This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Alex Wingrove

Re: Broken Pole (pics) HELP!!!
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2007, 10:34:58 pm »
God knows what yours must look like Ian ??? ???  ;)

But I think Alex would want to look like a pro like the rest of us  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;)

with an avatar like that highrise i needn't worry, i never though of doing what ian says,

the ends are frayed, shall i cut them or leave, them i dont want the cracks to move further down he pole

NWH

« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 10:43:27 pm »
What ian giles said was spot on,the same happened to me and repaired it the same way as ian described and it worked perfectly you don`t always need to buy another section my repair has lasted me 5mths so far.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 10:52:03 pm »
Alex - use a fine tooth hacksaw and cut the ends flush.
It's a game of three halves!

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 10:52:50 pm »
will it be ok if i cut it, is it possible to cut off too much?

NWH

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 11:17:55 pm »
Cut of as little as you can make sure you put a mask on,ruff up the inside of the section and then apply superglue inside it,now ruff up the outside of the smaller peice that broke off and superglue that on the outside and then drop it down the longer section.

Jason Atwell

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2007, 04:21:17 pm »
Suppose thats what happens when you use a fishing rod! :-X

But seriously these pole arent designed for the job they are doing, how common is this problem?
Fleetwood Window Cleaning Services

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2007, 04:43:37 pm »
not very often me thinks,

i was using it to close a window not clean a window putting to much pressure where i shouldnt be putting

if i have to cut too much off, can i make one section bigger with plumbers tape and some tape?

steve m

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2007, 05:05:18 pm »
go to your local fishing tackle shop. I did,only cost me a tenner

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007, 05:17:39 pm »
right ive done what ian said, very nice fix aswell

ive cut a goot 5inches off the pole from either end, and added a bit of pvc tape to give it a bit more grip and added the glue, 5 secs later it was set, and not going anywhere, wrapped some duct tape around the exposed end of the join and now it as good as new

Thanks guys

i think if it happens again ill buy the section new, as the top end of it is a bit fragile,  thought that was the end of my 40ft days

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2007, 07:29:02 pm »
 :) Moral dont try to close windows, was it an open sash pushing up or a top opener trying to push/lever it to ?

Chris Cottrell

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2007, 07:33:14 pm »
Alex

Glad you got sorted, I went in to that shop today and asked them how much that section is and they quoted me the price that was in the Leeda catalogue which was £30 but they wont post because they get too much damage from couriers  

Chris

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2007, 09:07:43 pm »
I snapped a section of my pole yesterday. >:(

Right at the end where it locates into the next section, it just cracked and dangled off.
I tried gaffer taping it up, but it won't hold it when it's got the weight of the other sections above it.

All sections are shredded to bits, but just about usable...until now.

Joy. Now I can't do any higher than 1st floor windows. >:(

NWH

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2007, 09:57:19 pm »
When you can afford it squeaky but a 24ft carbon facelift you`ll use it 80-90% of the time,therefore the fishing type poles will last you ages.There not designed to be taken apart and put together again as much as we do,don`t forget a bloke goes to the canal puts it together and sits there all afternoon fishing with it,we probobly give it more of a hammering in a day than he does in years.I love mine but accept that it`s to flimsy for use all the time.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2007, 10:02:20 pm »
Could be months before I can afford to do anything about it.

Meanwhile, I've got to keep letting people down by not doing some top windows, or ones above conservatories (which is what put too much pressure on it).

Jeff Brimble

« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2007, 10:03:10 pm »
What make of pole was it Squeaky ?
Maybe use a smaller tougher one for everyday use to, say... 20ft.
Suggestion for c/f tapered, wrap one turn of pvc tape round the tips or ptfe tape if thats too thick.Renew as needed. Expanded foam filled tips tend to bell out and take the wear instead of the pole ends. Silicon also works the same way if you squash it a bit to flatten it out. Also wrap 5-8 turns round the base sections to help protect the butts a bit from chipping. Also helps keep them seperate when storing inside each other.
Still using mine after 18 months. So they can be made to last.
ps also put a couple of turns of tape at the joint as a "stop" prevents any pole locking up.

NWH

« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2007, 10:04:42 pm »
Which section is it squeaky,i might have a section you can have i`ve got quiet a few spare ones.

Alex Wingrove

« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2007, 10:42:05 pm »
i use the ron thompson for everyday work, a bit whippy at times, but for most stuff not about 15ft its great, really durable as well

i dont get my carbon out for anything below 2nd story, although saying that i snapped it when i was trying to close a open outie angled window,

AuRavelling79

« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2007, 06:43:34 pm »

Meanwhile, I've got to keep letting people down by not doing some top windows, or ones above conservatories (which is what put too much pressure on it).

So get round to Ian and ask him how to repair it.

Sir Squeaky

« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2007, 07:07:12 pm »

So get round to Ian and ask him how to repair it.
Can't see how you can repair it when it's snapped in half 5 inches from the end. ???
It's basically the "male" part, so a join would have to take the full strain. :-\

AuRavelling79

« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2007, 07:20:20 pm »
So you take the broken section and jam it into the next "female" pole end, glue it, fill it with foam and gaffer tape it.

Malc "of the if it ain't broke it soon will be class" Gold