Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

which brand of micro splitters do you use

solutions
one step
other

Ian Gourlay

Re: micro splitters
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2004, 06:33:34 am »
Has anyone tried The World of Cleans new product,

Mike Halliday

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2004, 06:49:01 am »
Ian I've been using Biosafe for the last month and I can't tell the differance from other M/S

this is why I voted 'other'  on the above Poll
Mike
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2004, 09:19:25 am »
Len

Most of my work is on wool. I always use the softest brushes available on my host machine, but I know that many use stiffer quite safely most of the time. I find that with Fineline, the agitation process can often be completed quicker, and more spots broken down, than with other products I've used.

There maybe other variables though to the equation. Different identical machines have different rpm due to manufacturing/assembly variations. The water available locally may have an influence or it may even be a mindset of mine ???  But, as we all often find, I've found products and systems that work for me, so I'll stick with them. If Fineline wasn't available, I would gladly use similar alternative products.

Safe and happy cleaning :)
Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi
I came, I saw, I conquered, I cleaned up!

Dave_Lee

« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2004, 06:35:19 pm »
Ken,
You may have read posts where I have commented on not being convinced about MSs, however I see that you clean mainly wool carpets. If I were doing the same then I would happily switch to MSs as my main method, however in my oporation in my area, wool carpets account for a maximum of only 25% of the jobs I do. On medium soiled wool carpets I have had excellent results with both One Step and Solutions using a fresh water rinse.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2004, 06:58:21 pm »
I hear what you're saying Dave, and , as always, you need to go with what works for you with your systems.

I keep with the woolsafe product for all carpets because a) I'm couldn't be bothered to change the bottle on my Spraymaster, so b) I've made it work for me. Yes, I do frequently clean carpets with synthetic yarns, so I fill the Cleaning Pie with more aggressive agitation. This means that for most residential carpets, the brushes I use on my Host Machine are as follows: Wool and cut pile nylon Soft Gold Brushes. All polypropylene and loop nylon Medium White Brushes and for Flotex Stiff Black Brushes.  Me and my customers are delighted with the results.

It is frequently said by many that they can't quite achieve the desired result with microsplitters and freshwater rinse, so the extra help from a detergent rinse helps to tip the balance. I think it's important to bare in mind that a detergent, even without OB's will initially brighten a carpet as you work, usually giving an artificial impression as to it's real cleanliness. A FW rinse, however, will make the fabric look darker/duller than it will when dry. Liken it to spilling some water onto your shirt. The wet area will look darker and duller than the dry areas around it.

Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi

Len Gribble

« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2004, 07:44:38 pm »
Ken

Thanks for the feedback; I believe water quality has a part to play in our game.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

stevegunn

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2004, 07:48:33 pm »
For myself, I use OneStep Fineline for virtually everything, synthetic as well as wool. I've used Solutions No2 and found it excellent, and wouldn't like to say if it's better or worse than other brands as I can't honestly tell. But for the way I work with my equipment, I get on better with the OneStep Fineline rather than Solutions No.4.  I feel again that the cleaning performance is inseperable, but the agitation is easier with Fineline for me with my equipment.

Safe and happy cleaning:)

Ken

How can agitation be easier with fineline rather than solution no4 are they both not liquids.I too use a Host machine and i cannot see where your coming from with that comment ???

Ken Wainwright

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2004, 08:08:02 pm »
Sorry Steve,

Perhaps I should have said that the agitation appears to take less time to achieve the same results on both soil and spots. Hence the term "easier" which, I suppose, is not strictly accurate.

Ken
Veni, vidi vici, Vaxi

eclipse

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2004, 10:36:38 pm »
I used microsplitters for the first time today on a grubby looking h/s/l carpet and to say i was impressed was an understatment these things are brilliant i still cant get my head around how they work mind you
i would reccomend anybody doing a trial with microsplitters because you wont belive the results without trying it your self

Thanks Nick!!

Phil Marlor

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2004, 03:23:37 pm »

The reason most people are using Solutions is simple "PRICE".

Just bought 2 cases from Nick - £105.72 +vat
One Step 2 cases  - £170.00 + vat

Both do the same job, if John Bolton says so thats good enough for me.

Why spend £65.00 more for somthing that gives equal results.

Phil
Stevenage, Herts

LUTON TOWN 3-0 SUNDERLAND

Glynn

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2004, 03:54:16 pm »
With the greatest respect for all concerned re: the use of MS, I mainly only use them for "some" upholstery.
I believe that operators who initialy try these chemicals/cleaning agents are first, delighted with the results, then carry on using them and eventually get so used to the results that they begin to believe that "this is it , this is the best cleaning result achievable" when it may not be.

