the other 2 sides.

so a triangle with the lengths at the right angle being 3 and 4 , would be 3 times 3= 9 and 4times 4 = 16 , add them together you get 25 , the square of 25 being 5 so the length on the hypotones = 5

Paul Coleman

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2008, 01:40:07 pm »
The square of the hypotones (whatever) on a right angled triangle is equal to the sum of the square of the other 2 sides.

so a triangle with the lengths at the right angle being 3 and 4 , would be 3 times 3= 9 and 4times 4 = 16 , add them together you get 25 , the square of 25 being 5 so the length on the hypotones = 5

That's the one Dave except  the square ROOT of 25 is 5 rather than the square.  Being very accurate obviously isn't necessary when it comes to pole lengths as it's just a near enough measurement that's needed.  It is useful to know what you have said though if the pole length might be a bit tight.

Paul Coleman

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2008, 01:41:07 pm »
I think that the manufacturers would do better if they put down the actual length, and then the hoped for reach.  I was surprised when I found out that my old unusable 30ft universal was shorter than my new hybrid 28ft.

Now we all know...if we're honest ::)..that your standard 18' pole (3x6' sections) will reach;  The length of the pole + the height of the user + the length of the users arms ???.  So an 18' pole with me using could reach 18' + 6' + 2'6".  That's it's MAXIMUM reach (and you shouldn't do that at all really ::) ::)).  So, if the suppliers sell it as a 26.5' reach pole they're out of order.

My opinion is poles should be sold on ACTUAL LENGTH.  It's up to US users to decide how far we can reach with it.

David

What about the size of your head?   ;D

Simon.

Lucky I don't wear a hat, isn't it?   ;D

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 01:55:40 pm »
So if you had a window which was 16 ft high , stood directly under the window you would need a 12 foot pole 12 ft +4 ft reach, but in reality you had to stand 9 ft away from the building you would need a 14.35 ft pole and not a 12 ft to reach the window.

because in efect you would be 18.35ft from the window.

TennetClean

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 02:09:19 pm »
dave I dont think thats quite right

the 1 in 4 ladder rule only applies because this is safe angle to stand on.  We dont satnd on wfp, so they can be used at a steeper angle.
My friends call me Tuppence Clean

Moderator David@stives

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 02:12:34 pm »
Tennent the reality is we stand further away than we used to with ladders so we can see what we are doing and get a good angle on the window with the brush.

I wasnt implying it was for safety wise, just a rule of thumb for the angle

Paul Coleman

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 02:42:15 pm »
So if you had a window which was 16 ft high , stood directly under the window you would need a 12 foot pole 12 ft +4 ft reach, but in reality you had to stand 9 ft away from the building you would need a 14.35 ft pole and not a 12 ft to reach the window.

because in efect you would be 18.35ft from the window.

Well, roughly speaking, 16x16 = 256. 9x9=81.  256+81=337.  Square root of 337 is between 18 and 19 so I suppose 14.35 ft would just about do it if held a bit above hip high (I could rest it on my fat belly)   :)  .  Mind you, as you go up to higher windows, you wouldn't stand so far from the building (proportionately speaking) as the weight on the end of the pole would get more and you might need to hold it about 3ft high instead of 4.

dai

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 06:10:37 pm »
My PC monitor is 21" wide, but only if I have it on a 45 degree angle.
Those trigonometrical ratios can work in your favour too, that's why you can cover a 10ft high pane of glass top to bottom, just by dropping and raising your arms, and the further back you stand the less up and down movement you need.
Makes you wonder how WFP manufacturers measure their appendages. Dai

Pj

« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 09:42:18 pm »
I thought I'd get this up again.

Reach & Wash is a phrase we hear, but as Dave says, "What is all this Reach?"

It should be Pole & Wash, or Brush & Wash, or Scrub & Rinse, or Brush & Rinse, or ............
Anything but REACH & Wash because we don't want to be reaching wth a long heavy pole, it defeats the object.

By the way, it's HYPOTENUSE ;)