This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

fergus77

Small business grant to get started off?
« on: June 28, 2007, 05:01:12 pm »
Hey all,

first time posting on the forum so please go eay on me.

I would like to get started off in the window cleaning business, and after some guidance from a friend and fellow window cleaner i would like to take the plunge and get some equipment.

I'm currently unemployed (Fat lot of good my degree did  ::) ), and looking to get some sort of small business GRANT to get started.

Has anybody heard of such a thing?

I know a few years ago they were avalible but unsure now.

My main worries are no financial backing for equipment, registering with the FWC, and public liability insurance

Paul Coleman

Re: Small business grant to get started off?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 05:21:29 pm »
The fi8rst one can be done on a loan if you are creditworthy.  The second one you needn't bother with as it's optional - though you may wish to look at that when you are earning.  The third one isn't compulsory but is highly advisable.  £1million quids worth of cover can usually be got for under £100.

fergus77

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 05:25:55 pm »
Thanks Shinner, so basically what your saying is a business loan from the bank is the best bet to start off?

My credit is good so there wouldn't be any problem there, it's just the thought of the interest i'd owe, as well as the repayments.

Thats why i thought a business grant would be better. No repayments and no interest to pay

Paul Coleman

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 05:34:02 pm »
Thanks Shinner, so basically what your saying is a business loan from the bank is the best bet to start off?

My credit is good so there wouldn't be any problem there, it's just the thought of the interest i'd owe, as well as the repayments.

Thats why i thought a business grant would be better. No repayments and no interest to pay

Obviously a grant would be better but even if such things still exist, you usually need to have been unemployed or not working for quite a while to qualify.

If no grant is obtainable, if you borrow money it may be easier (and cheaper) to do it as personal borrowings rather than business borrowings.  Although you may have an OK rating, your business doesn't.

I'm not sure this is the best place to ask about start-up grants.  Maybe your local DHSS office can help.

I just got this web page up

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=business+start+grant&btnG=Google+Search&meta=cr%3DcountryUK%7CcountryGB

when I searched the UK part of google on the words

business start grant

Some of the links on there might help you.

ronnie paton

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 05:45:30 pm »
i recieved £500 its called a business start up from business link chambers and commerce i think??

Majestic

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 05:47:44 pm »
I dont if you can still get them but there used to be a company called Lawtec who were prepaired to give you £1k ,If you had been unemployed for 6 months and wanted to start up a small business.

You had to go on a 2 day business course,where  they showed you all you needed to know about running a small business. The money was paid to you at £50 per week.

fergus77

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 06:44:41 pm »
Ok, thanks for the info guys.

Been unemployed since finishing my degree last year, aparently Cornwall is the worst place to be for enviornmental jobs and since the degree was in that, i'm stuck. Plenty of business and economic's modules though, and my old mans a finanical adviser  ;), so just need the start up cost.

Cheers for that search Shinner, i'll have a peep at it later.

Thanks again for the advice

Mikescape

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 08:37:24 pm »
HELLO CHAP, WHY ON EARTH ARE U ASKING ON HERE FOR IF YOUR OLD MAN IS A FINANCIAL ADVISER?
If he can't give you the answers, what hope have we all got????  :o :o :- ??? ;D
mike

P®oPole™

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 07:48:40 am »

fergus77

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 09:21:49 am »
Hey Mikescape, already asked the big man as he only deals with life insurance and pentions he didn't have to much info for me, plus he's in N. Ireland and i'm in Cornwall. Apparently there's differant bodies to approach.

As Propole has just mentioned, the Princess Trust might be able to help me out.

Emailed those guys a short business proposal and hopefully should hear back from them soon.

Cheers guys

fergus77

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 02:48:11 pm »
Just to let everyone know, the Princes trust called me today and are now taking my proposal further. Will know either this afternoon or early next week.

To anybody  in the same situation as me, gave the Trust a try, the could well be able to help

P®oPole™

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 09:07:52 am »
Just to let everyone know, the Princes trust called me today and are now taking my proposal further. Will know either this afternoon or early next week.

To anybody  in the same situation as me, gave the Trust a try, the could well be able to help

Hi Mate,

Glad you found them helpfull, I fully recommend the Trust they are a great organisation.

However if you think you will have an answer this afternoon or early next week, im affraid your mistaken. Try six months at the least ;)

ProPole

fergus77

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 11:58:05 am »
Hey Propole,

your probably right as they didn't contact me again yesterday but assured me i would be contacted. just a matter of waiting time now

P®oPole™

« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 11:41:18 am »
Hi  fergus77,

They will get back to you, but you wll be waiting a very long time before you even get close to smelling the Princes crisp notes.

Business plans, meetings, cash flow forecasts, more meetings, personal profile, pre-marketing proof and alot more.

If you make it through all that then you will get a seat at the round table, ever seen the Dragons Den ;)

ProPole

williamx

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 04:21:20 pm »
Fergus

Most of the business grants to help the unemployed into work seem to have been stopped, you should though contact your local Chamber of commerce or Busness Link as there are still a few grants available if you meet certain conditions.

What you should look at is Tax Credits, this you can claim even if you have no children and are self-employed., it dosen't pay a lot but when you first start out every penny counts.

Go to this web site and click on the Do I Qualify tab.  http://www.taxcredits.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/qualify/WhatAreTaxCredits.aspx

fergus77

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2007, 08:36:31 pm »
hey guy's, seems your right Propole, they are setting up a meeting with the area corodinater and then i present my business plan. Think i could be in with a long wait. Problem is i want to work now, not in 6 months time if you get my drift. Ah well, there's always light at the end of the tunnel.

Williamx, will check that out but i do have daughter which we claim for, so they might not be able to help.

« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 08:52:38 pm »
HELLO CHAP, WHY ON EARTH ARE U ASKING ON HERE FOR IF YOUR OLD MAN IS A FINANCIAL ADVISER?
If he can't give you the answers, what hope have we all got????  :o :o :- ??? ;D
mike
lol good point there Mike

Pure Reflection

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2007, 07:00:28 pm »
One thing for sure is don't ask your Bank.
One manager said to me.
If you believe in it, go for it.
If it works you wont need any help from us.

Six months later he offered me a loan.

My reply was, thanks but no-thanks. I took your advice and have spent 6 months using my past pennies setting this up. Now I don't need your money.

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2007, 07:48:58 pm »
One thing for sure is don't ask your Bank.
One manager said to me.
If you believe in it, go for it.
If it works you wont need any help from us.

Six months later he offered me a loan.

My reply was, thanks but no-thanks. I took your advice and have spent 6 months using my past pennies setting this up. Now I don't need your money.
good on you, I aksed the bank a few months ago for a load to buy new stuff for business pc's server, van etc they said you already have a load (£1500) said I would pay that back that day but no joy, I was a little pi==ed to be honest I have about 100k in my house but i didnt argue the point I walked out and thought to myself I will show them, now have the money I needed didnt have to pay the silly interest they charged, I too got a call from them asking me if i needed a loan I said what you offering mwe they said you have upto 50k if you need this I said i dont need your money thats (felt very nice saying that) and im moving banks to (they lose not me)

Lizzy

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2007, 03:52:36 pm »
princes youth business trust, as propole said.

Even if they reject your loan application, they could offer you a bursary.
Additionally, your jobcentre should be able to point you in the direction of a scheme funded by the government to assist people back to work via self employment.  Even if its a few hundred quid, its worth it.  Money for nothing is good.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.