Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Captain Scarlet

WHERE CAN I GET THESE CHEAPLY?
« on: November 14, 2007, 09:20:17 am »

One broke yesterday but all the window cleaning shops are charging loads for them, when I was in a caravan store a month back they had them in there for only £2.50. Unluckily I cant get to this shop as its 30 miles away!!!! So does anybody know anywhere online where I can get one. I believe the correct name is a gas quick release female coupling! Luke
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

john tomkins

Re: WHERE CAN I GET THESE CHEAPLY?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007, 09:24:56 am »
Ring the caravan store and get them to post you one ;D

Captain Scarlet

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2007, 09:39:42 am »
i dont have there number or name :(
Ffenest ( est 2007 ) is a fully insured premium quality window cleaning service based at Llandderfel near Bala. All our work is guaranteed, rain or shine, year round.

Rob.Hall

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2007, 09:51:46 am »
Hi Luke,

Cant you find another caravan/outdoor shop in yellow pages closer to you.

I think you are up north so I can't advise.....Sorry.

Ian W

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 10:40:39 am »
It looks similar an airline type fitting. Perhaps try a local airline supplier?
Do all the good you can, and make as little fuss about it as possible.
Charles Dickens

Pj

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2007, 10:43:32 am »
If you can get them that cheap buy a bucket load and we'll all buy from you a £2.75!

Alternatively accept that you pay for the convenience of getting things from w/c suppliers

gmcs

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2007, 11:32:56 am »
Have you tried ebay thats where I got my last ones from or your local plumb center they stock them near me

Spursboy1972

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2007, 12:01:17 pm »
Pirtek
Clear Vision~"The Difference is Clear"

Southampton- Hampshire

john tomkins

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 01:31:52 pm »
i dont have there number or name :(

You know roughly where, so Yell it or google it, can't be that many caravan shops in the area?

cybersye

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 02:55:16 pm »
I know it does'nt exactly answer your question Luke, but I just went back to using hozelocks. I put a barbed adapter on the end of the microbore to bring it up to a short piece of 1/2 " hose with a hozelock on the end. Reason being I must have gone through atleast 3 of those airline style valves from 2 different suppliers in as many months! Gets annoying in the end and they are costly. Personally I would rather use hozelocks now and if I run out of spares I can easily buy one from any garden or diy store whilst out working with minimal downtime.
Simon

Davie T

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2007, 03:26:57 pm »
Cleantech
www.cleantech.cu.uk
Tel   01563 550 450
It is a Schrader female connector.
The female connectors are more expensive than the male ones ( No jokes!)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2007, 03:32:07 pm »
We do them but they are a bit more than £2.75!, but they do have the advantage of being in one piece. We do 6mm or 8mm.

http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/EZ-Snap_Range.html

poleman

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 04:03:47 pm »
Sorry Luke off topic  :)

Alex, I have microboro hose and need some new O rings, can you link me the page on your website so I can place a order online now, many thanks

Andy

Neil_A

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2007, 05:17:42 pm »

One broke yesterday but all the window cleaning shops are charging loads for them, when I was in a caravan store a month back they had them in there for only £2.50. Unluckily I cant get to this shop as its 30 miles away!!!! So does anybody know anywhere online where I can get one. I believe the correct name is a gas quick release female coupling! Luke

Its funny that you say this as mine broke today!!  I think you will find it you get in contact with a AIR & HIGHDROLICS company that sell parts they will have it!... I got mine today for £2.00  so i got 5 of them  ;D  I was told the part is originally used for air .. like air guns etc!  But when wfp come along they started using the part as it is suitable.
GRADE 'A'

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2007, 05:29:31 pm »
Sorry Luke off topic  :)

Alex, I have microboro hose and need some new O rings, can you link me the page on your website so I can place a order online now, many thanks

Andy

http://www.gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/acatalog/Hose_Clamps____O__Ring_Clips.html

This link should take you to the right page.

poleman

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2007, 05:38:46 pm »
Hi Alex, yes seen the page but not sure size of O ring I need to order!

Andy

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2007, 05:52:34 pm »
Hi Alex, yes seen the page but not sure size of O ring I need to order!

Andy

You need the following size as quoted from the web page below.

11-13mm Oetiker single ear clamp 'o' clip
We use this size to clamp 6mm end-stops into our 11.5mm microbore hose. Also fits Minibore hose.

poleman

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2007, 05:56:20 pm »
Big thanks  ;) your a gent

Andy

Spruce

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Spursboy1972

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2007, 08:00:32 pm »
As I said go to Pirtek. I think you will find that microbore/ minibore are invented terms as these hoses were/are all air hoses as are the fittings.
Clear Vision~"The Difference is Clear"

Southampton- Hampshire

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2007, 08:03:09 pm »
As I said go to Pirtek. I think you will find that microbore/ minibore are invented terms as these hoses were/are all air hoses as are the fittings.
What is the website address for them Tony ??

