This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

howgood

General Cleaning - sparkles etc,
« on: December 11, 2004, 06:06:37 pm »
For anyone in general cleaning here is a 'term' we've just added to our conditions which we hope may help others.

Any object with a value over £100.00 must be identified in writing prior to commencement of work and marked with a note to the cleaning technician. Failure to advise us of this in the specified manner will result in a single item value limit being set at £100.00 in the event of any damage.

Len Gribble

Re: General Cleaning - sparkles etc,
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 08:10:22 pm »
Howgood

Can you define General Cleaning? And would be very surprised if you could get away with this clause in you TC if it came to court, then I take it you have been to the solicitor and trading standard and got there ok!

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

martin19842

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 09:11:28 pm »
hi there,

this is the first time i have heard of anything like this.  i think if you were to look around any room in any building you will find items over £100

our insurance, covers damage to items on site and taken off site either being cleaned or not.

any decent public liabilty policy, would cover these. 

we go on site every day of the week, and i wouldnt even start to price kit value. for instance kitchen worktops, in excess of hundreds of pounds.

regards

martin

Fox

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 07:42:15 am »
Maybe you are talking about domestic cleans but even then thats alot to ask.

A clause stating that you are not liable for breakages whilst carrying out normal duties through bad maintenance or deterioration, is acceptable though.

So if a cleaner were to dust a picture frame that was hanging by a thread of old string and it fell and broke you would not be liable.

Fox

howgood

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2004, 08:05:47 pm »
Thanks to all of you for your replies, some intresting and thought provoking stuff.. Our clause re £100.00 item is already covered within english insurance laws i.e. unspecified items lost away from home such as gold bracelet. If its not on your policy as being worth say, £1500.00 and it gets lost, as far as most insurers are concerned they will limit the value to £1000.00.
Our clause is not to 'shirk' true responsibility but merely to cover the 'vase from Woolworth's suddenly becoming a family heirloom after it hits the floor!!!' ,, and yes this is intended for houshold sparkles.

Our solicitors have stated to us verbally that we are entitled to use this clause as long as it is written into the formal quotation and with a written acceptance of it by the client would hold in court, subject to, of course, the level of 'negligence on the part of the contractor to take steps to protect the clients interest' So yes I agree that this is not an iron clad protection but it does draw the client's attention to items that perhaps might be better moved to a place of safety by them prior to the clean.

martin19842

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2004, 08:23:17 pm »
hi there,

just make sure that the terms and conditions are on the same piece of paper which forms the 'acceptance'

if the t's and c's are on a seperate piece of paper to the acceptance, make sure that your soloicitor, informs you of exactly where they should be i.e. stapled or attached to the acceptance on top of the acceptrance,, rather than underneath it.

some clients are getting very cute, if the t and c sheet is not in the correct place.

regards

martin

Len Gribble

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2004, 10:17:21 pm »
howgood

Are your solicitors prepared to put pen to paper that you are entitled to use this clause if not I wouldn’t, then again if an adjudicator was called for they would know if Woolworth’s or not! Family heirloom ant worth the paper it ant write on unless of value

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Done 'n' Dusted

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2004, 07:37:28 pm »
my public liability insurance has an exemption clause that states the following...and I have it in my T & C.....Exclusions apply – glass, china, porcelain, earthenware, stone and items of a brittle nature......
It ain't clean till it's Done 'n' Dusted!

howgood

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2004, 07:42:13 pm »
my public liability insurance has an exemption clause that states the following...and I have it in my T & C.....Exclusions apply – glass, china, porcelain, earthenware, stone and items of a brittle nature......

My Point Exactly!