Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mark_roberts

Water tanks on the van
« on: September 07, 2004, 12:07:57 am »
Thinking of putting a 45 gallon water barrel on the van to fill the portable.

How do I get the water from the barrel into the portable if they are on the same level ie. I cant use gravity.

thanks
Mark

Shaun_Ashmore

Re: Water tanks on the van
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 12:12:16 am »
Ask John Flynn he has done this before.

Shaun

Dave Parry

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2004, 12:42:36 am »
Why you doing this Mark, Dont your customers have a water supply? I bet they do, and its probably hot as well. Also think of the weight about 450 lbs or or 204 kgs.
Bracknell, Berkshire,
Phoenix T/M,
http://www.cleanercarpets.org/index.html

Dynafoam

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2004, 02:07:35 am »
Mark,

Transferring the water is easy - either a submersible pump (as used in ponds) or and external impeller pump (as used in washing machines) will give a good flow-rate.

I share Dave's reservations about the value and weight.

The tank would need to be properly secured - in the event of a front-end collision, with two vehicles each travelling at only 30 mph the momentum of the tank would enormous. The impact on your bulkhead or seat would be roughly equivalent to being hit by a family saloon car travelling at 15 mph. If you cannot visualise the energy involved, try driving your van into a brick wall at 10 mph.

John.

conallon

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2004, 02:49:38 am »
hi mark why not just buy a tank cleaning support do some 140 litre ones ( lot safer ) tel 01923 330034 uk dealer, look on cross american website, now if your porty as a connection for a scrubber you could run a pump like john said to fill up solution tank  ;)

Conrad

p.s are you wanting to operate porty from van ?

Dave_Lee

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2004, 03:12:38 am »
Mark,
I assume your meaning to use your porti without taking it out of the van. If this is the case why not just get a TM.
A portable is just that, its not a TM, its meant to be taken out and wheeled to the job. Any on board water tank has to be adequately secured, but a water bowser even more so, due to the head of waters centre of gravity being so high. 50 gallons of water weighs 500 lbs.
Dave.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Shorty

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2004, 08:51:53 am »
Course you could always drop the potty on the ground, leaving the water tank in the van.

Instant gravity feed.

Cheers,

Shorty.
Shorty.

The short, round, mound of sound, from up top, down under.

Len Gribble

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2004, 09:50:43 pm »
Mark

Whatever water tank you put in make sure its baffled and a watertight lid.

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

alan_lewis

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 10:16:15 pm »
Hello Mark

Have you received your booster yet from Bob Savage, could you e-mail me, would like to ask a few questions.

Thanks

Alan

mark_roberts

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2004, 12:23:12 am »
The reason for carring water is to speed up the job time instead of 6 buckets of water from the tap (60 litres) I'd fill the portable and wheel to the front door.  95% of my jobs the portable stays outside.

Of course I would fix it to the van floor.  I didnt think of baffles.  Do the prochem tanks have baffles?

Weight isnt a problem as I've a 350 LWB transit.  I bought it to get a truckmount but not so sure I really need or want one to be honest.

Alan, not got the booster yet as it has to be specially made for our electric spec.

Also for those small jobs when I can get parked real close I could leave the portable in the van and run 50ft of hose.

Mark

Len Gribble

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2004, 01:14:01 am »
Mark

Prochem as far as I believe only do two types of tanks saddle tanks and a sub mount need to check with them if this one fit yours, don’t think any of them have baffles, that also applies to the others imports from the US, you will know when going round a corner or coming to stop. Remember equal weight, low centre of gravity.

The cheaper option is have one made for you check in yellow pages under Fiberglas mine cost £400 including baffles, then I’m a tm/porty

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Shorty

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2004, 06:41:40 am »
Why not go to one of your agricultural stores?.

They usually have roto-moulded ones.

The farmers use them for pesticides, etc;

They also, (down under), have a 12 volt pump attached to them, to pump the liquid out.

Same as what you can buy from a chemical supplier, but a darn sight cheaper.

Cheers,

Shorty

Shorty.

The short, round, mound of sound, from up top, down under.

conallon

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2004, 12:21:31 am »
hi Mark
           how do you use porty outside when its raining  ???

Len Gribble

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2004, 12:33:33 am »
Use a cover or in Dave P’s case a top hinged door. ;D

Len

cleanability

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2004, 12:37:58 am »
How about a very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very very long hose permanently connected to the hot water tap in your house. Then you can drive to every job, but use your own water at a temperature of your choosing. Even better, attach the hose  to a mixer tap with your wife/girlfriend on tap duty waiting for the call from you to tell her the temperature you require. I think this solution is on a par with driving round with a water tank in your van !!!!!   ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o ;D :o                          

Sorry Couldnt resist it

Chris

conallon

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 01:02:27 am »
got it, when its raining leave solution tank lid open  ;D

Dynafoam

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2004, 01:19:47 am »
got it, when its raining leave solution tank lid open  ;D

And with a very VERY big funnel, it should shield the machine  ;D

mark_roberts

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2004, 02:19:12 am »
I use a plastic cover although Ashbys have a 'tailored' rain cover for the Ninja.

Dynafoam

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2004, 03:33:00 am »
Mark,

I find the biggest problem with a plastic cover if re-filling in heavy rain without the machine getting soaked. I have never found the time to design a cover that has a waterproof flap for this purpose.

If I can get the van anywhere near the building I put the machine under the vans' plastic awning.

John.

conallon

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2004, 04:02:59 am »
Mark
       couldnt agree with you more regarding the bucket situation been looking at ways round this myself thinking of boosting vac and leaving porty in van on certain jobs,

good luck with whatever you try

Conrad