This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

trike

Re: AM I TO EXPENSIVE
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2008, 03:32:50 pm »
mine is about 15 a hour,3bed semi 5 quid,earn a very good living,carnt brumbble,if i charged even 6quid i wouild be turned down flat,i have tried putting prices up on new quotes but they wont have it

richywilts

« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2008, 07:40:45 pm »
i quoted for a lady yesterday she said she sacked the last w/c off because he was untrustworthy been seen looking thru customers garages, he charged £6 ev month i quoted her £15 8 weekly n she said know your too expensive i said im respectable trustworthy gave her my card with adress etc and was £3 dearer wfp too she wants to pay peanuts she can expect monkeys that will steal off her.
Richard Wiltshire
Window Clean Direct

richardwiltshire36@yahoo.co.uk
www.windowcleandirect.co.uk

dai

« Reply #42 on: November 26, 2008, 10:03:57 pm »
i quoted for a lady yesterday she said she sacked the last w/c off because he was untrustworthy been seen looking thru customers garages, he charged £6 ev month i quoted her £15 8 weekly n she said know your too expensive i said im respectable trustworthy gave her my card with adress etc and was £3 dearer wfp too she wants to pay peanuts she can expect monkeys that will steal off her.

But this isn't always the case, there are some window cleaners doing a thoroughly good job for £10 an hour.
The secret of a successful round is having the balls to ask the price, and customers that are happy to pay it.
I don't have either.
 I don't work for £10 an hour, but on the bread and butter stuff, by the time i'v added an hour and a half travelling time, and an hour for my Mrs filling my containers for the next day, I'm lucky to average £15.
My first job in the morning is a small community centre £20, and four small windows at a newsagent next door £4.
I do the two jobs with one backpack full and it takes 25 mins. Does that mean I'm earning over £50 an hour? I wish.

Wayne Thomas

« Reply #43 on: November 26, 2008, 10:13:45 pm »
The secret to decent prices is to pick the right areas, right customers, get a full round and always increase your previous quotes on new work of the same value and to maintain a full round.

NWH

« Reply #44 on: November 26, 2008, 10:19:42 pm »
You can`t compare prices it`s all down to the area you live and the work you have,some earn 15k-25k-50k-75k and some earn in excess of 250k.

brett walker

« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2008, 12:01:27 am »
Ive been window cleaning now for 11 years, 3 years ago I sold alot of my work off, the reason for this was rubbish prices, average hourly rate earned was £10- £15. Now ive built up a decent round were im cleaning an average of £25- £30 per hour. The problem Ive always found is with most jobs I quote for I dont get, the client says Im to expensive. Do you think my hourly rate is to much. I am based in the midlands.

Many thanks

Simon

Youve done the right thing getting rid of all your low priced work thats exactly what i did

i wouldnt say your expensive your just running a profitable business to make a living

i also dont get every job i quote for these days its easy to pick up all cheap jobs but its better to pick up less jobs but for more money

where abouts are you based in the midlands

regards

Brett

simonwonder

« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2008, 12:21:02 am »
if you feel you are worth what you are charging and you are providing value for money then no if however you are not getting the jobs that you are quoting and the clients are having someone else do their work then yes
if you are charging high and offering a tiered level of service with reflective pricing for less service and you are still not getting the work then yes

if you offer a gold service say glass /frames and internals
silver service glass and frames
bronze service glass only
maybe this is a way forward if you present 3 prices for different levels of service one will fit with your clients budget
hope this helps

karygate

« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2008, 07:19:49 am »
i earn around 12 quid an hour and that is because maybe i am a bit of a perfectionist. my minimum charge is 6 quid for a standard semi, i might be cheap but i have quoted now about 200 jobs and only not got 1 of them .
 there are others i know that if they only charged 1 quid to do my house i would still not have them .
unfortunately the more you charge it does not make you a better window cleaner and visa versa.
gary

NWH

« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2008, 04:17:59 pm »
i earn around 12 quid an hour and that is because maybe i am a bit of a perfectionist. my minimum charge is 6 quid for a standard semi, i might be cheap but i have quoted now about 200 jobs and only not got 1 of them .
 there are others i know that if they only charged 1 quid to do my house i would still not have them .
unfortunately the more you charge it does not make you a better window cleaner and visa versa.
The reason you`ve got all those jobs is because like you say you are cheap,you need to be somewhere in the middle or you`ll end up being a busy fool, and although you might be pleased at the moment you have enough work once things pick up again and work starts to flood in you will see your present prices in a different light maybe.

trike

« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2008, 05:06:15 pm »
im in the same boat people will not pay anymore,all my custies home owners very nice area 200k plus houses

seandyer2003

« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2008, 02:14:59 pm »
im in the same boat people will not pay anymore,all my custies home owners very nice area 200k plus houses

50 pence a year up, or .25 p a year otherwise inflation will take you over mate, but if you are employing and doing loads of work then fair enough, i couldnt live on 15ph when i had that work, but i was travelling 25 mile to do it so it worked out dear, especially of if you got rained off, i sold the work, and have replaced it with a quarter of houses i was doing for the same or more money monthly, maybe start travelling to areas that people will pay it

« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2008, 11:24:19 pm »
Keep canvassing, do a good job, and always charge more for new work than a piece of work that you already have. Over time you will earn what you need/want.
It's true there is always a hedgehog (has spikey hair, hibernates in winter) who's cheaper but if they want their lawnmower/garden furniture nicked that's up to them.
Once you have enough work to fill your time keep canvassing and drop all the tightwads and moaners.
You don't always get what you pay for, but you don't get what you don't pay for :)

Londoner

« Reply #52 on: November 30, 2008, 07:29:15 am »

Thats the difference in a nutshell.  Round here you can't buy any house for 200K not even a run down ex council house on a rough estate. When house prices are so different you must expect window cleaning to follow the same price trends.

barry80

« Reply #53 on: November 30, 2008, 11:16:00 pm »
Ive been a window cleaner for 23 years and I am happy with 6.50 to 7 pound :)s a hour
hello.

seandyer2003

« Reply #54 on: December 01, 2008, 07:41:06 am »

Thats the difference in a nutshell.  Round here you can't buy any house for 200K not even a run down ex council house on a rough estate. When house prices are so different you must expect window cleaning to follow the same price trends.

wont be like that for long :), they are gonna come tumbling, plus where do you live? downing street, i doubt theres many areas of they country you cant get a house with 200k, even if its a 2 up 2 down or an apartment bedsit or 1 bed ....