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2007, 08:07:33 pm »

Microbore and minibore are as you say new terms.  We believe that we were the first to coin the phrase microbore when we introduced it into WFP work over 5 years ago.  I think that minibore was first used as a WFP term about 18 months ago by Cleantech.  For whatever reasons these two terms seem to have stuck and seem to fairly accurately describe the products within the world of WFP.  As to the hose being airline hose - whilst some suppliers do sell 'off the shelf' airline hose as microbore, we personally have it manufactured to our exact specifications which is quite a bit tougher than airline hose. 

We found that the stresses and strains and the punishment that window cleaners give it, very quickly destroys ordinary airline hose.  Pirtek will supply many of the fittings and very similar hose but it will not be specifically designed for window cleaning.

« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2007, 08:12:22 pm »

Microbore and minibore are as you say new terms.  We believe that we were the first to coin the phrase microbore when we introduced it into WFP work over 5 years ago.  I think that minibore was first used as a WFP term about 18 months ago by Cleantech.  For whatever reasons these two terms seem to have stick and seem to fairly accurately describe the products within the world of WFP.  As to the hose being airline hose - whilst some suppliers do sell 'off the shelf' airline hose as microbore, we personally have it manufactured to our exact specifications which is quite a bit tougher than airline hose. 

We found that the stresses and strains and the punishment that window cleaners give it, very quickly destroys ordinary airline hose.  Pirtek will supply many of the fittings and very similar hose but it will not be specifically designed for window cleaning.
what are the old terms for it ?

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2007, 08:34:32 pm »
There were no old terms for these hoses within the world of Water Fed Poles. Before we started using microbore, the majority of people just used standard reinforced 1/2 inch hose.  I came up with the idea that first of all I didn't need the flow rate of 1/2 inch hose and secondly I could get a lot more on my hose reel (50 metres just wasn't enough) and it would be a lot lighter to carry. 

I rang up a hose manufacturing company who supplied me with an initial batch of hose to my specification.  After that time, I realized that a very similar hose existed as airline hose which is usually referred to as 1/4 inch reinforced hose.  Having trialled standard airline hose we found that the failure rate was anywhere from 1 week to 1 year whereas our own specification hose (microbore) lasts much longer.  Our very first reel is still going after nearly 6 years.

« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2007, 08:52:07 pm »
I put a post up asking about hose for hot use. My minibore is very stretchy when hot, and one reel had to be changed because it leaked. I think that hot it will be more prone to tear on brick work etc.

Of the replies the best seemed to be persevere with minibore. One user had been 18mths without problem.
Do you have any views on hoses for hot systems Alex.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2007, 08:59:51 pm »
I put a post up asking about hose for hot use. My minibore is very stretchy when hot, and one reel had to be changed because it leaked. I think that hot it will be more prone to tear on brick work etc.

Of the replies the best seemed to be persevere with minibore. One user had been 18mths without problem.

We have not specifically tested any of our products with a hot water system. From my experience with various hoses I would imagine that a decent microbore hose (not airline hose) would probably be the most resilient to the effects of hot water. For the sake of £50 it may be worth a try.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2007, 09:19:23 pm »

We have not specifically tested any of our products with a hot water system. From my experience with various hoses I would imagine that a decent microbore hose (not airline hose) would probably be the most resilient to the effects of hot water. For the sake of £50 it may be worth a try.

Alex, I telephoned Ionics as they are selling thermo hose for thermopure use.  I was interested in buying 100metres but they only sell it as half inch hose which IMO is far to heavy for everyday use with WFP.

How difficult would it be to contact your supplier of minibore hose and ask if they could manufacture a tripple layer of minibore (still 8mm or even possibly 10mm internally) which would prevent heat loss with possibly a thin layer of reflective film sandwiched between the inner and outer layers of hose? Even if it cost twice the price to manufacture but kept most of the heat in the hose I would happily pay twice the price. :)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2007, 09:25:12 pm »

Alex, I telephoned Ionics as they are selling thermo hose for thermopure use.  I was interested in buying 100metres but they only sell it as half inch hose which IMO is far to heavy for everyday use with WFP.

