This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dragonet

window Rubber smearing on to frame
« on: September 23, 2004, 10:57:20 pm »

Hi all,

I was cleaning a house today and as I wiped the frames some black stains come of the rubber and on to the white UPVC tried to wipe it of and it will not budge >:(
I tried rewetting and even tried a general purpose cleaner and it just will not lift.
Has anyone else had this problem?
can anyone tell me how to remove it?

Thanks in advance

Martin
The Clean Cut Company
South Wales
The Clean Cut Company
Wales

WavieDavie

Re: window Rubber smearing on to frame
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2004, 11:46:03 pm »
If you don't already have a wfp see if you can get some de-ionised water from someone who has and use that with a microfibre cloth. You might be able to get some DI water from a motor factor - I've seen some in a Brown Bros we clean for, they're in the Partco group of companies, there must be one of the subsidiaries in the group close to you.

Thanks to Craig Mawlam for the DI tip!

Failing that, try Brasso, T-Cut or Amway Metal Cleaner but watch out as they're all mildly abrasive and you'll probably have to do the whole frame, so the clean patch doesn't show the rest of it up.

Here's a previous thread . . . http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Equipment;action=display;num=1094481402;start=1#1

E&OE
"Errors and omissions excepted" Normally found on legal documents, but that means if it doesn't turn out right, don't come back to me!
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk

Ian_Giles

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2004, 12:13:04 am »
When that happens it is a real swine, and it will happen every time if you are not careful
The sunlight has oxidised the black rubber and it wont stop coming off no matter what you do.
Is it an old, early version of UPVC window? it usually is.
The problem will be there everytime you clean the windows.
When it happened to me I just told the customer there was nothing you could do about it, and also demonstrated the problem so she could see for herself.
She was cool about it, and we just had to be more careful with detailing, but we still got the odd mark though.

Ian

Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

dragonet

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 02:27:42 am »
cheers guys

The previous window cleaner did not seem to care and it is all over the frame. I showed the client the Frames and she accepted that it could not be helped but I cannot walk away leaving the job in it's current state so I will try the removal methods suggested cheers WavieDavie.

I told her that I would post the problem on this forum and get back to her which impressed her greatly ;)

I am worried about the next clean though, as I am trying to impress the rest of the close with my high standards of work. I will approach it gingerly next time thamks for the advice Ian_Giles

Martin
The Clean Cut Company
The Clean Cut Company
Wales

WavieDavie

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 03:16:45 am »
Craig Mawlam only mentioned that DI was good for taking off the black marks - the microfibre part was me.
You're a Scottish window-cleaner? Licensed or not, get yourself along to www.slwcn.org right now !

Davie Park
Dalzell Window Cleaning Service - Edinburgh www.windowscleaner.co.uk