This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Re: Stress?
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2007, 06:30:28 pm »
I can't find anyone who will sell me work. If you remember my posts a few months ago I've been working one day a week with an older guy hoping he will sell me some. Plus I've been offered work to buy but when getting to the point of going to see the work its fell through.
go out and leaflet, then do a little door knocking a day or so later, you will be suprised what you pick up even with just a leaflet.

works for me

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2007, 06:38:55 pm »
I can't find anyone who will sell me work. If you remember my posts a few months ago I've been working one day a week with an older guy hoping he will sell me some. Plus I've been offered work to buy but when getting to the point of going to see the work its fell through.
go out and leaflet, then do a little door knocking a day or so later, you will be suprised what you pick up even with just a leaflet.

works for me
Lucky you.

I knocked and leafleted 200 houses and got 1 yes and 2 maybes.

Now that's stress. >:(

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2007, 06:52:45 pm »

works for me
Lucky you.

just hoping you dont look like that pic lol, 200 houses and 1 yes ???? do you think maybe you was doing something wrong or leaflet has bad design?

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2007, 10:45:32 pm »

works for me
Lucky you.

just hoping you dont look like that pic lol, 200 houses and 1 yes ???? do you think maybe you was doing something wrong or leaflet has bad design?
No, most of them I spoke to personally.

I'm a born salesman, but if people have already got one or don't want one, there's nothing you can do.

The problem is, I live in an area where within miles there's only about 10,000-odd people.
And we have about 15 window cleaners... >:(

Pj

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2007, 10:54:51 pm »
A pleasure to read your posts at times Roger.

Despite your finally giving in to wfp, for a young man you have retained your slightly sardonic candor!

Don't lose that.

Pj

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2007, 11:00:58 pm »
A pleasure to read your posts at times Roger.

Despite your finally giving in to wfp, for a young man you have retained your slightly sardonic candor!

Don't lose that.

Pj
Sorry Pj, I'm having a bit of a senior moment here.
I can't remember what that means. :-\

Pj

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2007, 11:40:37 pm »
Sardonic = humorous though slightly sarcastic

Candor/Candour = frankness, honesty

sardonic candour. 

Senior?  No, junior moment methinks 8)

eddie d

« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2007, 07:41:32 am »
i think stress is part of life .cant seem to get away from it .
im a bit of a stress head .
thats why i do a 10 mile run every other day ,calm me down ,clears my head ,and keeps me fit . ;D

KarlJones

« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2007, 01:29:15 pm »
I am constantly stressed.
I am a procrastinator through and through, and it is a stressful hobby.

You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind.

supernova77

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2007, 01:42:20 pm »
No, most of them I spoke to personally.

I'm a born salesman, but if people have already got one or don't want one, there's nothing you can do.

Maybe it's the salesman in you that puts people off? If a "salesman" turns up at my door then I tend to say no straight away.

The problem is, I live in an area where within miles there's only about 10,000-odd people.
And we have about 15 window cleaners...

Maybe travel a bit further to get some new work?

Andy

twt

« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2007, 05:45:48 pm »
a very wise man once said "who of you by being anxious can add one cubit to his life span?........so never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties."

Paul Coleman

« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2007, 05:53:38 pm »
a very wise man once said "who of you by being anxious can add one cubit to his life span?........so never be anxious about the next day, for the next day will have its own anxieties."

So true.  The version that I heard was "Today is the tomorrow that you worried about yesterday."  Another one goes "If you have one foot in yesterday and one foot in tomorrow, you p all over today."
It's funny but 99% of all the things I have ever worried about never actually happened.  The 1% that did happen I got through anyway (somehow).

Billions of people worried about WW2 starting and it still never stopped it.

chrismroberts

« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2007, 06:08:34 pm »
I think every way of making a living has stress involved.... if it didn't, it probably wouldn't pay very well!  :P

The beauty of our profession, though, is that if something is causing you stress, it can usually be sorted. For example, I get stressed when I fall behind, but the answer to this is to work more hours or drop some low paying/hassley (is that a word?) accounts until I can find time to replace them.

