This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bazzy1999

Need Help..
« on: October 26, 2007, 11:35:56 pm »
Ive just moved and where I was last time my tap was 90 PSI and after pre filters and 40x40 ro my water was at 3 PPM and in my new place my tap is now down to 60 PSI and after pre filters and 40x40 ro my water is now at 33 PPM , ive now got a booster pump but it still comes out at 60 PSI and the TDS is still around the 30 PPM, am I doing something wrong?

Bazzy…

Re: Need Help..
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 11:42:39 pm »
Ive just moved and where I was last time my tap was 90 PSI and after pre filters and 40x40 ro my water was at 3 PPM and in my new place my tap is now down to 60 PSI and after pre filters and 40x40 ro my water is now at 33 PPM , ive now got a booster pump but it still comes out at 60 PSI and the TDS is still around the 30 PPM, am I doing something wrong?

Bazzy…
when was the last time you back flushed or changed the membrane ?

Bazzy1999

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 11:45:50 pm »
I back flush everytime i fill my tank and the membrane is only 10 months old..

Bazzy...

Bazzy1999

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 11:51:07 pm »

Paul Coleman

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2007, 10:46:01 am »

Bazzy…

If you've just moved it may be that the tap water is of a different constitution and that the membranes are becoming clogged faster.  This can sometimes happen even when you don't move.  How is the water production rate.  Has that slowed down appreciably with the sudden increase in post RO TDS?
I ask this because after the heavy rain a few months ago, my membranes became knackered (symptoms were a sharp climb in TDS along with much slower pure water production).  This has since been resolved by the addition of an iron pre-filter.  There is a lot of old iron ore around the Surrey/Sussex area and maybe this seeped into the supply due to heavy rain and flooding a while back.  In your area the geology may differ.  Moving the RO to a different location could mean a different water source with different chemicals in the supply.  If the membrane(s) are not protected from this by the addition of appropriate pre-filter(s) then you could have a problem with membranes being worn out much more quickly.

Bazzy1999

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2007, 07:17:38 pm »

If you've just moved it may be that the tap water is of a different constitution and that the membranes are becoming clogged faster.  This can sometimes happen even when you don't move.  How is the water production rate.  Has that slowed down appreciably with the sudden increase in post RO TDS?
I ask this because after the heavy rain a few months ago, my membranes became knackered (symptoms were a sharp climb in TDS along with much slower pure water production).  This has since been resolved by the addition of an iron pre-filter.  There is a lot of old iron ore around the Surrey/Sussex area and maybe this seeped into the supply due to heavy rain and flooding a while back.  In your area the geology may differ.  Moving the RO to a different location could mean a different water source with different chemicals in the supply.  If the membrane(s) are not protected from this by the addition of appropriate pre-filter(s) then you could have a problem with membranes being worn out much more quickly.

I only moved 4 miles up the road and the only change in water is my tap PSI so thats why i got a booster pump but after hooking it up the PSI is still the same as it is without the pump so im a little lost on this one..
The pump does work and i have it hooked up after the pre filters...

Bazzy...

Bazzy1999

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 09:50:57 pm »
Anyone??

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2007, 10:16:46 pm »
TDS can change a huge amount even only 4 miles up the road. What's your input TDS at the new place? Have you any DI cylinder at all after the RO?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2007, 10:19:43 pm »

I only moved 4 miles up the road and the only change in water is my tap PSI so thats why i got a booster pump but after hooking it up the PSI is still the same as it is without the pump so im a little lost on this one..
The pump does work and i have it hooked up after the pre filters...

Bazzy...

Presumably then, you haven't crossed the boundary from one water company to another which could cause the supply to be from a different source?  I ask this as I am on the edge of a boundary and just two miles would see my supply source change.

Bazzy1999

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 11:29:52 pm »
TDS can change a huge amount even only 4 miles up the road. What's your input TDS at the new place? Have you any DI cylinder at all after the RO?

Nathanael i have a DI after the 40x40RO which brings it down to 000ppm and my tap TDS is 275ppm and at my old place it was around 175 to 225ppm..

Bazzy...

Bazzy1999

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 11:34:43 pm »
What i dont understand is people on here say they get a booster pump to up there PSI and i go and get one and its the same.... so £200 booster pump down the drain  :'(

Bazzy...

russ_clark

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2007, 07:42:08 am »
Don't make sense to me.
When I put my booster pump on its like running a bath
compared to without one.
Are you sure you have hooked it up correctly/it is working ?
You can actually see the difference in psi increase on the gauge
when you switch on.
Russ

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2007, 09:08:39 am »
What i dont understand is people on here say they get a booster pump to up there PSI and i go and get one and its the same.... so £200 booster pump down the drain  :'(

Bazzy...
you dont have a outside tap kit from B&Q do you, the one you screw in the pipe

Nathanael Jones

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 09:54:50 am »
The higher input TDS would definitely make a difference,.. but it shouldn't be that much. Most booster pumps only go to 60 or 70 PSI,... this one goes to 94 PSI:
http://www.ro-man.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/28/products_id/245

As was already mentioned, an Iron pre-filter might help,.. but also an auto flush could benefit you too:
http://www.ro-man.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/28/products_id/225

Helen

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2007, 03:49:08 pm »
just a thought, we moved "things" around last year and similar happened to us...we were careful on how we handled items, but apparently, membranes etc can be "upset" by moving them..   it may be that or not :)

gsw

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2007, 04:04:29 pm »
my tap psi is 43 and i get 9ppm into my tank after my 4040, going in it reads 350-375ppm. my last membrane only lasted 14 months though, i have an ionics system but bought the membrane replacement from gaps water. they were extremely helpful and abought half the price of the ioinics membrane replacement. way i see it is i would rather replace the membrane every 14 months than sod about with booster pumps etc. just my opinion.

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2007, 04:08:36 pm »
just a thought, we moved "things" around last year and similar happened to us...we were careful on how we handled items, but apparently, membranes etc can be "upset" by moving them..   it may be that or not :)
how can a membrane get upset if moved I have a 40/40 in my van and thats moves everyday ?

Helen

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2007, 08:14:48 pm »
Ian, just saying what had happened to us that's all, it may have nothing to do with the reason that Bazzy is experiencing. I take it that your 40/40 is "static" within your van or do you move it from side to side everyday within your van everyday? :)