This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

POOR QUALITY WORK - WATER FED POLES
« on: September 15, 2004, 11:03:50 pm »
Hi,

I was recently approached by a woman for a quote for her house and her neighbor (I do the houses on either side of them).  

She said 'Yes' to £7.50; said I was a pound more expensive than her present window cleaner, but didn't mind because I used a squeegie thing!

After a little questioning I discovered that she and her neighbor have a window cleaner that uses a water-fed pole and they were far from happy with the result and willing to pay extra to have a traditional window cleaner.

Do water fed poles keep residential customers happy?  Anecdotal evidence I've heard suggest otherwise.

I'd love to get a WFP, but I couldn't afford to lose too many customers at present.

What's your veiws?

poleman

Re: POOR QUALITY WORK - WATER FED POLES
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 11:54:09 pm »
Good to see that you have a open mind regaring the WFP, yes you will get some customers that like it the old way and YES some windows dont come up as good, but when or if you get a WFP it will take time to work out which is the best why to do each type of window.

IF you do go for it then all i can say it was the best business move i made ;)

Andy

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2004, 11:59:58 pm »
hi andy what wfp would you reccomend i agree with you geordie does have a point :-/

pjulk

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2004, 12:00:24 am »
I have picked up some work also around my area the guy who used to do them had a WFP.
I was talking to another window cleaner who use's traditional method and he was telling me the chap with the WFP has lost quite a few customers since he had his pole and it's because he has been leaving windows with spots on.
I expect the chap is using it wrong or something as i know a lot of window cleaners on here love them

Paul

poleman

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2004, 12:32:03 am »
THE best why is to tell you customers that you are using WFP from the start, chap round my way said to his that he can not us ladders because of the new health and safety laws and you will now be geting your frames cleaned at the same time, which they love.

IT was not easy to change over but you are tiwce a fast so twice as much money and you can go for the big jobs and all from the safety from the ground... no going up a ladder on the mosey patios ;) so glad I got my WFP System, OH YES got my WFP from Brodex good company.  

choice.clean

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 10:12:02 am »
been there done that when i first bought my wfp i had a big problem getting the right results an lost a lot of customers but 3 years on we generally have no problems as i have tried to get over to so many wfp suppliers they need to offer more comprehensive training i even suggested to the window federation that they have a contact system for window cleaners with the system to help people from other areas to see how the system works and give a bit of basic training (why other areas because you don,t want to train up your local competition) but no go on that one the wfp industry will eventually learn because the negative feedback such as you see from time to time on this forum about poles will dent there industry. also keep in mind that it costs much more than you think to get into wfp,s i calculate around £15000 p.s. i spent that just in year 1 so if you can,t get the business keep it simple.

Ian_Giles

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 05:03:09 pm »
Hiya Tosh, so that is what you were asking when I bumped into you the other ;D
Glad it wasn't me that had the dissatisfied customer!
I have found that getting the first couple of cleans right is the hardest part, and all of the different types of windows seem to need a slightly different technique.
Some windows you have to steer clear of, and so far I have found that any window that has oxidized frames are to be avoided, you just cannot get them anywhere  near as clean with WFP as you can with Traditional methods.
If you arer a fussy and particular cleaner you will not really have many problems, jsut because there is someone using WFP, it doesn't necessarily follow that they will do a good job.
You will leave the odd spots on windows, you cannot know if you have done a perfect job or not until they have dried out, and it can certainly take 2, 3 or even more cleans until the windows are coming up absolutely spotless, but the benifits are huge, overall you most certainly work quicker, and the safety aspect simply cannot be overstated.
But take your time deciding to get WFP, the longer I'm the only local guy in Chepstow with one the better ;D

Cheers,

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

replacement

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 06:25:24 pm »
If you use the pole correctly and understand about the water side of things after a few cleans they come up great. Thou saying that you do get the odd problem now and again but people are more than happy the frames get done as well.

I agree there is a technique need to use the pole and each window you might need to change this and the flow rate to insure you do a good job.