How difficult would it be to contact your supplier of minibore hose and ask if they could manufacture a tripple layer of minibore (still 8mm or even possibly 10mm internally) which would prevent heat loss with possibly a thin layer of reflective film sandwiched between the inner and outer layers of hose? Even if it cost twice the price to manufacture but kept most of the heat in the hose I would happily pay twice the price. :)

Hi Wayne

I will discuss this with our manufacturer as this could be a very useful product.  He may well have some experience with hot water hose in other applications.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2007, 09:37:05 pm »
Thank-you Alex ;)

« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2007, 06:24:38 am »
Alex I would buy that product, Wayne described very well what is reqiured. This would be a winner.
IMO, and I know hardly any one agrees including you, but purified water hot delivery window washing will become the norm. There are lots of strategic reasons for this and an inevitablity, one of these is  that it is idiot proof. Even I can't do a bad job.

added
ps. had an explosion today, a little tip, don't put a hoselock end stop connector on the hot out- so nearly idiot proof. Blew a hole clean through the half inch connection hose to reel.

« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2007, 06:46:24 pm »
See Above, just so you know i'm not always perfect.

« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2007, 06:49:19 pm »
On the connections Luke- you can fix them.

They usually stop working because they are dirty- put it in HOT[color=Red][/color] soapy water, click it in and out untill it frees up,

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2007, 09:49:52 pm »
had an explosion today, a little tip, don't put a hoselock end stop connector on the hot out- so nearly idiot proof. Blew a hole clean through the half inch connection hose to reel.

I blew a massive hole in some hose I was using which was connected up to a zodi gas heater a few years back. The water was over 90 degrees Celsius (excessively hot by any standards), because the hose I had fitted was only guaranteed up to 80degrees. It made one hell of a loud bang and blew the hose into tiny little pieces ;D That was because I was using it directly to the pole and the waterflow had been turned off for quite a while whilst the heater was still lit and heating the water. Now I always use it to heat the WFP tank in vehicle instead unless I'm doing a new clean on a large property and simply don't bother turning it off until I've finished the job.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2007, 08:29:05 pm »
My Gas heater goes straight to the reel via an ordinary  hoselock hose pipe. And as you say this occured when i had turned the tap to pole off and finished, but the varistream was still cycling and the on demand boiler was still lit.

Is this something I can expect often? It was quite a loud bang.

When you have your gas heater on, the water you are heating has to keep moving through the heating element either by flowing through your hosereel to your WFP or back to your WFP tank. If it is going to your WFP and you decide to shut off your flow of water on your pole but there is no means for the water to continue flowing back into your tank then obviously you will blow more hoses or worse damage the heating element. On a serious note it could be fatal and very dangerous so you need to make sure that your hot water can run back into your tank whilst the heater is on once you've decided to turn off the flow of water at your WFP ;)

« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2007, 08:41:00 pm »
How? Any pictures? Or type of valve I need to fit?

Dean Aspects

« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2007, 08:58:51 pm »
That hot water system looks good where do you get the parts from and how easy is it to fit and what else do you need thats not in the pic?
Sorry lots of questions but i dont want to waste money needlessly

Dean

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2007, 09:01:03 pm »
As your gas heater is situated in your van do you have a flue fitted for the necessary gasses to escape or is that a DIY you did yourself? You need to be aware of the potential danger of using gas heaters if you are not familiar with the proper installation of them. You also need to display the relevant hazard warning diamond on the outside of your van.

I use to use a 'Zodi' gas heater but it was always lit outside the van in the open air away from the van.

I now use a twin coil 75 litre calorifier tank with a built in 2kw immersion heater which retains the heat from my engine via the radiator. The heat stored in that is recycled through my WFP tank and can be indirectly or directly run to my hosereel also.

The week after next, I am having a hot water unit professionally installed by Omnipole up in London which uses a diesel heater which gives me the added advantage of being able to pre-heat my WFP tank whilst driving to work which you can't do with a gas heater.  So in a couple of weeks time I'll give you my verdict on Omnipole's diesel heater if you or anybody else is interested

Dean Aspects

« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2007, 09:08:00 pm »
 ??? where did the pics go  ??? ???

Dean

cherubs cleaning

« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2007, 09:08:45 pm »
wintecs

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2007, 01:51:21 pm »

Hi Wayne & Mr Solubility

We think we have a solution for you.  The smallest we can get it manufactured in is 10mm id.  It is triple layer with 'exotic' heat-retaining double inner layer.  We are working on a price for this.  It would be guaranteed to cope with a constant 80 degree water temperature.  Does this sound interesting to you Guys?

« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2007, 02:41:24 pm »
Yes, I want 100m. Possibly you could do a reel with some side insulation?

You'd better give the product a name, gardiners hot hose?
Gardiners wfp hot system hose?

For safety I might still keep my heater hose 212c 9bar rated from demand boiler to reel.

Do you know anything about it's insulation properties. Hose reel to pole is the biggest heat drain in any system?

