This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Luke Johnson

Re: Fly dirt on pvcu frames.
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 08:39:53 pm »
I recommend using Avon Skin So Soft on the frames, the SAS use it as an insect repellant, it is the only thing they find works 100%, if you rub it in regularly, the flies wont like going there. But please dont get it on your glass, dont forget the window cleaner!

jeff1

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 08:52:37 pm »
Marilyn,

Have you ever had creeping ivey growing near or around the frames at any time??

If you have, then the little buggers have suckers that create what looks like fly poo, you can use all sorts on this and they tend to come back after a few day's.

If this is the case the only way to get rid of anything on upvc is by useing this method and that is by useing cellulose thinners, apply this to a cloth wipe over the cill, but instantly wipe over the cill again with a clean dry cloth, do not leave these thinners on until dry or your cills will melt.

This will get rid of anything but use it with caution.

Marilyn

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 08:56:54 pm »
Thanks for all your advice guys, have to sign off now.  Will be out tomorrow trying your tips.  Will let you know how I get on.  May come in handy if you come across a customer with a problem like mine.

Marilyn

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 09:02:51 pm »
Marilyn,

If you have, then the little buggers have suckers that create what looks like fly poo, you can use all sorts on this and they tend to come back after a few day's.

If this is the case the only way to get rid of anything on upvc is by useing this method and that is by useing cellulose thinners, apply this to a cloth wipe over the cill, but instantly wipe over the cill again with a clean dry cloth, do not leave these thinners on until dry or your cills will melt.

[/quote

No ivy. 

jeff1

« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 09:07:12 pm »
Marilyn,

[/quote

No ivy. 

Ok
You can still use the descibed method, but don't rub it in just wipe it on and then straight off, you can then apply some polish (house hold will do) just to bring back its shine.
This method will leave your upvc as new as the day it was installed.

Davew

« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2007, 10:43:40 pm »
I'm just down the road from Warminster in fact I used to live there. Do you need a window cleaner down your road? I was having a look around Upton Scudamore only last week. There is a upvc window manufacturer and a window cleaner supplier (scrim city) on the industrial estate just up the road from Longbridge Devrill ,turn left at the garage and head towards Sutton Veny. ;)
ps. I don't suppose it is rust? - are you near a railway line or something?

Paul Coleman

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2007, 08:20:35 am »
Thanks for all your advice guys, have to sign off now.  Will be out tomorrow trying your tips.  Will let you know how I get on.  May come in handy if you come across a customer with a problem like mine.

Not sure about which chemicals as there are lots of them about.
I would suggest using something slightly abrasive though to do the cleaning action.  One of those washing up pads (foam one side and green abrasive stuff on the other).  Do take care to get them with light enough abrasion not to cause scratching though.

edd

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2007, 11:15:35 am »
TFR will get anything off period.
leave for ten mins then wipe off
heavy duty TFR ok if its fly crap it will come off with TFR
NEXT if it wont come off the next step is to get some 0000 wire wool
and take the top surface off with some cream cleaner then keep cleaning
without the wire wool as to re polish the plastic this way it has been stripped /
polished and redressed so a new surface can be seen but you must get all the
scratch marks off first
If the 0000 is not tough enough start with 00  or 000  grade it is a long job and
a learning curve but for sure IT WILL BE LIKE NEW Edd

Marilyn

« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2007, 04:53:00 pm »
I'm just down the road from Warminster in fact I used to live there. Do you need a window cleaner down your road? I was having a look around Upton Scudamore only last week. There is a upvc window manufacturer and a window cleaner supplier (scrim city) on the industrial estate just up the road from Longbridge Devrill ,turn left at the garage and head towards Sutton Veny. ;)
ps. I don't suppose it is rust? - are you near a railway line or something?

We are in Longbridge Deverill.  Yes Window place is Thermaglaze, just along in Sutton Veny,  they popped window out to get our settee in.  Definitely is flies.  If someone wanted to clean windows AND frames every time I would be delighted but they would have to get the fly poo off guaranteed!  If you are close you can have a look if you like.   As it is a bungalow it is fairly easy to clean the windows, it is the fly poo that is the problem.  It is enough to make you weep. 

Marilyn

« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2007, 04:55:22 pm »
without the wire wool as to re polish the plastic this way it has been stripped /
scratch marks off first
If the 0000 is not tough enough start with 00  or 000  grade it is a long job and

What is TFR and where can I get it

Marilyn

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2007, 05:01:12 pm »
scratch marks off first

What is TFR and where can I get it

Davew

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2007, 05:04:04 pm »
TFR is traffic film remover and I've got twenty five litres of the stuff in my garage. Never had to clean fly poo with it though I'm in Trowbridge. Do your neighbours get the same trouble?

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2007, 07:08:04 pm »
Right then i didnt want to give my secret away but here goes.

I have tried evry upvc cleaner on the market from b&q to upvc cleaner from window installers and they have had different effects.But i then tried something else i saw when i went out with the wife.......on upvc black scuff marks,fly mess,stains this suff removes it so well i went over it again to make sure.

I done a facia and cladding clean with it today and it looked brande new all those unsighlt black water marks gone super finish

You can get this from Poundland...Poundstretcher...........Woolworths....Robert Dyas they all stock this and here it is..........amazing go try some

http://www.jmldirect.com/Doktor-Power-PD0513/

P.s come back here when you have tried it and lets here your results

Mike 108

« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2007, 08:13:27 pm »
Easyclean.

"Doktor Power is an environmentally friendly hard cleaning stone that comes complete with a specially designed applicator which stores away easily in the lid. Non-toxic and bio-degradable, Doktor Power is incredible value and incredibly effective!"

When it says it is a STONE, what does it mean??  Is it a typing error?

Mike

Marilyn

« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2007, 08:57:45 pm »
Doktor Power sounds intriguing, might give it a go but am also confused by description.  Will be off to Woolies tomorrow to have a look.  Have today been out to do some test patches using polymer sealant to see if it stops the fly poo soaking in to make it easier to wash off.  It is something called Rain Runner which you use on glass to keep it cleaner.  Worked well on the shower screen.  In answer to Dave the neighbours do but not as bad.  I have done some research on flies and it seems our house is painted thier favourite colour.  I have suggested painting it battleship grey or black. 

Davew

« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2007, 09:32:35 pm »
Err what colour is it.......... brown?

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2007, 09:42:23 pm »
It would be yellow. Buttercup yellow, Anglian trialed some frames down there.

Marilyn

« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2007, 09:56:43 pm »
I see where you're coming from Dave, but no, it's sort of yellowy cream but it is the first thing the flies see when they fly out of the farmyard opposite!  I think what they are eating over there is what causes them to get the upset tummies that result in the brown stuff.  The house stands out like a glowing beacon as it is raised up high above the road.  Anglian trialed yellow windows?????    Unfortunately the fly experts are keen to tell you what colours they like but not what they don't.  I can say its not green (they like the patio set cover) , nor blue (the car is covered in black spots too), the only colour I've noticed they don't seem to land on is red.  Not sure the planning office will allow a red bungalow in an area of outstanding natural beauty.  I have thought I might try painting squares different colours and see which they hate most. 

Mike_G

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2007, 10:00:41 pm »
i do a job that gets covered in fly muck in the summer, as somebody said earlier ciff is pretty good. Degreaser works well too.

vivaro 013

« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2007, 10:09:07 pm »
never mind fly crap , has anybody heard of renovic for making frames white again