Justin

sham33

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 07:49:58 pm »
I've been using glass gleam 4 for well over a year on all my customers so when i convert to wfp im hoping it well go smoothly  :-/

poleman

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 08:33:48 pm »
yes indeed it will help change over if you use GG3, One thing regaring quality I have found is some time its best to not have lots of water on some windows because round the frames and windows some parts our not sealed and the water go's up this and 5/10mins later runs down the window, if a first time clean and the frames are black then you will need to wash them down then just go back and clean just the glass, had a first time clean last month and today went back and thought right not to much water because were the frame go's in the building its not sealed so just turn down the water and the windows come up VERY WELL. ;)

Andy  

Doug_Redfarn

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2004, 09:59:28 am »
I think the problem this Guy's having has to be down to old detergent residues on the Glass & the seals between glass & frame. It probably looks great when done, but after he's left for his next job, the water has mixed with the old residue & run down the glass, leaving the streaks & spot effect. I guess the only prectical way is to advise Customers that this WILL happen in many instances, for at least the first few cleans. And, some frames, like older style Ally ones which have begun to oxidise are just too much to take on. Fortunately, most homes & comms. have UPVC which can also be cleaned at the same time, a good selling point.

I do think too that the positives of WFP easily outweigh the negatives of the traditional route, like falling off a ladder & breaking your neck! No contest really.

poleman

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2004, 04:22:42 pm »

I do think too that the positives of WFP easily outweigh the negatives of the traditional route, like falling off a ladder & breaking your neck! No contest really.

Doug, very much so, wont get me up a ladder again  money is to good and my family know when I go to work, I work from the saftey of the ground ;)

Andy

Londoner

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2004, 11:21:28 am »
I live and work around North West London and I havent seen a single WFP being used on domestic customers. (Loads on commercial)

My wife is convinced that the customers will not accept them and that is why they aren't around.I must admit I can see her point. If there are a few teething problems to start with so much the worse.

I really like the idea of a WFP but can't see how I could convert my existing customers.

I have thought about starting a second round with all new customers and develop my skills on "practice" customers who never knew me before. If they don't like it and dump me there is nothing much lost.

Glen

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2004, 02:50:53 pm »
I have similar reservations to Vince. I really am fed up with climbing ladders though and would relish the thought of a WFP.

The other thing is that I don't have a van and would be looking at a trailer mounted/mobile system. Will the new 125litre system to be featured at the Windex show be such a system?

So, can anyone definitively say whether a WFP is suitable for residential ( 98% of my custom) and is there a trailer/mobile system available?

Regards,

Glen.

Craig_Mawlam

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2004, 03:56:36 pm »
If you are experiancing WFP problems or are looking into gettting into waterfed pole work it would be well worth your while comming on a British Window Cleaning Academy Waterfed Pole Course.

The course will teach you everything you need to know to make WFP work go smoothly right from the start as well as giving you answers to water treatment issues so that you can ask the right questions when talking to the different suppliers.

The new H&S Guidance notes for WFP's are due to be published soon and you can also learn about these as well as gaining useful marketing ideas and an opportunity to network with other window cleaners.

The BWCA is running a number of regional courses between now and Christmas, for further information contact us on 0800 146133 or visit http://www.ionicsystems.com to see the BWCA pop up detailing dates and venues.

Kind regards
Craig Mawlam
BWCA C&G NVQ Centre

Glen

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2004, 02:20:57 am »
Thanks for the reply, Craig. Are there any courses being run in Ireland?

Craig_Mawlam

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2004, 11:02:15 am »
Not this year, however there will be one in Warrington next month not too far from the ferry terminal.

Rgds

Craig

Glen

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2004, 01:12:50 pm »
Craig,

What about next year? Do you normally run the course in Ireland?

Glen.

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2004, 10:53:34 pm »
Wold love to come to the cleaning academy.Phoned and asked for details?nothing ever arrived.

Craig_Mawlam

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2004, 02:25:15 am »
Dear easyclean.

Sorry you didn't get the info first time round, please PM me your address and I will personally post the course info to you.

rgds
Craig