Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

John Kelly

Re: in demand
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2007, 07:36:07 pm »
People can post what they like on here. But always remember, its what you do with your business which puts money in your pocket. What other people do or say has little bearing on what happens to you, so why worry. Just concentrate on what matters.

carpetguy

« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2007, 08:13:29 pm »
What I love about this kind of post, is, it get's a load of people talking and usually something usefull comes out of it.

There was a time when we were booked solid for about two, or more weeks ahead, but it was due to VERY HEAVY MARKETING over a wide area and we were working our butts off.

Len Gribble

« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2007, 08:26:55 pm »
Derek

Slowly but sorely!  But think you may be right got the wink eco. 8) ;)

Rob

usually something usefull comes out of it. I concur a lot between the lines :o

Len
Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other. (Sidcup Kent)

Steve Chapman

« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2007, 08:50:33 pm »
dave Liahona

I know what your saying and over the months i have raised my prices, but the

thing is I was working my butt off doing 5 & sometimes 6 jobs a day with a

portable, so now I have the t/m i feel like i am cruising along.

I know a lot of guys like to take it easy, but I'm the sort that runs everywhere

and enjoy it, if i'm not doing something I hate it,  so regardless of what my

prices are I'd probably still end up doing 4 jobs a day! ( if I can get them! )

Although I do get to do the best ones as I employ my brother full time now ;D

Obviously if some jobs are whole properties that would make 2 jobs a day!

I'm also in the process of really building up the business with new customers so

I can take a back seat at some stage and concentrate on marketing etc.

regards
steve

Liahona

« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2007, 11:21:44 pm »
Excellent, glad you are doing well!!  Best, Dave.

mark_roberts

« Reply #45 on: April 29, 2007, 11:33:25 pm »
I worry about posts like this because I dont get lots and lots of referrals.  Lots of repeat but not tons of referrals.

Aways makes me think Im doing something wrong but from questionaires the customers are happy.

The yanks talk about cheerleaders but Im stuck with ballboys.

Mark

PS. maybe should make a new thread about referrals or just carry on here

Liahona

« Reply #46 on: April 29, 2007, 11:50:40 pm »
Mark, apart from maybe one or two a year I dont get any referrals either, so you aren't alone.  Best, Dave.

Jason Hedges

« Reply #47 on: April 29, 2007, 11:57:33 pm »
I normally find referalls come soon after you've done initial job. Did a job on Friday, got a call from custys father a day later asking when I could go round and do his carpets as his son was over the moon.

Few and far between though!

Jason Hedges

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2007, 12:12:26 am »
I think the way forward is offering incentives for referrals (doing a decent job SHOULD be enough but often isn't).

Thought about free clean after so many referrals or paying commission after every job referred but still unsure, have read several posts on here on the subject but still not sure on best way to go about it.

Would be nice if a customer told their friends/family you'd done a good job (which sometimes happens, normally with family more than friends I've found) but think people can be embarrased (especially talking to friends/associates) about having their carpets/upholstery professionally cleaned due to misconceptions about keeping their own items clean.

All the best,
Jason.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2007, 07:25:39 am »
I thought it was just me and the way I cleaned that I did not get that many refferals, but looking at the way the South East is people dont seem to talk anymore.

Testamonials all come in very pleasing for me, offer Money £25 per refferal that has £100 pounds of work done and £10 for under £100. If they get me 5 Jobs I will clean for them for Free next year.

I just think that people just dont talk about their cleaning because so few people actualy get their carpets cleaned. I still think the public have a thing in their head that if it needs cleaning you must be really dirty so people dont talk about it.

Cheers

Neil

John Kelly

« Reply #50 on: April 30, 2007, 07:40:54 am »
We used to leave vouchers with the customers name on. Once 5 vouchers were redeemed by new customers the original one got £20. Ran this for about 2 years and only paid out 200 quid, worth doing though as I got a lot of 2 and 3 vouchers redeemed which cost nowt.

Neil Grainger

« Reply #51 on: April 30, 2007, 10:08:38 am »
I think I'm losing the will to carry on  This time last years booked up for the week with £1500 worth of work this week, one small job for £60

Its is really making me wonder weather its worth carrying on with. Strange times.

chrisg

« Reply #52 on: April 30, 2007, 01:19:35 pm »
I worry about posts like this because I dont get lots and lots of referrals.  Lots of repeat but not tons of referrals.

Aways makes me think Im doing something wrong but from questionaires the customers are happy.

The yanks talk about cheerleaders but Im stuck with ballboys.

Mark

PS. maybe should make a new thread about referrals or just carry on here

same here, lots of repeats but very few referals,

i think customers recomended me, or i know they do, as a regular told me other day, but that person(s)  rarely act upon it!

im sceptical about these people say they get so many recomendeds, as i always do a top job, so why dont i get that many?

paul wright

« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2007, 01:39:16 pm »
mmm intresting posts,   well ive been trading over 12 years and this year in three months i hav done 90000 local ad/village type books/mags   u know what i mean lol   also i am in the yellow pages/bt book/tompson, and internet and nice sighnwritten van eetc etc    and i hav only got one job booked to do on the 9th of may !!!   also in the local rag every week and i still put out a 1000 half price flyers a week my self, i like neil am losing the will to carry on as well
p.s i am in the south east

davep

« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2007, 01:55:49 pm »
I wonder if its becaise of the early sunshine?  People out in the garden  :o

Neil Grainger

« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2007, 03:32:23 pm »
Davep

the sunshine makes people get thing done in my area July August always tye busiest Months of the Year.

Few bookings today though for this week but not much.

I bet i'll be on here in a few days saying i'm flat out again. Fingers Crossed.

Cheers

Neil

matt jones

« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2007, 06:05:22 pm »
I never relised till i started up what this business was really like. It seems that everyone is always in the same boat looking desperately for there next job makes you wonder really. It doesn't seem to be very stable career does it why is carpet cleaning so hard to break into you would think that we would be inendated with work. People really need to be educated so many people see carpets and upholstery as a maintenance free item why why why?
matt

Terry_Burrows

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2007, 06:13:57 pm »
its been very quiet in the south east :-\
WWW.FASTESTWINDOWCLEANER.CO.UK
GUINNESS WORLD RECORD HOLDER
BURNING RUBBER FASTER!
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF MASTER WINDOW CLEANERS.

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2007, 06:15:31 pm »
Interest rates have gone up hence mortgages as well - Our Gord has taken even more in tax- petrol is 98 a lt - ale duty went up last month- house prices still rising-
People will wait till the carpet is minging instead of grubby before a clean.
I get my pension in 3 weeks and I am pleased to be cutting back a bit, instead of wondering where the work is.

Us olduns have been trying to educate householders for 30 yrs or more.

There are a lot more cleaners about than when I started. Yellow Pages had about a page and a half of cleaners now its 5 or 6 pages in our local edition. I'm glad I'm not starting now, although with the right marketing and enthusiasm it is possible.

Trevor
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

chrisg

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2007, 06:49:53 pm »
its been very quiet in the south east :-\

I believe, Essex and the south east is SATURATED with carpet cleaners, and from what i hear its tough down there, i would'nt like to start up down there now, you never get off the ground.