If you lose some customers, then they can usually be replaced.

The one thing that is hard to deal with is the weather, but even in the worst of patches, I've usually found I can get through most of my work. And it never lasts forever!  :)

Tosh

« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2007, 06:18:56 pm »

I phoned Squeaks on Wednesday morning and offered him an account which turned out to be £110 for the first clean, £85 for subsequent three-monthly cleans (about 1 hrs work with a van mount WFP system; easy access all round apart from one dodgy bit by a swimming pool) and the customer owns two old-folk homes (worth about £300 a clean together; but ONE tough days work) and he made all sorts of excuses why he couldn't do the job; which had to be done then and there; because the scaffolding that the decorators used was being taken down.

Squeaks said he couldn't do the job because he had an inside and out client booked and couldn't cancel because:

His phone was low on battery.
He had no credit on his phone.
He'd done a lot of squeegie work the day previously.
Martians had landed on the B1425 and the army had blocked the road with two Challenger tanks.

I tried to talk Squeaks into doing the job; initial clean tough, but no ladders (it was all scaffolded) and the chance to get a couple of other big jobs, but he wasn't game.  Wor Lass, after listening to our phonecall, 'said, 'Oh, come on, just go and see and stick a good price in'.

So we did.

And I honestly find it difficult to believe that anyone can canvass 200 houses and only get one response?  

Maybye he knocked very quietly and no-one answered the door?

chrismroberts

« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2007, 06:26:58 pm »
Martians had landed on the B1425 and the army had blocked the road with two Challenger tanks.

:o :o :o :o Why haven't I heard about this?!  :-\ :-\ ;)

I phoned Squeaks on Wednesday morning and offered him an account which turned out to be £110 for the first clean, £85 for subsequent three-monthly cleans (about 1 hrs work with a van mount WFP system; easy access all round apart from one dodgy bit by a swimming pool) and the customer owns two old-folk homes (worth about £300 a clean together; but ONE tough days work) and he made all sorts of excuses why he couldn't do the job; which had to be done then and there; because the scaffolding that the decorators used was being taken down.

I'll have the jobs!  ;D ;D Well I would, if I didn't live 200 miles away  :-\ ::)

jeff1

« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2007, 06:31:46 pm »

He had an inside and out client booked and couldn't cancel because:

His phone was low on battery.
He had no credit on his phone.
He'd done a lot of squeegie work the day previously.

I honestly find it difficult to believe that anyone can canvass 200 houses and only get one response?  

Maybye he knocked very quietly and no-one answered the door?

Well done Tosh
You only have to read past posts, and a lot of the guy's on here, would have bitten your hand off for that Job.  ;)
very friendly thing to do

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2007, 07:22:16 pm »
I had prior arrangements which I didn't have the number on me to cancel, and it ended up a £150 day.
A first clean I didn't know, and one I'd have to do by hand, when I'm still suffering the RSI?
Not worth it I think you'll find.

If the job was any good Tosh wouldn't have been palming it off.
Think about it...

dai

« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2007, 10:00:41 pm »
Stress! Hell no, having 20% more work than you can do in a month works better than Prozac. Do your best, don't take any crap from awkward customers.
The only stress is getting the books done in time for the accountant. dai

Tosh

« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2007, 05:03:10 pm »
If the job was any good Tosh wouldn't have been palming it off.
Think about it...

Good point!  I didn't have much of a clue about the job - it could've been really naff - because I hadn't seen it when I phoned you; apart from it was scaffolded and had to be done that day; 'cos the scaffolding was about to be removed.

I just wanted a day off to do some DIY; all the bills are covered and I've cash in the bank;

But it is a class job, which is why I'm going to make a BIG effort to get the conservatory roof looking like new.  Once that's sorted, I honestly reckon it's an hours job for £85 and about a 20 minute drive.

Davew

« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2007, 05:29:46 pm »
You two having a tiff?