I DO find them to be better at upholstery cleaning over carpet cleaning, furthermore I will say I cannot achive different good/better or worse with any of the brands currently available, although I have yet to try Biosafe off Paul. I definetly commend Nick and Karl though , for encouraging people to clear rinse as it has been the case in my opinion that CCs for far too long have been leaving heavy residues behind due to obviously using too much of "whatever" agent they was using. Just my tuppence worth.

Glynn
Regards
Glynn

Doug Holloway

« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2004, 04:23:42 pm »
Hi Guys,

Had my first experience today where m/s was better than anything else on fringes of a chinese rug.

This was the best result I can remember achieving.

Otherwise I have found m/s good on most upholstery and some carpets.

Cheers,

Doug

paul@ctcs

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2004, 04:38:52 pm »
Those who refer to using MS on some carpets, I presume its the dirtier maybe commercial jobs where conventional detergents are prefered??
 If I am correct and this is the case, next time perform a head to head with Heavy Duty Solutions Number 2 against your conventional detergent.

I did this and not only does the MS aproach save alot of messing about, the results were superior, it works out cheaper, exposure wont kill me and of course residue free ;D

Of all the micro splitting varients i have used this stuff really has impressed me.

Paul

Bryan H

« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2004, 05:04:52 pm »
I have been using M/S for most of this year, but today decided to do a comparative test on identical 80/20 off-white carpet.

I used conventional pre-spray in the dining room & M/S in the lounge.  Agitation as normal.
I found no significant difference in ease of cleaning or in end result.  Both carpets were heavily spotted, and both products worked equally well at removing these.

The only discernable difference was that the conventional product produced a slightly brighter result.

So I am really none the wiser  ???   I think further comparisons will be necessary.

Bryan
Christal Clean - Berks

Derek

« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2004, 08:21:50 pm »
Bryan

The comparisons...were these made immediately after the clean or when they were completely dry... there's a difference?

Micro-splitters do tend to be duller in appearance until completely dry.

Derek

John_Flynn

« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2004, 08:42:39 pm »
Bryan

The words Optical Brighteners, spring to mind!!
I get better looking each day!!

Dave_Lee

« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2004, 11:49:33 pm »
Obviously the end result is what counts, i.e. when dry. I did a cotton/rayon mix suite today. I used solutions no 2. On the lightly soiled areas a fine mist was enough, on the more heavily soiled areas I found the initial mist although actively agigated was not good enough, but a second application produced acceptable results. I clean one heavily soiled seat cushion in this manner and speed dried with the blower whilst doing the rest of the suite exept the other settee seat cushion.
When the cleaned cushion was dry I compared it with the still soiled other seat cushion - it was certainly much cleaner and I have to admit as the suite was drying it was getting brighter all the time.
I guess its a case of going through the procedures and knowing its clean even if it doesnt jump out and say "Im clean" as soon as youve done it, just like some wool carpets do even when using conventional detergents with optical brighteners.
I agree with Glynn, I can definetly see the value of MSs more in the use of upholstery cleaning than carpets, but would add that anyone leaving sustantial conventional detergent residues in whatever they are cleaning, are not using them correctly, for there is no reason why this should happen. When used correctly they do not leave resoiling residues, as is proved in my operations on a daily basis - like today, lounge carpet, medium soiled - I last cleaned with Crystal Green four years ago. It hadnt been cleaned since and as I was going the client said "See you in another four years."
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Bryan H

« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2004, 08:45:53 am »
Derek & John,

The slight difference in brightness was noticed immediately after cleaning, NOT when dry !  and it was only slight & I am sure would not be noticed by the client.

Probably the normal pre-spray does contain some optical brighteners, although does not specifically say so.

But I agree with Dave, even using conventional products correctly should leave only minimal residue & not cause a re-soiling problem.  I have certainly never been aware of such problems with any of the different products I have used over the years, or at least no-one has brought it to my attention.

Bryan
Christal Clean - Berks

Dynafoam

« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2004, 10:03:23 am »
That detergents can contribute to an acceleration of the re-soil rate has been clearly demonstrated and is something that I have observed myself (on remedial cleans) many times.

Factors that can affect this contribution include the formulation of the detergent product. This is not the 'self-neutralising' factor, which refers to its' pH, but the fact that some detergents are more free-rinsing than others.

By far the greatest factor is the way that they are employed by the cleaner. Using the correct dilution rate and leaving the minimum amount of product in the carpet will ensure that this unfortunate side-effect is kept to a minimum - practically unnoticeable - extent.

In different areas of life there are chemicals and chemical compounds such as aspirin and paracetamol that can be highly beneficial when applied correctly. When not correctly use, that can have seriously detrimental consequences - if a substitute for either of these were to become available that did not have the same potential for harm but was otherwise efficacious, then it would be worthy of support. I think that micro-splitters fall into this category.