I will email you a couple of pics so you know the market, potential and application a bit better.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2007, 05:57:07 pm »

Hi Wayne & Mr Solubility

We think we have a solution for you.  The smallest we can get it manufactured in is 10mm id.  It is triple layer with 'exotic' heat-retaining double inner layer.  We are working on a price for this.  It would be guaranteed to cope with a constant 80 degree water temperature.  Does this sound interesting to you Guys?

Hello Alex (Gardiner Pole Systems):

Thank-you for asking your supplier of minibore hose with regards the 'heat retaining 10mm hose. 
10mm tripple layer exotic heat retaining hose would suit me perfectly. Put me in for 200metres of the stuff and email me: EasyCleanDevon@aol.com when you have a price for it. Thank-you for going out of your way and enquiring about the hose. I'm impressed :)

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2007, 07:08:17 pm »
I will let you know as soon as we have a price for this product.
Unfortunately they could not make it down as small as 8mm ID.

« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2007, 07:47:55 pm »
I think it's best you're kept busy Alex, I don't like to see people loafing about.8mm id might be one for the future if you wave enought money at him. As it is you've got a sought after product with first to market advantage. (as a mainstream supplier)

The next thing you might look at is the heat loss from pole tails.Assuming what you are suggesting takes care of the hose on the reel the next major heat loss is the pole hose tail.(the taps get hot too and must give off heat).

So a hose tail that retains heat please.

Alex Gardiner

« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2007, 07:55:17 pm »
After he's finished sealing the floorboards in the lounge, put the bins out, painted the front fascia, painted the garage door, fixed the cat flap and put the kids to bed.

Mrs A

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2007, 07:55:31 pm »
I think it's best you're kept busy Alex, I don't like to see people loafing about.8mm id might be one for the future if you wave enought money at him. As it is you've got a sought after product with first to market advantage. (as a mainstream supplier)

The next thing you might look at is the heat loss from pole tails.Assuming what you are suggesting takes care of the hose on the reel the next major heat loss is the pole hose tail.(the taps get hot too and must give off heat).

So a hose tail that retains heat please.

Can you actually afford to run a hot water system if you're worried about the tiniest proportion of heat escaping from stupid places like a hosetail.
You should be making more dosh from working quicker anyway.
Worry about the main heat loss i.e. the tank (insulate it), the hoses (insulate them) and Gardiners will be a great help with the 10mm internal 'exotic' hose.
Women say: "worry about the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves".
My motto is: " concentrate on the pounds and stop fluffing around with the pennies". :)

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2007, 08:04:18 pm »
Mr's A's on my side. Always flog a willing horse ;)

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2007, 08:13:35 pm »
Mr's A's on my side. Always flog a willing horse ;)
You certainly push your luck, I'll give you that :)
I don't know why you bought that other hose that is black and is so heat resilient. A bit overkill I think. Was it very expensive?
Normal food grade red or blue hose is guaranteed up to 80 degrees and very rigid, that would suffice.
If you need it to go higher I could have recommended radiator hose from Halfords which you buy on a reel which they stock in most of their stores but don't display on their shelves. That is guaranteed up to over 100 degrees. I use that stuff on my calorifier tank and have taken it over 160 degrees with no problems so far for recyling indirectly from radiator via calorifier into my tank.

« Reply #48 on: November 21, 2007, 09:03:02 pm »
My other hose exploded. I mentioned it before. I am not near the van when the heater is working but even the possibility that someone could be scalded must be avoided. I do try and make things idiot proof because i am a bit of a dreamer myself.

On the hot out I have also changed the connection from hoselock, to a brass thing that you push and twist. I can't change it on the other end because the reel turns, maybe I should put one of those John guest ones on. I would also like a tilt facility for when the van is unevenly parked.(flames go up).

I look forward to hearing about your new system, although hot has been out for some time we are still early adopters. Tomorrow I am rebranding my business. I will put a picture up for a short while when I know you are on. I don't think you will agree with it (i'm pretty sure you'll think it's daft) but I have given the matter some consideration.

« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2007, 09:20:29 pm »
My other hose exploded. I mentioned it before. I am not near the van when the heater is working but even the possibility that someone could be scalded must be avoided. I do try and make things idiot proof because i am a bit of a dreamer myself.

On the hot out I have also changed the connection from hoselock, to a brass thing that you push and twist. I can't change it on the other end because the reel turns, maybe I should put one of those John guest ones on. I would also like a tilt facility for when the van is unevenly parked.(flames go up).

I look forward to hearing about your new system, although hot has been out for some time we are still early adopters. Tomorrow I am rebranding my business. I will put a picture up for a short while when I know you are on. I don't think you will agree with it (i'm pretty sure you'll think it's daft) but I have given the matter some consideration.
MY HOSE REEL TURNS AND i HAVE BRASS ONE ON THERE,